Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Problems with "The Zed Shed"

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:00 am

DLV wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:01 am So, I've messaged the op after telling him he would have a delay, but I'm happy to refund him in full. Guess what, he still wants the part, but I'd prefer to refund him in full as have a waiting list for N52 sumps. He can pay bmw £540 and join the waiting list with no estimated delivery date... Same with z4 handbrake mechanisms, I have plenty, but they are £340 from BMW with no estimated delivery date, whereas I can send you one out for £175 or supply and fit one for £225 in about an hour, even though they are unavailable from bmw...

Supply and demand makes the world go round...

So much for me scamming people.

I've worked on and successfully repaired more Z4's than anyone else on this planet. My feedback speaks for itself.

Mike

Why the delay and why the offer of a refund ?

Why not just send him the part that he paid for and save all the trolling.

You have a lot of people that praise your work but also an equal amount that dont. Why create problems and hate by ignoring people it just make things worse.

Just my view Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

Perjorative

Post by Perjorative » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:27 am

DLV wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:01 am So, I've messaged the op after telling him he would have a delay, but I'm happy to refund him in full. Guess what, he still wants the part, but I'd prefer to refund him in full as have a waiting list for N52 sumps. He can pay bmw £540 and join the waiting list with no estimated delivery date...
Right... so you've had the OP's money for a couple of weeks without sending out the part you promised and ignoring his attempts to contact you. Now he has the temerity to ask if anyone else has had problems you are going to tell him to go f*ck himself...

Great business model - I'm amazed that Amazon didn't think of it...

You may be a half-decent mechanic but it seems that your arrogance and unreliability leads to a complete lottery in the type of service people will receive.

utb

Post by utb » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 am

I went into this in good faith. I paid £275 immediately. I was told the part would arrive by the end of the week. On Monday I was told it would be sent that day; it wasn’t. Since then, my calls were not being taken or returned and my messages ignored. So, I turned to this forum for advice, as I had no other way of contacting Mike, had no previous experience dealing with him and don’t know anyone who has used him before. What else was I supposed to do?

I appreciate Mike is busy (this is good to hear), so am I; it’s the way of the world now, we all are. But, we had a deal, I upheld my part of it. If I agree something with someone or say I’ll do something, I do it. I assume (perhaps naively?) that others will do the same. After all, we are talking about business here.

I am now left without a sump and my car off the road and am told by Mike it’s my fault because I posted on here. I honestly don’t know what I could’ve done differently, other than not post on here and, by doing so, not know if I’d ever see the sump or money again. Oh well, you live and learn.

Thanks to all the information from posters on here. It’s been helpful. I hope you all are having a better Friday than me.

ATB, utb

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:10 am

How many usernames does one guy need on a forum?! Only just made a new one last week :lol:
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:37 am

utb wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 am I paid £275
You paid £275 for a (used?) oilpan? :?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:42 am

AndyBeech wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:10 am How many usernames does one guy need on a forum?! Only just made a new one last week :lol:
I believe that one was removed by Spectre…so a new one was needed to reply.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:56 am

And I assume also removed as I can only see quoted posts.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:57 am

GuidoK wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:37 am
utb wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 am I paid £275
You paid £275 for a (used?) oilpan? :?
They are are rare and very expensive from BMW (who don't have any at the moment)

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:00 am

The reason for my initial post asking if there was more than one Zed Shed was that the feedback on the facebook group is overwhelmingly positive so i thought there must be another one that had the history. I was then going to post that its a sad that these days your past history can follow you around and influence peoples decisions even when things are now working much more smoothly. Looks like that might be wrong as well!
It would have been so easy to turn this around but it looks like the opportunity has been missed.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:16 am

I’ve never used the chap although did once ask him for a quote to do some work. However I do know well several people who have used his services.

Seems to me his core problem is a lack of a proper office admin.

Most of his work most of the time seems to meet people’s expectations..where he falls on his face is his admin.

I appreciate as a business owner that admin can be seen as an overhead but as you scale up the sheer logistics of bookings / fielding calls ‘ ordering spares / getting things posted etc etc needs a ‘girl friday’ function..

If you’ve been working all day then have loads of emails / pm / voicemails they tend to fall of the end..

I see many similar examples of ‘one man bands’ who struggle in the same way..

A couple of peoples observations were that if you can physically be there and get the job done in one day then ok..if not..go somewhere else..

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:39 am

Pbondar wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:16 am I’ve never used the chap although did once ask him for a quote to do some work. However I do know well several people who have used his services.

Seems to me his core problem is a lack of a proper office admin.

Most of his work most of the time seems to meet people’s expectations..where he falls on his face is his admin.

I appreciate as a business owner that admin can be seen as an overhead but as you scale up the sheer logistics of bookings / fielding calls ‘ ordering spares / getting things posted etc etc needs a ‘girl friday’ function..

If you’ve been working all day then have loads of emails / pm / voicemails they tend to fall of the end..

I see many similar examples of ‘one man bands’ who struggle in the same way..

A couple of peoples observations were that if you can physically be there and get the job done in one day then ok..if not..go somewhere else..
Agree with this. And I think someone mentioned earlier he doesn’t want to get extra staff as the quality of work may go down….have to say this is a very fair point and I’ve noticed this in a few businesses down the line.

Having said that going on the offensive / being argumentative with customers online never leaves a good impression and I’ve seen that a few times from him, which would be enough for me to avoid using the guy. Which is a shame as he appears he does know his stuff.

Anyway guess it’s been resolved now one way or another.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:06 pm

Rockhopper wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:00 am The reason for my initial post asking if there was more than one Zed Shed was that the feedback on the facebook group is overwhelmingly positive
I seem to recall posts indicating that he was very aggressive towards anyone posting anything negative on *his* facebook group even to the point of telephoning them in full-on 'Mr. Shouty' mode
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

utb

Post by utb » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:08 pm

All’s well that ends well, as they say…

Managed to get a second hand oil sump for £119. Arrived next day delivery, was undamaged and I’m pretty good shape.

So my new (and first) Z4 is now on the road (and I saved £155 to boot!). :D

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:16 pm

Agree with this. And I think someone mentioned earlier he doesn’t want to get extra staff as the quality of work may go down….have to say this is a very fair point and I’ve noticed this in a few businesses down the line.

Having said that going on the offensive / being argumentative with customers online never leaves a good impression and I’ve seen that a few times from him, which would be enough for me to avoid using the guy. Which is a shame as he appears he does know his stuff.

Anyway guess it’s been resolved now one way or another.
[/quote]

Getting extra staff to work on the cars is one thing but getting an office admin person is completely different - even someone working part time around school hours is a massive help.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:59 am

Well, anyone who’s had trouble getting hold of him recently or has unresolved issues will now have an opportunity to see Mike face to face at Zedfest
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)