Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Harsh suspension

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Harsh suspension

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:02 am

Benderloch wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:33 pm I would recommend fitting Bilstein B4s with Suplex springs. This is basically back to the original sports setup and at the correct height. How you setup these cars suspension depend totally on how you intend to use the car. For me my car will be used as a GT, so for me the standard setup with new shocks and springs is perfect.
Thing is though, the OP hasn't said what suspension is on it already, or how old that may be?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

rogerplum

Harsh suspension

Post by rogerplum » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:59 pm

Hello again, just to clear up a couple of points that I have not made clear. I purchased the car about 3 years ago and I am the 3rd owner. The car has covered 66k and is 14 years old (2007). When I purchased the car a few MOT certificates came with it and some invoices regarding works carried out, none involved the suspension, so it's on the original. After I got the car I had it given the once over and the only thing I had to get done were the S&F lower arm brake reaction bushes that was on my invoice that had to be replaced. As its on it's the original springs etc that's why I thought it may be tired and required a bit of upgrading. Thanks to all fellow Z4 members.
Attachments
DSC03633.JPG
DSC03633.JPG (108.67 KiB) Viewed 480 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Harsh suspension

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:50 pm

rogerplum wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:59 pm Hello again, just to clear up a couple of points that I have not made clear. I purchased the car about 3 years ago and I am the 3rd owner. The car has covered 66k and is 14 years old (2007). When I purchased the car a few MOT certificates came with it and some invoices regarding works carried out, none involved the suspension, so it's on the original. After I got the car I had it given the once over and the only thing I had to get done were the S&F lower arm brake reaction bushes that was on my invoice that had to be replaced. As its on it's the original springs etc that's why I thought it may be tired and required a bit of upgrading. Thanks to all fellow Z4 members.
Hello again. If that is the case and it's on the original shocks then you could start by doing a straight replacement. Good chance yours are worn now. I'm no expert on the coupe but everything I've heard about the roaster suggests the rear shocks get the most abuse, so if you're on a budget you could look at swapping them over first. I'm about to do just that on wifey's, with new top mounts and roll bar bushes while I'm under there too.
And thanks for the confirmation of your tyre sizes. They certainly don't look that deep in the sidewall, so my apologies.
Always helps to flood the forum with as much info as you can think of though, to aid assistance.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

rogerplum

Harsh suspension

Post by rogerplum » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:11 pm

No need to apologise at all. You never learn anything in life unless you ask about a subject. I passed my test in 1972 and had to dangle my arm out of the window to show I was turning. I may have picked up a bit of information about cars over the years but as always not enough. :driving:

skelters

Harsh suspension

Post by skelters » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:10 pm

Get a Hunter alignment check done before you do anything as any decent garage will be able to advise on the state of the suspension before you spend any money.

Ask them to check all the bushes and see what the shocks and springs are like.

If it's all original apart from a few bushes then there's a very high chance that the entire suspension needs replaced. Might as well get the bushes changed to Powerflex or similar at the same time.

I changed mine over to the Bilstein B12 Pro kit and now that I've done around 500 miles (in the past 6 months) the car is great compared to the original shocks and springs that were on the car. These have also lowered the car slightly by around 30mm or something. So that's 30mm lower than the original M Sport suspension on the car.

A good explanation on the different Z4 suspension set up can be found in this thread from the dead....
viewtopic.php?t=10378
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

dhobbs

Harsh suspension

Post by dhobbs » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 am

If you are complaining about harsh suspension I would avoid the B12 Pro kit. It is more suited to smooth roads and tracks and not potholed roads. I have it fitted and am currently replacing the eibach springs back for the normal m-sport versions (suplex ones). Only done the back ones and is much better.

Not saying the b12 is crap, but it suits different roads and styles, down here in Sussex the roads suit SUVs!
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Harsh suspension

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:49 am

dhobbs wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 am If you are complaining about harsh suspension I would avoid the B12 Pro kit. It is more suited to smooth roads and tracks and not potholed roads. I have it fitted and am currently replacing the eibach springs back for the normal m-sport versions (suplex ones). Only done the back ones and is much better.

Not saying the b12 is crap, but it suits different roads and styles, down here in Sussex the roads suit SUVs!
I'd think the OP would be best suited to replacing with standard, to the original spec, if the shocks are found to be worn out.

dhobbs

Harsh suspension

Post by dhobbs » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:54 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:49 am I'd think the OP would be best suited to replacing with standard, to the original spec, if the shocks are found to be worn out.
I agree completely :thumbsup:
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Harsh suspension

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:45 pm

dhobbs wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:54 pm enuff_zed wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:49 am
I'd think the OP would be best suited to replacing with standard, to the original spec, if the shocks are found to be worn out.
I agree completely
Bearing in mind the OP has a Sport model it will have had the M-Sport suspension when new.

So if it needs a refresh he could always consider getting the OE set up for the SE model, if he can live with it sitting 15mm higher!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

rogerplum

Harsh suspension

Post by rogerplum » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:14 pm

As I was unable to find a workable solution to the harsh suspension on my 2007 3.0 si sport coupe I decided to let the car go. A real shame, only recently I changed the wheels and tyres. I also had the engine oil and filter changed along with the pollen filter. I also had the rear axle oil and the automatic gearbox oil along with the filter replaced even though BMW say its not required to do so. The car was well looked after in my 3 years of ownership with the oils and filters changed at every MOT and service. The car was used as a deposit for my next car so I hope its next owner looks after her as well as I have, you never know it might show up on this fantastic Z4 forum.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Harsh suspension

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:37 pm

rogerplum wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:14 pm As I was unable to find a workable solution to the harsh suspension on my 2007 3.0 si sport coupe I decided to let the car go. A real shame, only recently I changed the wheels and tyres.
You don't mention that you had changed to suplex springs and the B4s as suggested. You old shocks were probably knackered and the extra height over the OE M-sport springs would have helped. As would 17 inch rims and thicker sidewall tyres.

I think you've done yourself out of a good car.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.