Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lane Departure Warning

Ian J

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Ian J » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:39 am

Lane Departure Warning is part of the "Driving Assistant" package which I have on my new Z4 which I don't like.

I had Lane Departure Warning on my 630 GT and it worked by sending vibrations through the steering wheel to warn you if you were changing lane. You could change the vibration level from low to high and it was fairly unobtrusive.

On my Z4 the warning seems to be much more violent and according to the spec "The vehicle is actively guided back into the lane and properly aligned"

Several times I have nearly been caught out when changing lane to overtake with the steering wheel trying it's hardest to pull me back into the slow lane so I have now switched this facility off as I think it's dangerous.

Is this how the car is supposed to react or is mine faulty?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:44 am

Yup, sounds exactly like my new 1-series.
I too decided to ignore the nanny state and operate the 'Master O-F-F switch' :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Lane Departure Warning

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:51 am

I have switched it off on all my cars, I don't understand how it can ever work without being a real pain.

With the narrow roads in the UK, you often go over the centre of the road to avoid the pot craters on the side and you are forever battling the steering.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Ian J

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Ian J » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:26 am

Many thanks both. I'm glad that it's not me.

As an oldie I'm having difficulty with iDrive 7 as it seems much more complicated than iDrive 6 that I had in my 630 GT and my next problem will be trying to master the climate control.

On the 630 GT it was switch on A/C and set temperature and that was it but on the Z4 it seems unduly complicated

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:13 am

pvr wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:51 am I have switched it off on all my cars, I don't understand how it can ever work without being a real pain.

With the narrow roads in the UK, you often go over the centre of the road to avoid the pot craters on the side and you are forever battling the steering.
Plus if you de rely on it the white lines have worn away and it doesnt work!

Switched off here too
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Pbondar

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:35 pm

Neighbour has (had) a Porkster Macan with something similar..wrote it off 4 weeks ago..returned him into a line of parked cars..

Not sure what happened..has left the old boy shaken..police investigating his competence to drive sadly..

In aviation we were taught to be very very wary of auto pilots..nearly got killed a few times with pups trying to make them do things that were not aerodynamically advised..

Zed Baron

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:46 pm

How much is the drivers assist package?

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:49 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:46 pm How much is the drivers assist package?
£900 iirc

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Zed Baron

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:49 pm
    Zed Baron wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:46 pm How much is the drivers assist package?
    £900 iirc
    Have you ordered it on your new buggie Andy?

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:30 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:54 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:49 pm
    £900 iirc
    Have you ordered it on your new buggie Andy?
    Yes I have, options chosen below, all plus the dreaded VAT :thumbsdown:

Only other option available is the anthracite roof and it didn’t look great on the configurator with the black wheels etc on the Shadowline pack but did look ok with some colours and the silver/grey wheels
    Attachments
    EA3A9216-E128-474B-83F1-755E5095884F.jpeg
    EA3A9216-E128-474B-83F1-755E5095884F.jpeg (67.39 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:35 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:35 pm Neighbour has (had) a Porkster Macan with something similar..wrote it off 4 weeks ago..returned him into a line of parked cars..

Not sure what happened..has left the old boy shaken..police investigating his competence to drive sadly..

In aviation we were taught to be very very wary of auto pilots..nearly got killed a few times with pups trying to make them do things that were not aerodynamically advised..
      I have had this on several cars and my biggest gripe is on a motorway where they narrow a lane and just burn over the existing line, the car will see both sets and try to direct you left into the bollards.

It states if you indicate then the LDW does not activate but not going to indicate as I am staying in the same lane - even worse on a Peugeot the control is buried deep inside a menu when it should be a button to switch if off quickly :headbang:
      M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
      2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

ori

Lane Departure Warning

Post by ori » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:58 pm

It’s not even part of the drivers assistance pack. The drivers assistance adds another layer and adaptive cruise control and blind stop stuff.

I had it set on a custom setting. Everything off except emergency braking which was set to late so as not to annoy me.
      The lane departure you can have on vibrate only without steering intervention. It can be all setup using the button on the dash.

dr_john
      Lifer
      Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by dr_john » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:31 pm

I had mine back into BMW 2 years ago shortly after taking delivery. The LDW was erratic, I went on a drive with a BMW tech and he confirmed things were not right but suggested that the next software update would fix it.

It didn’t, each update reset the LDW back to max vibration. I now just try and remember to turn the whole thing off each time I start the car.

It’s a menace, I hate the bloody thing. I love everything else about my G29 apart from this :(
      Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

ori

Lane Departure Warning

Post by ori » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:46 am

dr_john wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:31 pm I had mine back into BMW 2 years ago shortly after taking delivery. The LDW was erratic, I went on a drive with a BMW tech and he confirmed things were not right but suggested that the next software update would fix it.

It didn’t, each update reset the LDW back to max vibration. I now just try and remember to turn the whole thing off each time I start the car.

It’s a menace, I hate the bloody thing. I love everything else about my G29 apart from this :(
      You can have it all off by default. Why have it on if you don’t like it?

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:58 am

dr_john wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:31 pm I had mine back into BMW 2 years ago shortly after taking delivery. The LDW was erratic, I went on a drive with a BMW tech and he confirmed things were not right but suggested that the next software update would fix it.

Due solely to this thread it was a question I had for the “tech genius” I had allocated to me at handover. I told him I wanted it switched off permanently and he did it. A button on the central console and a couple of settings in the iDrive and it’s been off ever since. I don’t need to do anything each time I get in the car :thumbsup: