Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Future owner of stock car - year of ownership.

Discussing the current generation Z4
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Future owner of stock car.

Post by Pondrew » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:41 am

Roadster_Surrey wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:08 pm Can any of these thing be codded out
If yes, you should find a safe plaice to do it. I've also heard the DAB tuna is good! :D :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:06 am

Ian J wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:29 am
Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:05 pm
In answer to a couple of queries, it is possible to have the total mileage visible, use the toggle button on the left hand stalk until the display is as the picture below.
That picture is obviously not from your car as the temperature never gets as high as 12 in Scotland surely :D
Ian, I’m more disappointed that your shock wasn’t either that it was at 10:16 PM it was that temperature or that the car’s on nearly 3k and it’s only used occasionally at weekends :rofl:

That was taken when I pulled into the drive after the forum NC500 run. I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised with how good the weather was for both being up here and the time of year. Hopefully it’ll hold out for the forum Dumfries and Galloway run in 10 days and that’ll be at least another 1k miles on it :oops:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:06 am
    Ian, I’m more disappointed that your shock wasn’t either that it was at 10:16 PM it was that temperature or that the car’s on nearly 3k and it’s only used occasionally at weekends :rofl:
    I didn't notice the time but I did spot the mileage. I got mine at about the same time as you but have only just crept over the 1,000 mark despite it being my daily driver. I have done one 300 mile motorway run down to darkest Surrey to see my mother but apart from that I haven't been anywhere.

What I am pleased about is the mpg which is averaging 35 around town and 45 on a run which is better than anything I got out of my previous cars which were all 3.0 diesels. I do only have the poor relation though

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:21 am

You should drive more guys :-) I'm already at 518 miles and will do couple of thousands in October. But probably won't beat doing 5K miles in first month in SLK ;-)

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:25 am

Ian J wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 am
    Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:06 am
    I didn't notice the time but I did spot the mileage. I got mine at about the same time as you but have only just crept over the 1,000 mark despite it being my daily driver. I have done one 300 mile motorway run down to darkest Surrey to see my mother but apart from that I haven't been anywhere.

What I am pleased about is the mpg which is averaging 35 around town and 45 on a run which is better than anything I got out of my previous cars which were all 3.0 diesels. I do only have the poor relation though
    Yes we got them around the same time. I’ve done probably 50-75 miles total motorway driving in that. The car can sit for 2 weeks without being driven. It’s not been driven since arriving home last weekend.

I’m pleased with the mpg too, I think it’s about 29 ish and that includes 2 forum runs where it was driven both spiritedly and on lots of stop/start single track roads.

That’s a good return you’re getting. Surprised it’s better than your diesels. Not a poor relation just slightly less cylinders :wink:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:28 am

Roadster_Surrey wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:21 am You should drive more guys
      3k’s not bad for something only used every 2nd weekend really :lol: I work from home and have a daily so unless it’s out for fun it isn’t out :driving:

gusTaco

Post by gusTaco » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:32 am

Pondrew wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:41 am
        Roadster_Surrey wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:08 pm Can any of these thing be codded out
        If yes, you should find a safe plaice to do it. I've also heard the DAB tuna is good! :D :D
        Sounds a bit fishy

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:23 pm

5 weeks of onwership and 4000 miles on the clock. Around 600 done in UK, rest in Europe.

What I liked:
        -Suspension not too soft, but not too hard.
        -Comfortable seats. I did 1000 miles on the outbound journey and was fine after arrival.
        -Boot big enough to pack a lot of stuff.
        -Fuel efficiency surprisingly good and I was able to get up to 800km / 500 miles out of tank. I went a bit overboard with it, going down to 2l in tank once. No petrol station for miles on motorway. In the end, I was driving 90km/h /55mph, hiding behind the lorry.

What I didn't like:
        -Very poor handling on roads with ruts from lorries. And if you add rain to ruts, it was absolutely awful. I never had a car that handled that bad on roads like these.
        -Ignition on state when the car is unlocked. I think car switches off after 30-40 minutes. So, I had to keep it locked most of the time when staying in country house, to cut off electricity in the car and all devies. Normaly, I would just leave it unlocked during the day.

Autumnal pictures from Masurian Lake District, Poland. Road leads to village by the lake, so minimal traffic.
        IMG_20211011_094157.jpg
        IMG_20211011_094157.jpg (285.28 KiB) Viewed 881 times
        IMG_20211011_095159.jpg
        IMG_20211011_095159.jpg (297.39 KiB) Viewed 881 times
        Trip summary. Almost 3 full days behind the wheel. A lot of motorway driving and some city traffic (31mpg)
        20211102_084027.jpg
        20211102_084027.jpg (80.49 KiB) Viewed 881 times
        Last edited by Roadster_Surrey on Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ori

Post by ori » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:03 pm

Interesting.
        Impressive MPG!!!!

Can’t agree about handling as I found the m40i a lot more sure footed than my previous 35is.

As for the car staying on? Strange one. Why would you leave the car unlocked? What if a zombie crawled in while you were asleep?
        Just lock the car!

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:17 pm

I haven't encountered such bad roads with ruts in UK, so other owners may not have similar experience.

Actually, 12V socket stays on even after locking the car. Not sure for how long, but I could see dash cam still recording 10 minutes after locking the car.

There's no need to lock the car during they day, when it's on private property in the middle of nowhere and I take stuff from the boot and put back, etc.

Mr Tidy
        Legend
        Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:05 pm

That sounds like a pretty epic trip, and surprisingly good economy too. :thumbsup:

The sensation you describe with lorry ruts sounds like the classic "tramlining" that my first E86 used to suffer with badly. Most people on here recommend getting rid of the run-flat tyres, but I'm not sure if G29s have them. :?
        Coupes because stunning!
        Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
        Gone - Montego Blue
        Gone - Ruby Black

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:19 pm

Yes, tramlining is exactly what I experienced. Car has winter tyres, but not run flats. I haven't driven on this particular road before, in any of my cars, so can't compare their behaviour. But none of them had issues on similar roads.

I thought it must be unfavorable combination of size of the tyres and width of car.

Scubaregs
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:25 pm

Roadster_Surrey wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:19 pm Yes, tramlining is exactly what I experienced. Car has winter tyres, but not run flats. I haven't driven on this particular road before, in any of my cars, so can't compare their behaviour. But none of them had issues on similar roads.

I thought it must be unfavorable combination of size of the tyres and width of car.
        What wheel and tyres are you running for winters?
        Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
        Image Image

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:57 am

Roadster_Surrey wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:19 pm
        I used to have an X6 which was shocking for tramlining but my Z4 is much better

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:55 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:25 pm What wheel and tyres are you running for winters?
        Continental WinterContact TS 860 S 255/35 R19 at the front - asymmetrical tread pattern
        Vredestein Wintrac Pro (Winter Tyre) - 275/35 R19 at the rear - directional tread pattern

I guess, tread pattern might the issue. I did a little research before putting the tyres on but didn't find any info about tread pattern and what to avoid. I couldn't find set of 4 nearly new tyres from the same brand, due to different sizes. I'm not sure which tread pattern is better to eliminate the issue, opinions seem to differ. I could get rid of one pair of tyres and replace them with matching type.

On UK roads, car behaved ok, but we have low speed limits, so certain things only come up when driving faster. I don't know if car suffers from the same issue on OEM summer tyres, because I only did 500 miles on them. Will learn next year, when I take it to Europe.

I wasn't familiar with term "tramlining", as it never happened to me before. After reading more about it, I can see it's quite common issue.