Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Goodyear Vector 4Seasons tyre report..Updated

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:10 pm

I just though I'd do a review on the "Ultra-high performance from Goodyear VECTOR 4SEASONS GEN 3"

There was a major technical error that was spotted by a poster (thank you and shows including pictures is a good idea) of incorrect tyre fitment..both rear tyres were fitted with their directional arrows going the wrong way :thumbsdown:

So as was said maybe surprising that the car didn’t spit me off somewhere..shows how important correct tyre orientation is and how well DCS works to keep you on the road despite yourself..I’ve left the original post for completeness…

Here’s the updated summary..

Having had the rear wheels swapped over so they are now directionally correct I took the car out for a noon on some our splendid local roads.

So the handling is much improved…the front end tuck in and rear end slushiness have much reduced.

The traction light does still continues to light up when provoked at higher speeds and accelerating hard but nowhere as much as it did.

Overall I’m still slightly disappointed that my expectations have not been met.

As a winter use especially for a daily I think it’s a great tyre..the grip in damp and cold conditions were good and it’s snow performance all you could ask for, for a sports car..

As an all season tyre for a daily again I think it’s pretty good.

As an all season tyre for a 450nm E89 for hooning around it quickly shows it’s limitations on a dry warm day.

So not as bad as I labelled it..mostly due to incorrect rear wheel fitment…but the search for an all season tyre that copes with 450nm of enthusiastic driving on a warm dry day continues..

Basically its a NO from me for the E89s.

Like many all season and winter tyres actually getting an OE fitment especially on asymmetric wheels is problematical.

I selected 235/45 17 and 245/45 17 to sit on 8J/8.5J rims..there were no 40 profiles in 17"

I selected those sizes to keep within 1% rolling radius as I already knew the the DCS system on the E89 can get confused if there is too big a discrepancy between front and rears.

At the time of fittting in November 2020 we went back into lockdown and hence they had little use in the winter. What use showed great ability to cope with wet/damp/frosty/cold conditions and even in 3" of snow they were not bad (Quaife LSD may have helped too).

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and a slash cut had taken out one of my rear GY Assy 5 rears..broken promises on speedy delivery left me having to put the all seasons back on so I could attend the schedule meeting with the engine tuners to debug a seperate bad misfire in Sunderland.

My 150 round trip is mostly high speed open roads with a few tight hairpins.

So problem one was, once warmed up, the DCS light would start flashing when overtaking and at most speeds north of 'brisk'.

I got round it protem by switching to Sports+ mode which stopped the traction control flight flashing..great in dry sunny conditions but not what you normally want in slipping /poor conditions...

As a by the DCS would cut the power so made overtaking highly amusing..

The other issue is that the tyre can't really cope with the cornering forces on the E89 when used in the appropriate manner.

On entry to sharp bends under braking the front tyres felt that they wanted to fold under..on exit on bumps despite well damped shocks a bit of pogo-ing was apparent.

So as a daily tyre for battling the worst of winter probably great..but not for an E89 using them in dry conditions and pressing on.

In contrast the correct size Conto TS830 pure winter tyres were much much better..but a very bad wear rate when pressed into service on lus 20c days..
Attachments
2021-07-03 09.50.12 - Copy.jpg
2021-07-03 09.50.12 - Copy.jpg (236.52 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
2021-07-03 09.50.00 - Copy.jpg
2021-07-03 09.50.00 - Copy.jpg (159.98 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
Last edited by Pbondar on Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Goodyear Vector 4Seasons tyre report..that's a negative for E89s

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:34 pm

Maybe worth trying Michelin Cross climate + next time, pretty good on my 265bhp rwd daily, do get the odd dsc light on fast getaways in 1st and 2nd but rest of the time when pressing on they are very assured
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:54 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:34 pm Maybe worth trying Michelin Cross climate + next time, pretty good on my 265bhp rwd daily, do get the odd dsc light on fast getaways in 1st and 2nd but rest of the time when pressing on they are very assured
Swore I'd never by Michelins as a matter of principle but going with these babies

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/ ... l-season-4

In stock 225/45 R17 and 255/40R17 sizes :thumbsup:

Seem to be the new top dog of all season tyres..

Here's hoping..

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:11 pm

The Goodyear Vectors are not what I'd call a High Performance tyre, never mind an Ultra High Performance tyre - and I don't recall any official branding/marketing suggesting this.

I'd not put those or Cross-Climates+ on the Z4MC as they slide enough when pushing on in an Alfa 147...although to be fair I didn't have a problem with them on 3 National Meets where we had a combination of dry/wet weather (in the 147 and 330D).

But as a set of 'autumn to spring and a bit of mountain' tyres they're fine - and usually I'd use a bit of common sense and realise they're not a SuperSport R and drive accordingly (so 9/10ths instead of 10/10ths).

I also didn't think any of the Michelin A/S range of tyres were available in the UK, as I've seen them in the past and thought they'd be perfect for the Z4MCs late autumn jaunts to the Ring?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:59 pm

mmm-five wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:11 pm The Goodyear Vectors are not what I'd call a High Performance tyre, never mind an Ultra High Performance tyre - and I don't recall any official branding/marketing suggesting this.

I'd not put those or Cross-Climates+ on the Z4MC as they slide enough when pushing on in an Alfa 147...although to be fair I didn't have a problem with them on 3 National Meets where we had a combination of dry/wet weather (in the 147 and 330D).

But as a set of 'autumn to spring and a bit of mountain' tyres they're fine - and usually I'd use a bit of common sense and realise they're not a SuperSport R and drive accordingly (so 9/10ths instead of 10/10ths).

I also didn't think any of the Michelin A/S range of tyres were available in the UK, as I've seen them in the past and thought they'd be perfect for the Z4MCs late autumn jaunts to the Ring?
Hi there..

"Ultra-high performance from Goodyear VECTOR 4SEASONS GEN 3"

"The Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen3 is an all season tyre designed for high performance vehicles such as executive, sports and super cars. Replacing the Vector 4Seasons Gen2, the Gen 3 comes with new and exclusive features. "

Is how its described on National Tyres web site, I assume the copy came from Goodyear. Similar phrases are echoed on other web sites.

To be fair I assumed that whilst not UHP that they would given the reviews be upto a relatively modestly powered relatively light car. :tumbleweed:

And although I was driving briskly I would describe it as 7/10-8/10 at worst/best..

As I said the Contis TS830 I had on previously handled much much better.. :thumbsup:

I did see several reviews where in anything but dry conditions it could keep up well with most of the then summer tyres.

I will move the front pair to Mo's Mini when the current winters wear out (along with two more in the same size)..hopefully her driving style will not cause the DCS system to activate :rofl:

I see that some of the Michelin All Seasons in larger sizes 20"? are available now in the UK..

I sourced mine from overseas...I'll let people know how they fair in due course.

Short of another puncture hopefully my GY Asy 5s will last through the summer..that is assuming they ever get delivered.

As an aside I don't now recommend https://www.mobilemech-shop.co.uk/ who said 3 to 4 working days and its currently predicted by them to be 12-15 working days :thumbsdown:

Citizen-Erased

Post by Citizen-Erased » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:45 pm

It would probably help if they were fitted correctly. Your rears are not facing the correct way for rotation.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:58 pm

Citizen-Erased wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:45 pm It would probably help if they were fitted correctly. Your rears are not facing the correct way for rotation.
Hello well spotted thank you..my tyre chap was most apologetic..now swapped round and will report back.

In his defence it was a rainy day and he was working at short notice outside..not that obvious the rotation arrow..but a lesson re-learnt!
Attachments
2021-07-09 14.05.36.jpg
2021-07-09 14.05.36.jpg (190.87 KiB) Viewed 1736 times

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:16 pm

Citizen-Erased wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:45 pm It would probably help if they were fitted correctly. Your rears are not facing the correct way for rotation.
Damn, well spotted :thumbsup: I also think not having the correct sizes doesn’t help, it’s funny, this is not a criticism rather, how you can get fixated on a specific brand of tyre so you’d change the wheel size to get the tyre they want, rather than keep the size they should be and have a different tyre. I think we all suffer from this human phenomenon one way or another :D

When thy state that they’re a ultra high performance tyre for all seasons, I think you should take that with a large pinch of marketing salt, yes they may well be a very good tyre for all seasons, but they are nowhere near as good as a UHP summer tyre in the wet or dry in normal summer conditions, though they make an excellent winter tyre for our British winters
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:56 pm

Sars..I painted myself in a corner by insisting on using my beloved Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s in asymmetric sizes :headbang:

If I went square with 225/45R17s it would have been a lot lot easier.. :thumbsup:

Given that a set of alloys costs about the same as set of premium tyres it is a case of tail wagging the dog.. :thumbsdown:

I wasn't really fixated about GY it was just trying to get some all seasons that would work with 17" asy wheels.. :tumbleweed:

Nice to be labelled a human phenomena ! :rofl:

Citizen-Erased

Post by Citizen-Erased » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:31 am

Who doesn't love Pro race 1.2s?

