Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Black & Orange

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Deebs

Black & Orange

Post by Deebs » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:52 am

Pbondar wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:30 am Nooooooohhhhhhh
Not as the end solution, just to see what it looks like :D

(I sprayed mine black just to refresh them).

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Black & Orange

Post by Nictrix » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:14 am

Maybe its just me but being able to see the support bars behind the grills doesnt add anything to the look of the car.
Car looks great as it is.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Pbondar

Black & Orange

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:49 am

Deebs wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:52 am
Pbondar wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:30 am Nooooooohhhhhhh
Not as the end solution, just to see what it looks like :D

(I sprayed mine black just to refresh them).
Thank god :thumbsup: :rofl:

tiglon

Black & Orange

Post by tiglon » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:53 am

Nictrix wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:14 am Maybe its just me but being able to see the support bars behind the grills doesnt add anything to the look of the car.
Car looks great as it is.
You might be right. I saw it on a M140i and loved it so I want to try it out on this, but I won't know until it's done.

I chose a VO orange car because I want it to feel fun, but I chose an E89 because I like the elegant looks. Overall I'm hoping to make it look a bit more aggressive and contemporary, without losing the elegance of the classic roadster proportions or fun-factor. I'm concerned that all black and orange might be a bit too serious, and the blue bars might lighten the mood slightly - but it might just look tacky, only one way to find out!
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Black & Orange

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:29 am

tiglon wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:53 am black and orange might be a bit too serious, and the blue bars might lighten the mood slightly
Will, I think you might get away with the blue along with the VO/Black, possibly painting the callipers blue too. But, introducing another colour could see it all going wrong with different coloured wheels along with all of the above. All IMO :thumbsup:

When I saw the topic, I was interested to see how it looked. I also wondered how it would look if all the bits you have, and are looking too, coloured black where anthracite/gunmetal to match your wheels? That may give you the option of adding something like the touches of blue without it getting to busy.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

tiglon

Black & Orange

Post by tiglon » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:26 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:29 am
    tiglon wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:53 am black and orange might be a bit too serious, and the blue bars might lighten the mood slightly
    Will, I think you might get away with the blue along with the VO/Black, possibly painting the callipers blue too. But, introducing another colour could see it all going wrong with different coloured wheels along with all of the above. All IMO :thumbsup:

When I saw the topic, I was interested to see how it looked. I also wondered how it would look if all the bits you have, and are looking too, coloured black where anthracite/gunmetal to match your wheels? That may give you the option of adding something like the touches of blue without it getting to busy.
    It might well be a case of less is more. I've thought about the callipers but for me if they are blue as well it really will be adding a third colour into the theme rather than just one contrasting detail.

I nearly bought a can of mineral grey paint to try on the original grills to see how they look, with a view to doing orange & grey, but with the window/windscreen surrounds all being black it would end up being a trio of orange, grey & black. The plan with the wheels is to go as dark grey as possible so as to not stand out too much from the orange & black theme, but to retain visual definition on the wheels.

Although I'm going to play with the bars, the likely outcome is everything being either orange or black, apart from leaving the lights as they are and very dark grey wheels. It might even end up with black wheels.

The wing mirror cover colour is mostly dependant on how easy they are to get off :rofl:
    2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Black & Orange

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:48 pm

As I said my bars are blue but they are hardly noticable against the black but my car is white, maybe different against a VO.

I would try and see what it looks like but the M Sport blue is very dark
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Nanu
    Lifer
    Lifer

Black & Orange

Post by Nanu » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Personally I think black and Orange do look good but either complete the look with a black roof and graphite wheels or leave it in its original. Somewhere in between is not for me.
    G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
    E89 35is Valencia Orange
    E89 28i Crimson
    E89 25i White

Busterboo

Black & Orange

Post by Busterboo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:52 pm

Nanu's right, Tiglon. It's all or nothing. Bits and bobs won't do.
    Vidi, vici, veni

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Black & Orange

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:42 pm

I'm not sure a 3rd colour really works with your theme, and it's hard to work out what 25d colour would look good with orange and black.

My car is Silver Grey and came with black kidneys and red brake calipers and front struts, which I think works pretty well - even if that is 3 colours!
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

tiglon

Black & Orange

Post by tiglon » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:00 pm

Nanu wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:32 pm Personally I think black and Orange do look good but either complete the look with a black roof and graphite wheels or leave it in its original. Somewhere in between is not for me.
    Busterboo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:52 pm Nanu's right, Tiglon. It's all or nothing. Bits and bobs won't do.
    :rofl: have some patience! I'm doing it one piece at a time, I'm in no rush and I like to have a project. I'm going to be doing a lot of it myself which will take time with my one day off per week (I also have a girlfriend and very needy cat who occasionally need attention).

The black roof is 100% not happening - I don't like how it looks on VO. Thank you for the graphite suggestion, I think that may be more what I need than anthracite.
    Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:42 pm I'm not sure a 3rd colour really works with your theme, and it's hard to work out what 25d colour would look good with orange and black.

My car is Silver Grey and came with black kidneys and red brake calipers and front struts, which I think works pretty well - even if that is 3 colours!
    I think that works because black and grey are almost different shades of one colour, rather than being two distinct or contrasting colours. It's like a black and white image with a splash of colour somewhere.
    Ole gits rule wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:48 pm As I said my bars are blue but they are hardly noticable against the black but my car is white, maybe different against a VO.

I would try and see what it looks like but the M Sport blue is very dark
    I suspect that if I go for a dark blue they will be, as you say, barely noticeable and if I go for a bright blue it will stand out too much. It needs to be a subtle detail that you notice after you see everything else, not the main point of focus that your eyes are drawn to straight away.

Nanu
    Lifer
    Lifer

Black & Orange

Post by Nanu » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:39 pm

Needy cat is an accepted excuse for delays :thumbsup:
    G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
    E89 35is Valencia Orange
    E89 28i Crimson
    E89 25i White

tiglon

Black & Orange

Post by tiglon » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:50 am

Finally done the seat hoops in black. Took me a few attempts to get it right, doesn't help that I have no garage or shed yet and I've been banned from painting in the house. :D FYI spray painting in a slight breeze is not efficient.

Wheels next, but I accidentally bought M3 front control arms so it may be a month or two!
    Attachments
    20210902_083926.jpg
    20210902_083926.jpg (185.6 KiB) Viewed 648 times

Pickster

Black & Orange

Post by Pickster » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:01 am

tiglon wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:50 am Finally done the seat hoops in black. Took me a few attempts to get it right, doesn't help that I have no garage or shed yet and I've been banned from painting in the house. :D FYI spray painting in a slight breeze is not efficient.

Wheels next, but I accidentally bought M3 front control arms so it may be a month or two!
    Hoops look good :thumbsup: Are they easy to take off ?

tiglon

Black & Orange

Post by tiglon » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:16 pm

Pickster wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:01 am
    tiglon wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:50 am Finally done the seat hoops in black. Took me a few attempts to get it right, doesn't help that I have no garage or shed yet and I've been banned from painting in the house. :D FYI spray painting in a slight breeze is not efficient.

Hoops look good :thumbsup: Are they easy to take off ?
    Pretty easy, just need to unscrew the wind deflector brackets then I used a plastic trim remover to pry the hoops off. They're held on with ball press clip things, not sure what they're actually called, but gentle, gradual prying all round and no breakages.