Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best solution for MP3 Players

Slotraccoon

Best solution for MP3 Players

Post by Slotraccoon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:39 pm

I have read several topics regarding the fitting of solutions for connecting MP3 players but none seem to quite answer my questions.

Firstly, I have a standard BMW Business CD without a CD Changer and without SatNav but with Bluetooth. I would like to control an MP3 player via the head unit and steering wheel controls and ideally I just need to find an album title and then play!

What is the best solution - Dension, DICE or something else?
Has anyone got a solution working with a Zune?
Do I need a dealer to program anything?

Does anyone know howthe Dension 300 supports a USB device? Can I just plug in some huge USB storage device and scroll through the folders on the head unit?

So many questions!
BMW Z4 M Coupe, October 2006. Monaco blue with black nappa leather trim

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Best solution for MP3 Players

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 am

I've recently installed the Dension Gateway 300 and very pleased so far - it's with the Business CD too (no DSP). The post below has more details...
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14004

Don't be too put off with my DICE experience others on here seem to be using them fine. The other unit worth checking is Intravee... which was new to me. Worth doing a search of the 'How to' and 'General' forums.

Reference the USB control... I think you can scroll through folders, certainly by playlists, albums and artists. I just keep my iPod plugged in - the USB doesn't support all of the file types, so that's worth checking. If you're coming from a Zune you should be fine. If it wasn't for file support I would have probably just used USB - I limit myself to about 90 albums for ease of scrolling (less than 8GB). When you plug any media device in the GW300 scans through and builds a database and sorts everything accordingly, so it may ignore folders.

I don't have playlists as this add a load of extra albums and artists to work through.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Slotraccoon

Post by Slotraccoon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:42 pm

That's funny. Having received no advice for or against any particular system I also went out and fitted the Dension Gateway 300. Fitting was a doddle although the set up instructions were wrong when it came to directing the text to the single line display of the standard headset - I have no SatNav (yet). A quick call to Dension themselves and the problem was solved.

I just connected a huge memory stick to the USB port and it works very well.
BMW Z4 M Coupe, October 2006. Monaco blue with black nappa leather trim

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14 pm

Didn't even notice your pot date! Oh well.. at least you're up and running now! Love the system myself. Dension were really helpful for me too.

Sweet, sweet car!
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.