Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Knocking and Creaking from the rear

LeePreston

Post by LeePreston » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:23 pm

Not sure if anyone can help me.

I have a 2009 Sdrive 35i. It has developed a knocking and creaking noise from the rear. Mostly heard inside the car, and definitely at low speeds.

I’ve so far changed the springs and also the shocks (twice). We found a damaged vibration absorbers so that was also replaced.

Took it for an MOT last year hoping they’d identify it…. No luck and it passed.

I’ve got some video clips but can’t see how to upload them on here. Probably makes this post a little pointless, but it seems to be getting worse and I’m running out of ideas

Any help gratefully received.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:40 pm

Have you checked the rear bushes in the suspension?

Some people have had issues with the spring and damper not aligned and a 'clonking' sound coming from them?

Something loose in the boot well..battery..wheel brace etc?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:12 pm

When i first bought my car 9 years ago, I had knocking noise like someone hitting underside of boot with rubber mallet.
Final fix was removing right spring, washing rubbers in fairy liquid, coating in talc.
Refit then i turned spring 45 anticlockwise from from the "S1" printed on spring.

I had taken it to BMW but they couldn't fix, but i found this on internet, not a Z bulletin;
rubbers.jpg
rubbers.jpg (108.25 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Problem could be barrel springs pinch the rubber.
No noise since.
The usually occurred if say one rear wheel went over hump. I initially replaced the anti roll bushes with poly, that might also have helped.

I notice in the early days of the cars, a few complaints on the US Zed site.

LeePreston

Post by LeePreston » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:38 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:40 pm Have you checked the rear bushes in the suspension?

Some people have had issues with the spring and damper not aligned and a 'clonking' sound coming from them?

Something loose in the boot well..battery..wheel brace etc?
Thanks for this. I’m hoping to try and get some ideas before I go to the expense and time changing all the rear bushes.

Pretty sure it’s nothing in the boot. The knocking is accompanied by a creaking noise, also happening as soon as the car moves. But thanks for your suggestions

LeePreston

Post by LeePreston » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:40 pm

flybobbie wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:12 pm When i first bought my car 9 years ago, I had knocking noise like someone hitting underside of boot with rubber mallet.
Final fix was removing right spring, washing rubbers in fairy liquid, coating in talc.
Refit then i turned spring 45 anticlockwise from from the "S1" printed on spring.

I had taken it to BMW but they couldn't fix, but i found this on internet, not a Z bulletin;
rubbers.jpg

Problem could be barrel springs pinch the rubber.
No noise since.

The usually occurred if say one rear wheel went over hump. I initially replaced the anti roll bushes with poly, that might also have helped.

I notice in the early days of the cars, a few complaints on the US Zed site.
Thanks so much for this. I had the springs replaced about two years ago after one broke. I’ve had a suspicion it might have been spring related, but both appeared to be properly seated. I’ll have another look following this bulletin

Thanks for your help

Reamesy

Post by Reamesy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:33 am

Squirt each bush set in sequence with silicone lube. Then drive before moving to the next set. This should identify squeaks on bushes. Always change in pairs.

That would be my first start otherwise it’s a guessing game at a great expense.
Currently; 2011 E89 23i SDrive M Sport Highline Titan Silver
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2012 E89 SDrive 2.0 M Sport. White
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9

Hasselblad100

Post by Hasselblad100 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:25 pm

Hi

Did the OP find a solution?

Mine has a creaking sound at the rear when doing low speed in town. On A road or Motorway it’s silent. Suggests some kind of flexing issue is going on. Garage reported no visible broken parts

Thanks
Paul

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:14 am

Every couple of months i spray every joint and rubber seal with https://groceries.morrisons.com/product ... -369616011

Hasselblad100

Post by Hasselblad100 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:48 pm

Every suspension joint? How do you do that?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:03 am

Well not every, just an attempt to keep noises at bay, not sure it does any good.
But no noises.