Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scissor lifts or 2 pole lifts for use in a home garage

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:45 pm

I’ve now had approval from SWMBO to modify a couple of our ‘sheds’ to create a garage…

Having had a very very frustrating experience of trying to do some home mechanicing on my N20 engined E89, I now realise that without easy access to the underside of the car it’s not practical to do much home maintenance/ upgrades..

I’ve long last driving up ramp type devices or crawling under a car chocked up with bricks etc..

I think I saw John E89 had a scissor lift in his garage ?

Anybody gone down this route and any observations/ advice / comments pls ?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pm

For the price it’s a steal Pbondar…£2.5k. 10mm thick steel arms, 4 rams, mechanical locks as well as umbrella valves. Superb bit of kit.
Attachments
0FBCB9EB-E468-43CD-B01E-7D831C54E243.jpeg
0FBCB9EB-E468-43CD-B01E-7D831C54E243.jpeg (165.1 KiB) Viewed 689 times
BE8C1641-2727-437B-A833-2F9232D9488B.jpeg
BE8C1641-2727-437B-A833-2F9232D9488B.jpeg (168.61 KiB) Viewed 689 times
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:05 pm

Have a look at Automotech services ltd, they have several different types. I went for the above as i use it a lot, maybe a little OTT for home garage use perhaps.

You can use a small 25litre compressor with them, you just need 6 bar to unlock the safety locks. They recommend 6inch of concrete floor but if your car isn’t cracking it anyway it’ll be fine as the load is even more spread with a lift.

Even easier is their mobile single post lift as it’s based on a pallet pump truck, battery operated, takes 2.5 tonnes.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:08 pm

Actually far more reasonable than I expected cost wise
Single pillar lift - https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/pr ... icle-lift/
Twin pillar lift - https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/pr ... post-lift/

For the difference in cost if space is no issue the double seems like the best bet :thumbsup:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:06 pm

Thanks everyone..I'll measure up the the proposed conversion..may not have enough height for the nice twin pillar lift so probably a sissor version is the way to go?

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:48 pm

Very interesting.
Thanks for the links FF. Much more affordable than I thought too.
Pbondar, I noticed that there is a lower height version of the twin pillar lift
https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/pr ... post-lift/
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 pm

Zulu4 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:48 pm Very interesting.
Thanks for the links FF. Much more affordable than I thought too.
Pbondar, I noticed that there is a lower height version of the twin pillar lift
https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/pr ... post-lift/
Thank you..that looks pretty close..given the limited roof height of the existing building that or scissor are both options..the two post looks (for me) a better option..I wonder what the negatives are?

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:56 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 pm Thank you..that looks pretty close..given the limited roof height of the existing building that or scissor are both options..the two post looks (for me) a better option..I wonder what the negatives are?
That one that Zulu posted is much better in terms of height and its cheaper! What is the height of the internal roof? The downloadable spec on the website gives exact dimensions for the lift

I suspect that there isnt really any negatives except the space it takes up, both pillars will need to be on secure ground obviously but thats it, there is only one motor on the lift so its not even like you need to maintain two of those. All in all I really am very surprised how inexpensive this is compared to my expectations! :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:52 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:56 pm
Pbondar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 pm Thank you..that looks pretty close..given the limited roof height of the existing building that or scissor are both options..the two post looks (for me) a better option..I wonder what the negatives are?

That one that Zulu posted is much better in terms of height and its cheaper! What is the height of the internal roof? The downloadable spec on the website gives exact dimensions for the lift

I suspect that there isnt really any negatives except the space it takes up, both pillars will need to be on secure ground obviously but thats it, there is only one motor on the lift so its not even like you need to maintain two of those. All in all I really am very surprised how inexpensive this is compared to my expectations! :thumbsup:
I have 2.3m floor to joist at the most likely point to base the actual lift section..so that looks like a result!

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:55 pm

Pbondar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:52 pm I have 2.3m floor to joist at the most likely point to base the actual lift section..so that looks like a result!
Thats a whole 276mm of clearance, plenty :thumbsup: :P

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:57 pm

I honestly thought something like this would be in excess of 2 or 3 grand

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:13 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:55 pm
Pbondar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:52 pm I have 2.3m floor to joist at the most likely point to base the actual lift section..so that looks like a result!
Thats a whole 276mm of clearance, plenty :thumbsup: :P
Quite so..kerching..

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:53 pm

Has anyone else bought a scissor jack?

I'm thinking of one for winter tinkering, they seem to vary in price a fair amount yet they look like they come from the same factory...?
IMOLA Z4///MR

stevespg

Post by stevespg » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:02 pm

I have a low height scissor jack which is great for most jobs. It lifts about 1m which means you can’t stand under, but I had limited roof height

Positives
Park over it without any issues
No posts to hit doors on
No posts creating obstructions in the garage

Negatives
Access under is more limited than 2 post, but I can still get to everything I need

If space around the car is no issue, and you don’t park between the posts all the time. Then a 2 post is great. But as a lift for what is irregular use, where it’s in a tighter space, then for me the access around the car prompted a scissor lift.
Z4 3.0si - gone
Z4MR - gone
E89 35i - gone

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:06 pm

stevespg wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:02 pm I have a low height scissor jack which is great for most jobs. It lifts about 1m which means you can’t stand under, but I had limited roof height

Positives
Park over it without any issues
No posts to hit doors on
No posts creating obstructions in the garage

Negatives
Access under is more limited than 2 post, but I can still get to everything I need

If space around the car is no issue, and you don’t park between the posts all the time. Then a 2 post is great. But as a lift for what is irregular use, where it’s in a tighter space, then for me the access around the car prompted a scissor lift.
Which make of scissor jack do you have Steve ?
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.