With directional V shaped tyres you would have traction and stability control going crazy. The tyre will fight against itself, quite literally, under braking and heavy acceleration.

It's always worth checking fitment when having new rubber put on. I've just had my E85 done at National and they managed to do the same thing. :headbang:

I run these tyres on our family Golf. Granted its not rwd or particularly high powered but in the summer heat of the last few weeks I've found them to be as good as most cheaper branded summer products and exceptional in the wet. I suspect you'll be fine, if not a little disappointed with the lack of total grip when they warm up.

Did you run these in the snow? I'm debating them on my E85 over true winter rubber.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:44 pm

Citizen-Erased wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:31 am Who doesn't love Pro race 1.2s?

With directional V shaped tyres you would have traction and stability control going crazy. The tyre will fight against itself, quite literally, under braking and heavy acceleration.

It's always worth checking fitment when having new rubber put on. I've just had my E85 done at National and they managed to do the same thing. :headbang:

I run these tyres on our family Golf. Granted its not rwd or particularly high powered but in the summer heat of the last few weeks I've found them to be as good as most cheaper branded summer products and exceptional in the wet. I suspect you'll be fine, if not a little disappointed with the lack of total grip when they warm up.

Did you run these in the snow? I'm debating them on my E85 over true winter rubber.
I've only run to the Fish n Chip shop last night (Friday night treat//living the dream) on the correctly orienatated tyres..with the amount of limited provocation they seemed to be running OK..I'll go out for a proper run on them some time this weekend! :thumbsup:

I did take them out in about 4" of snow and they did do very well..

Not suprisingly I don't regularly go out in the snow in the Zrd with a Volvo XC70 on winter tyres but it did better than all the other cars in the hamlet on summer tyres...so for getting caught out / the more ususal cold /damp /icy days they seemed fine.

Ride even on the E89 was fairly hard with stippled roads coming through.

Now I have them the right way around I'll see how it handles when 'brisk' driivng and report back..

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:47 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:44 pm
Citizen-Erased wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:31 am Who doesn't love Pro race 1.2s?

I've only run to the Fish n Chip shop last night (Friday night treat//living the dream) on the correctly orientated tyres..with the amount of limited provocation they seemed to be running OK..I'll go out for a proper run on them some time this weekend! :thumbsup:

I did take them out in about 4" of snow and they did do very well..

Not suprisingly I don't regularly go out in the snow in the Zrd with a Volvo XC70 on winter tyres but it did better than all the other cars in the hamlet on summer tyres...so for getting caught out / the more ususal cold /damp /icy days they seemed fine.

Ride even on the E89 was fairly hard with stippled roads coming through.

Now I have them the right way around I'll see how it handles when 'brisk' driivng and report back..

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Just to close this out from my perspective…

Having had the rear wheels swapped over so they are now directionally correct I took the car out for a hoon on some of our splendid local roads.

So the handling is much improved…the front end tuck in and rear end slushiness have much reduced.

The traction light does still continues to light up when provoked at higher speeds and accelerating hard but nowhere as much as it did.

Overall I’m still slightly disappointed that my expectations have not been met.

As a winter use especially for a daily I think it’s a great tyre..the grip in damp and cold conditions were good and it’s snow performance all you could ask for, for a sports car..

As an all season tyre for a daily again I think it’s pretty good.

As an all season tyre for a 450nm E89 for hooning around it quickly shows it’s limitations on a dry warm day.

So not as bad as I labelled it..mostly due to incorrect rear wheel fitment…but the search for an all season tyre that copes with 450nm of enthusiastic driving on a warm dry day continues..
Last edited by Pbondar on Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:40 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:24 pm So not as bad as I labelled it..mostly due to incorrect rear wheel fitment…but the search for an all season tyre that copes with 450nm of enthusiastic driving on a warm dry day continues..
An all season tyre is always, by its very definition, going to be a compromise. I don't think you will find any that will meet your expectations.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:45 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:40 pm
Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:24 pm So not as bad as I labelled it..mostly due to incorrect rear wheel fitment…but the search for an all season tyre that copes with 450nm of enthusiastic driving on a warm dry day continues..
An all season tyre is always, by its very definition, going to be a compromise. I don't think you will find any that will meet your expectations.
You are probably correct but we will see how the Michelin Pilot Sports All Seasons do next... :thumbsup: