Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which Runflats

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Busterboo

Which Runflats

Post by Busterboo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:43 pm

Is the (relatively) new generation of 'XL' tyres a compromise between 'normal' and 'RFT', I wonder? Does the XLs' heavier construction make them less vulnerable to minor punctures? Are they stiffer? Or is their weight a disadvantage?
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Which Runflats

Post by Smartbear » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:13 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:43 pm Is the (relatively) new generation of 'XL' tyres a compromise between 'normal' and 'RFT', I wonder? Does the XLs' heavier construction make them less vulnerable to minor punctures? Are they stiffer? Or is their weight a disadvantage?
I think they’re designed for heavier cars/loads? No runflat capability as far as i know :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

blunderthumbs

Which Runflats

Post by blunderthumbs » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:29 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:08 pm I recently had a set of alloys on a Z that had Pirelli PZ4 runflats , very very impressed , i honestly could not tell they were rft , worlds apart from the Bridgestone
I have Pirelli P7 RF's on my F31 and as you say the ride is fine. No different to my Z which has non RF's on it.
2004 Black Sapphire 3.0L SE. Red leather. Back box delete. Clutch valve delete. Roof motor relocated. 18" M star spoke style 193. Machine Monkey exhaust tips. Gap Tec. ZHP Gear knob. Clear side repeaters. Zun Sport lower grille.

Busterboo

Which Runflats

Post by Busterboo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:13 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:13 pm
Busterboo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:43 pm Is the (relatively) new generation of 'XL' tyres a compromise between 'normal' and 'RFT', I wonder? Does the XLs' heavier construction make them less vulnerable to minor punctures? Are they stiffer? Or is their weight a disadvantage?
I think they’re designed for heavier cars/loads? No runflat capability as far as i know :?
Rob
I'm on my second Pirelli set of them and find they perform very well: good grip when pushed, flat wear and decent longevity.
Vidi, vici, veni

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Which Runflats

Post by ronk » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 pm

Ive posted elsewhere on the forum re the Michelin PS4's runflat version - Due to a mobility issue I would find it difficult to deal with a flat tyre these days. I would like to change to a Michelin PS4s as they do get good reviews but as there is a RFT version available I wondered if I should maybe give them a go - If they aren't any good I will run the risk and carry the can of gunk ant the mini compressor as usual.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Which Runflats

Post by flybobbie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:19 pm

You can get Asy 5 in runflats.

Fireball

Which Runflats

Post by Fireball » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:31 pm

I know it has been a while since the original post, here is what happened.

First tyres changed were the rears as they were well down on the wear bars, in the end due to apparent lack of availability of the Goodyear’s Asy I went for Michelin PS run flats. The transformation in grip and noise was nothing short of staggering compared the removed Bridgestones, ride quality from the rear tyres was also much improved with the crashiness over rough tarmac, potholes and manhole covers also much improved.

Once they were scrubbed a problem reared it’s head, the front end kept washing out on bends and roundabouts. I guess in terms of steering it was massive understeer, in reality the fronts just couldn’t hang in there with the amount of grip the rears were providing. It was enough to cause the traction control to kick in at times which was a bit puzzling, at the time the front tyres had 3 - 4mm of tread left on them.

Result was a change to matching Michelin’s at the front - the car is now totally transformed, quieter, much more compliant over rough surface, potholes etc and no tramlining, no washing out and traction control behaves itself.

In reality it feels no less compliant than my grocery getter which has 19” wheels and non runflats. ( Z has 18” assymetric wheels )

I guess in conclusion it just shows how far behind the game Bridgestone runflats are these days, I certainly plan to keep running runflats for as long as I have the Z as a result of this experience. Non runflats maybe even better but this will do me for now.
2010 23i M sport
2016 BMW R1200 RS SE

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Which Runflats

Post by flybobbie » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:47 pm

Would you think BMW bought a batch of Bridgestones just to do the job. Not necessarily the best, but a good deal they couldn't refuse.
We know by now mixing tyres front and rear a no-no. Save pennies and change all four.

tiglon

Which Runflats

Post by tiglon » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:18 pm

Don't forget that you're not only switching brands, you are also changing from old, worn tyres to new ones. That in itself will likely make a big difference.

I'm surprised your runflat michelins are quiet, because my non-runflat PS4S's are noisy as hell. In every other respect they are brilliant, but quiet they are not.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Zed Baron

Which Runflats

Post by Zed Baron » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:48 am

Just out of interest are the G29's fitted with runflats?

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Which Runflats

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:04 am

Zed Baron wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:48 am Just out of interest are the G29's fitted with runflats?
No, they’re not, normal Michelin pilot SuperSports iirc :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Zed Baron

Which Runflats

Post by Zed Baron » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:40 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:04 am
    Zed Baron wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:48 am Just out of interest are the G29's fitted with runflats?
    Thanks Andy, thats interesting that BMW have steered away from them this time. I read that the M40i hadn't got them but wasn't sure about the rest of the range.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Which Runflats

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:54 am

Zed Baron wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:40 am
    Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:04 am
    Thanks Andy, thats interesting that BMW have steered away from them this time. I read that the M40i hadn't got them but wasn't sure about the rest of the range.
    Rick, they all came with non run flats, a compressor and gunk kit. Sars asked about the tyres in another post and was surprised that they were Pilot SuperSports when they’d been superseded by MPS4S’s. When I need to replace I’m not sure which ones I will replace with. Pros and cons, PSP’s grip like mad in the dry, not so grippy in the wet/cold wear quite quickly :oops: PS4S’s not quite so grippy/sticky in the dry (but still good) but slightly better in the wet/cold and didn’t have them on long enough to assess wear as I sold the car not long after. All IMO of course :thumbsup:
    Attachments
    36C56B72-03BC-4ED6-B8DC-EE80EA6E3E76.png
    36C56B72-03BC-4ED6-B8DC-EE80EA6E3E76.png (515.31 KiB) Viewed 421 times

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

carlosfandango

Which Runflats

Post by carlosfandango » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:10 am

Just fitted Pirelli P Zeros 18" to the front end, it has transformed the handling 500%.
      No tramlining and the handling is spot on, so happy I have kept the Run Flats and found a tyre that works, recommended Guys :thumbsup:
      2012 E89 sDrive 20i Auto - Deep Blue Sea Metallic

Mr Tidy
      Legend
      Legend

Which Runflats

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:32 pm

I went through 2 sets of 17" Pirelli P Zero run-flats on my 123d, but ended up with Pirelli P7s for the last set.

Still I was very happy with both options, although the P Zeros tended to wear on the outer edges and once they were down to about 3mm they did tramline a bit. I didn't keep it long enough to see if the P7s did the same!
      Coupes because stunning!
      Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
      Gone - Montego Blue
      Gone - Ruby Black