Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Soggy Donington

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
Ed Doe

Soggy Donington

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:34 am

Finally got a trackday in this year :)

After last years' engine woes, COVID lockdowns etc, and then our firstborn son arriving in January 2021, the Zed has not had much use this year, but some mates & I finally managed to all book onto an evening slot at Donington on Weds 7th July.

Predictably of course the weather looked perfect for most of the day, but come sighting laps for the evening session at 5pm the heavens opened!

Full disclosure, I was being a bit of a fanny - my first wet trackday, and first time at Donny in the Zed, I left the TC well alone (fully on!), and just focused on getting a feel for the car. It was quite surprising how much grip was out there in places, but it was quite changeable all evening with rain stopping for periods then dumping down again.

The car performed faultlessly all evening and held it's own well, keeping with my mates E92 Comp pack (longer wheelbase, wider track and softer suspension so FAR more forgiving in the wet). All in all a great evening had in spite of the weather - almost feel like I learned more about the car than had it been dry. Can't wait to do the next one now!

Anyway - enough waffling, a few pics :)
PR_210707_MSVT_DP_EVE_0632.jpg
PR_210707_MSVT_DP_EVE_0632.jpg (101.24 KiB) Viewed 940 times
PR_210707_MSVT_DP_EVE_0212.jpg
PR_210707_MSVT_DP_EVE_0212.jpg (74.84 KiB) Viewed 940 times
PR_210707_MSVT_DP_EVE_0005.jpg
PR_210707_MSVT_DP_EVE_0005.jpg (106.99 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Soggy Donington

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:39 am

Looks ace- well impressed as I think I’d not even be confident enough to get my Z on a track!!!

Photos look good
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Ed Doe

Soggy Donington

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:07 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:39 am Looks ace- well impressed as I think I’d not even be confident enough to get my Z on a track!!!

Photos look good
Cheers :) Honestly, my advice would be to have a go, but be warned it gets quite addictive (which is where it starts to get really expensive) :lol:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:

AndyBeech

Soggy Donington

Post by AndyBeech » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm

Looking good! Also had first wet day at Bedford a few weeks back, traction control was also left on though I did make the mistake of leaving the Cup 2 tyres on rather than PS4's hoping for dry weather! Certainly a handful that's for sure but good fun and learnt a fair bit like you. Going to do a Skid Pan day down at Thruxton in a few weeks to learn some proper understeer/ oversteer control in relative safety :lol:
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Soggy Donington

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:54 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm Looking good! Also had first wet day at Bedford a few weeks back, traction control was also left on though I did make the mistake of leaving the Cup 2 tyres on rather than PS4's hoping for dry weather! Certainly a handful that's for sure but good fun and learnt a fair bit like you. Going to do a Skid Pan day down at Thruxton in a few weeks to learn some proper understeer/ oversteer control in relative safety :lol:
I think I like the idea of Bedford- I’ve driven it before with the track cars (excellent day) and I prefer the lack of Armco to wrap my car around

:D
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Soggy Donington

Post by inkey$ » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:09 pm

Excellent work!
How did the brakes hold up? Prob okay due to the wet?
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

AndyBeech

Soggy Donington

Post by AndyBeech » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:40 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:54 pm
AndyBeech wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm Looking good! Also had first wet day at Bedford a few weeks back, traction control was also left on though I did make the mistake of leaving the Cup 2 tyres on rather than PS4's hoping for dry weather! Certainly a handful that's for sure but good fun and learnt a fair bit like you. Going to do a Skid Pan day down at Thruxton in a few weeks to learn some proper understeer/ oversteer control in relative safety :lol:
I think I like the idea of Bedford- I’ve driven it before with the track cars (excellent day) and I prefer the lack of Armco to wrap my car around

:D
Absolutely, it's as safe as they get for tracks but nice and long with a good spread of high / slow speed corners and a nice long straight to stretch the legs. Ideal for learning about the car and limits before going in on tighter more traditional tracks. Only complaint is the paddock area is quite small and usually very busy!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

Ed Doe

Soggy Donington

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:42 pm

inkey$ wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:09 pm Excellent work!
How did the brakes hold up? Prob okay due to the wet?
Cheers :)

Oh the brakes are absolutely fine - AP Racing 6-pots on the front with 356mm semi-floating discs & DS2500 pads, and AP Racing 4-pot Rears with OE discs & Pagid RS42s. I wasn't troubling the limits of the brakes this time out :lol:

Not wildly impressed with the DS2500s on track to be honest (although that shouldn't be surprising as they aren't really a track pad) - I was starting to get a long pedal out at Goodwood last year. They were fine this time out but I'd say that's more as it was wet so speeds were generally lower!

AndyBeech

Soggy Donington

Post by AndyBeech » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:11 pm

How you finding that 4.1 drive by the way Ed? Just seen you’ve got that in from your sig. Tempted myself but not sure could live with it on the roads, thinking 3.91 might be a good compromise…

mgrlane

Soggy Donington

Post by mgrlane » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:14 pm

Looks amazing on track.

We were at Donnington in the Clio 3 weeks ago. Had a good mixture of sun and rain.

Not a big fan of how you get on track there- right on the racing line after a long straight!

Ed Doe

Soggy Donington

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:00 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:11 pm How you finding that 4.1 drive by the way Ed? Just seen you’ve got that in from your sig. Tempted myself but not sure could live with it on the roads, thinking 3.91 might be a good compromise…
I'm loving it, but then I can't really comment much on daily use as mine is really only for fun and trackdays! I've driven it a fair bit of mileage mind (the drive to and from Donington alone was a 300+miles round trip of mainly motorway miles round the M25 and down the M1!) and have to say it's not terribly intrusive to live with. You'll tend to shift more quickly when pottering about (obviously) because the lower gears do feel shorter, and 70mph in 6th is about 3100rpm, so it certainly makes a difference to cruising, but honestly, imo you get used to it so quickly it's not even a thing. Personally fwiw I'd go full hog 4.1, not 3.91 - any shortening of the drive is going to be noticeable, might as well get the 4.1 for the added performance!
mgrlane wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:14 pm Looks amazing on track.

We were at Donnington in the Clio 3 weeks ago. Had a good mixture of sun and rain.

Not a big fan of how you get on track there- right on the racing line after a long straight!
Cheers 8)

Yeah I agree - it's quite difficult to see what's tanning it down the straight when you're trying to join and as you say you're beholden to people leaving you room to join the track bang on the racing line! Cracking circuit though isn't it - craners in the dry is such a rollercoaster!

mgrlane

Soggy Donington

Post by mgrlane » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:40 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:00 pm Yeah I agree - it's quite difficult to see what's tanning it down the straight when you're trying to join and as you say you're beholden to people leaving you room to join the track bang on the racing line! Cracking circuit though isn't it - craners in the dry is such a rollercoaster!
Real good fun. Craners was a delight, the boys that I went with could nail the mid section without lifting off. Myself, I had no where near the talent and would lift for the second part.

I was going to take the C63 on the track but it tipped down at the end of the day and I just bottled it. I was thinking that the 86si would have been a good car for circuit but an 86M would have been perfect. The clio just felt a bit slow as it was a quick course.
Attachments
clio.jpeg
clio.jpeg (131.38 KiB) Viewed 855 times

Ed Doe

Soggy Donington

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:58 pm

mgrlane wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:40 pm
Ed Doe wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:00 pm Yeah I agree - it's quite difficult to see what's tanning it down the straight when you're trying to join and as you say you're beholden to people leaving you room to join the track bang on the racing line! Cracking circuit though isn't it - craners in the dry is such a rollercoaster!
Real good fun. Craners was a delight, the boys that I went with could nail the mid section without lifting off. Myself, I had no where near the talent and would lift for the second part.

I was going to take the C63 on the track but it tipped down at the end of the day and I just bottled it. I was thinking that the 86si would have been a good car for circuit but an 86M would have been perfect. The clio just felt a bit slow as it was a quick course.
I had donny booked last year for the M but the top end leg go at Goodwood the month before - I popped along with some mates who let me drive their v8 m3 and M4 - in the dry - both were absolutely sublime - the m4 was something else, but yeh I didn't have the stones to keep my toe in all the way through craners either! Probably as much because they weren't my cars and I already had a big bill pending with my own but still :lol:

There was an e86 3.0si there during the day on weds, saw him putting in a few laps when I was waiting for the evening session (and before Donington turned into a river!) - he looked like he was having fun! Is donny local to you? If so I'll give you a shout next time I'm booked up there - welcome to pop by for a few passenger runs :)

There were a few clios there and a Meglio too, they always seem to go very well on most tracks! Coming from a Peugeot 306gti6 back in the day, I've always had a real soft spot for a hot hatch of that era - still fancy a cliosport trophy but they're so expensive now!

TheDan

Soggy Donington

Post by TheDan » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:11 pm

Looks like you had a great time despite the weather!!
Ed Doe wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:00 pm Cracking circuit though isn't it - craners in the dry is such a rollercoaster!
I have got out of shape at craners in the Z4 a few times. I found that if I carried too much speed over the crest with a little bit of turn in and small amount of lift off, the rear end kept trying to lead! Definite squeaky bum moment!
batch_PR_210607_MSVT_DP_EVE_1030_edit.jpg
batch_PR_210607_MSVT_DP_EVE_1030_edit.jpg (106.03 KiB) Viewed 838 times
Maybe see you around Donny in the future?

Ed Doe

Soggy Donington

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:25 pm

TheDan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:11 pm Looks like you had a great time despite the weather!!
Ed Doe wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:00 pm Cracking circuit though isn't it - craners in the dry is such a rollercoaster!
I have got out of shape at craners in the Z4 a few times. I found that if I carried too much speed over the crest with a little bit of turn in and small amount of lift off, the rear end kept trying to lead! Definite squeaky bum moment!

batch_PR_210607_MSVT_DP_EVE_1030_edit.jpg

Maybe see you around Donny in the future?
Yep I had a similar squeeky bum moment too - the bump on the right hand side which is in effect the turn in point for the left at the bottom - if I didn't go into it with a bit of power on it wanted to get all crossed up on me, did it a couple of times until I just put a bit more throttle in :lol:

I'll make sure to let you know next time I'm up there - it's a bit of a trek for me but I've got a few mates up that way so we're taking it in turns as to who goes to the local and who travels! Looking at Bedford in August right now, and if weather holds for September maybe another Donny one!