Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wireless charging/CarPlay iPhone overheating

miksilver

Post by miksilver » Thu May 27, 2021 8:24 am

Hi. Took delivery of my G29 M40i yesterday (yass!) and had a very long 5hr drive home.

After a couple of hours the iPhone12 pro max which was playing iTunes via CarPlay, overheated to the point that if gave temperature warnings then shut down. It was seriously hot to the touch. It was sitting in the wireless charger cradle but the charge was running down rather than increasing.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? I did search these forums but came up blank.

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Thu May 27, 2021 9:00 am

Congrats on the M40i . Hope you’ll be as happy as the rest of the G29 owners on here.

I’ve not had my iPhone overheating to the point of shut down but it does get hot when placed in the wireless charger. I charge with it’s case on though.
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu May 27, 2021 9:15 am

Hello and welcome.

Congratulations on the M40i, I hopefully get mine in a few weeks.

It will also have the wireless charging but in all the stuff I’ve read I’ve never seen this noted as an issue.

Do you wirelessly charge your phone anywhere else, just to eliminate its not an issue with the phone rather than the car?

Oh, and pictures of your new car would be good, maybe an introduction in the newbies section :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

bonzo

Post by bonzo » Thu May 27, 2021 9:25 am

Numerous people have reported similar issues.

I no longer use the wireless charger in my G29 after noticing that the phone hardly charged at all and became very warm. I use a Samsung S9 so it's not an Apple only issue.

The wireless charger in my 335d worked perfectly.

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Thu May 27, 2021 10:11 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:15 am
    It will also have the wireless charging but in all the stuff I’ve read I’ve never seen this noted as an issue.

I have and I'm sure that it was in the "Honest John" review.

Whilst awaiting my G29 I am driving a 630d GT and the wireless charging pad also warms up the phone but not dangerously so

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am

Ian J wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:11 am
    Argyll Andy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:15 am

I have and I'm sure that it was in the "Honest John" review.

Whilst awaiting my G29 I am driving a 630d GT and the wireless charging pad also warms up the phone but not dangerously so
    :thumbsup: I’ll give it a read, strange it’s ok in one model and not the other. TBH, I’m not in the habit of using wireless charging so if it’s not something I’ll miss if it’s not great.

Have you had a confirmed date yet, mine is being built as I type allegedly :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Thu May 27, 2021 2:38 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am
      Have you had a confirmed date yet, mine is being built as I type allegedly :thumbsup:
      It's built and now awaiting shipping so hopefully a couple of weeks time.

miksilver

Post by miksilver » Thu May 27, 2021 4:22 pm

Thanks everyone, looks like it's not just an isolated incident. I'll do some more research and see if there's a specific set of circumstances that cause it. I charge wirelessly every night and it barely gets warm.

I had it connected/charging today without using any CarPlay functions and it wasn't so hot but still hotter than it should be. With and without case.

I've tried another iPhone today too, with the same effect.

I'll monitor it for the next wee while and update here with any findings/research, etc.

ori

Post by ori » Fri May 28, 2021 7:37 pm

miksilver wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:22 pm Thanks everyone, looks like it's not just an isolated incident. I'll do some more research and see if there's a specific set of circumstances that cause it. I charge wirelessly every night and it barely gets warm.

I had it connected/charging today without using any CarPlay functions and it wasn't so hot but still hotter than it should be. With and without case.

I'll monitor it for the next wee while and update here with any findings/research, etc.
      I’ll save you the trouble. It happens. I’m going to assume you were using the phone navigation via Apple car play? Playing music and probably making calls a fair bit?

It happened to me today and that’s the usual culprits. I find the wireless pad great on most occasions and since most of my journeys aren’t that long, I rarely have the issue.

Wish they would have a vent there cooling it down.

raven

Post by raven » Sun May 30, 2021 8:59 am

ori wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:37 pm
      miksilver wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:22 pm Thanks everyone, looks like it's not just an isolated incident. I'll do some more research and see if there's a specific set of circumstances that cause it. I charge wirelessly every night and it barely gets warm.

I’ll save you the trouble. It happens. I’m going to assume you were using the phone navigation via Apple car play? Playing music and probably making calls a fair bit?

It happened to me today and that’s the usual culprits. I find the wireless pad great on most occasions and since most of my journeys aren’t that long, I rarely have the issue.

Wish they would have a vent there cooling it down.
      What Ori says :)
      its because your phone is in use while charging, you get the same effect when plugging it in a cord charger and then watch some youtube videos or something, since in your car it automatically connects to the Bluetooth and maybe carplay with one or 2 apps, i'm guessing thats the reason why it gets hot. If I'm not mistaken there is a built in protection on the charger that it shuts off when it gets too hot and I'm guessing most phones will have this protection too.
      2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

Sgreen

Post by Sgreen » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:23 pm

I was speaking to one of the sales people this weekend after taking a M40i out for a spin. It is now a known fault with BMW and they are deleting the wireless charger on all the Z4's for now. Don't know about other models though.
      Supra twin turbo, great in a straight, rubbish around twistys
      NSX, pretty cool but no heated seats and can't get top down
      Z4 23i sdrive, now gone, got the wrong car, need more power.
      Z4 35is loved and missed
      Z4 M40i one word sums it up Wow!

ori

Post by ori » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:18 pm

Sgreen wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:23 pm I was speaking to one of the sales people this weekend after taking a M40i out for a spin. It is now a known fault with BMW and they are deleting the wireless charger on all the Z4's for now. Don't know about other models though.
      The wireless charging delete has nothing to do with the overheating and far more to do with the chip shortage. It’s deleted along with the digital key which is very annoying as Apple has finally launched and bmw are adopting the wide band unlocking so you could literally just have your phone in pocket as a key and not need to pull it out to unlock.

captainchadl

Post by captainchadl » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:31 am

My iphone 12 plus pro got really hot too while using the wireless charger, but I now have an iphone 13 plus pro and it doesn't get hot while using the wireless charger. I haven't noticed how well it charges the 13. I will be taking a 1.5 hour trip one way this weekend, I will let you know how the charging goes with the 13.
      2021 z4 m40i

ori

Post by ori » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:17 am

captainchadl wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:31 am My iphone 12 plus pro got really hot too while using the wireless charger, but I now have an iphone 13 plus pro and it doesn't get hot while using the wireless charger. I haven't noticed how well it charges the 13. I will be taking a 1.5 hour trip one way this weekend, I will let you know how the charging goes with the 13.
      Depends what you are doing with the phone. If you are using CarPlay and the phone navigation it has a heat issue.

Saying that, my new m40i doesn't have the wireless charging and I fitted my own and that doesn’t suffer the same problems as the bmw one did.

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:54 am

One of the issues is that there is no recognised industry standard for wireless charging. We have a 12 month old Ford Puma that wont charge my iPhone 12 and my Mrs iPhone 13 as Apple changed the location of the charge antenna and didn't tell anyone...