Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Owner Collection Tips

First port of call for new members
MaisieMay

Post by MaisieMay » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:47 am

Hi Out There
I am changing my wife’s i3 for a Petrol Z4 Roadster 2014 and 10k miles from new, so overall seems a nice car.
We are collecting on Friday from BMW main dealer but having never owned a Z4 and had some dreadful hand overs of other cars during all the restrictions, I just wondered if there are any particular points or issues I should check out on collection of the Z4.
It doesn’t have sat/nav but not a problem as my wife rarely goes more than 20 miles from home but it does have auto a/c which she did want.
With only 10k miles the car is almost as new but we are paying top dollar for a 2014 (£22k) so I want it to be right.
Thank you in advance
Michael

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:53 pm

First and foremost check every electric item works, every indicator, light, horn etc, run the roof up and down a few times. Obviously the car has not done a lot of miles so one would hope the engine is just fine, these cars are sensitive to weak batteries so at the age yours may want replacing if it hasn't been done recently. Give it a good run fairly locally before making your way home in case any warning lights flash up.. if you know anyone that has a decent bmw code reader it could be handy to take along and plug in ..other than that hopefully you get a decent warranty with the car should you have any issues in the first few months :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

MaisieMay

Post by MaisieMay » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:59 pm

Thank you for that, the warranty is a bmw approved so should cover most things, but you made some very good point re electrics.
Michael

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi and welcome.
Worth searching on here for 'salmon relays' which are in the roof operating circuit. If they fail then they can cause the pump motor to run until it fails or severely overheats.
Recommendation is to change them every five years. (Based on age, NOT mileage)
They may look ok from the outside, but the internal contacts corrode and break down.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:07 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum
A 2014 will be the e89 hard top convertible, you haven’t said which model though, 18,20,28 4 cylinder turbocharged or 23,30 6 cylinder, or 35i,35is twin turbo
Which ever model you are collecting I’m sure you will love it,
Have a good look at the paintwork before you take it away and check the interior for any marks or damage, any other issues you find later should be covered by the BMW warranty.
And don’t forget to post some photos once you have collected it.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

MaisieMay

Post by MaisieMay » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:08 pm

Thank you
I will search them
Michael

MaisieMay

Post by MaisieMay » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:11 pm

It’s a 2L m sport whatever that is 😂

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:47 am

MaisieMay wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:11 pm It’s a 2L m sport whatever that is 😂
The 2.0 litre engine came in various power outputs 18i / 20i / 28i all the same engine with different maps.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

MaisieMay

Post by MaisieMay » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:35 am

According to the V5 it is a LL32 Variant, 1997cc engine
I will try to find out more on collection
Michael

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:44 am

MaisieMay wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:35 am According to the V5 it is a LL32 Variant, 1997cc engine
I will try to find out more on collection
Michael
I think it'll be a '20' on the side. Although it's a 2 litre engine, this 20 is the model code, not engine size (just happen to be the same in this case)
If you lifted the bonnet on a '18', '20' or a '28' you would see the same engine, but the engine map would give differing amounts of power.

If you search for remapping of the N20 engine on the forum you'll see that all three versions have huge potential for some relatively cheap extra grunt.
(ie. my 20iS has gone from 181bhp to 279bhp, for around £300, and many others have done the same).

The MSport moniker means you have slightly more detailed front and rear bumpers, a bit lower and stiffer suspension and a plethora of '///M' badges on every available surface. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MaisieMay

Post by MaisieMay » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:58 am

Thank you for info, hopefully it will be quick enough for my wife as is🤞🏻

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:52 pm

All good advice above.
I would also check the paintwork on both roof panels, especially in each corner. Make sure there is no bubbling (tends to be right in the corners) of the paint.
Also lift the floor carpet in the boot, check around the battery for any signs of water or watermarks (you may need a torch). Check the foam panel in front of the battery to make sure it isn't wet. Under the foam is the roof motor, this should be clean with no water marks or rust.
Check front and rear light units for any signs of water, although this time of year there shouldn't be any anyway, so check for any discolouration of the reflectors.
If it has 19" wheels, they are probably 326m (double five spoke). I would ask the dealer to confirm in writing that they have never been cracked and repaired (not kerb damage). You can also check this by looking at the MOT history online, if you haven't already.
Check the dates on all tyres too. An 8 year old car with little mileage could easily have 8 year old tyres on which can perish and will unlikely be covered by any warranty (MOT history should pick this up too).
Oh and check outside driver's seat bolster for wear and/ or foam distortion. Even on low mileage cars this can be a problem and hard to get back if damaged.

As you said, you are paying top dollar for the car, I would expect it to be pretty much perfect.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:16 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:52 pm If it has 19" wheels, they are probably 326m (double five spoke). I would ask the dealer to confirm in writing that they have never been cracked and repaired
Les, this should be ok, it’s an AUC car and they routinely change any wheels with issues. My 35iS was traded in with a repaired wheel and replaced before retail. VG point about the tyres :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:42 pm

Shame I can't count though. It's a 7 year old car at most! :oops:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:02 pm

Hi and welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

And enjpy the drive home on Friday. :driving:
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black