Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ByMiles Insurance

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

ByMiles Insurance

Post by bluestreak56 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:32 pm

Has anyone had any experience of By Miles? Im considering putting my X4 on with them as Im company mandated to work from home until at least July (will likely be extended) and my best traditional quote is coming up at £361 + £30 Legal

I paid £500 last year and the car sat in the garage, barely doing 3000 miles all year..

By Miles is £165 + 3.2ppm for me..

Any experience with this type of "black box"? they claim to only look at the mileage use data..

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

ByMiles Insurance

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:36 pm

bluestreak56 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:32 pm Has anyone had any experience of By Miles? Im considering putting my X4 on with them as Im company mandated to work from home until at least July (will likely be extended) and my best traditional quote is coming up at £361 + £30 Legal

I paid £500 last year and the car sat in the garage, barely doing 3000 miles all year..

Any experience with this type of "black box"? they claim to only look at the mileage use data..
Two experiences of black boxes,

First one, my mate who owns a garage had to write a letter (I know!!) to a charge per the miles insurance company to stop the customers insurance being cancelled.

Car broke down, couldn’t be fixed locally and he had to be relayed to a main dealer 85 miles away. Car flagged up several breach of speed limits on the journey, including 56 in a 30. The company got in touch saying they were going to cancel in xx hrs it was explained the car was on a transporter and not being driven by their client. They requested written proof from my mate and the dealer that the car had arrived on a transporter.

Insurance remained in place but guy queried with insurance company as he had also told they didn’t monitor speed. They said they don’t “police” it but if over a certain % of any limit it’s flagged up and classed as an excessive risk and can therefore cancel the policy.

Second, my daughter had a pay per miles policy, got a traffic light system for speed, time of day etc. Three months consecutive red breaches above a tolerable limit for one category then insurance would have been cancelled. I queried this out of curiosity after hearing about the first one, same answer, if an excessive risk can be established insurance can be cancelled.

They can establish the excessive risk because the black box is fitted.

You can imagine my answer when Aviva offered me a £10 discount on the Zed if I was prepared to install their driving monitoring system :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Woodrow

ByMiles Insurance

Post by Woodrow » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:10 am

Morning all. Hope everything is good.
    How about nominating a maximum mileage. I do this and it works out cheaper on the premium. They can track the mileage through the MOT and on my car that doesn’t have an MOT I have to send a photo of the mileage. Might be worth a try. :D

bluestreak56
    Lifer
    Lifer

ByMiles Insurance

Post by bluestreak56 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:58 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:36 pm
    bluestreak56 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:32 pm Has anyone had any experience of By Miles? Im considering putting my X4 on with them as Im company mandated to work from home until at least July (will likely be extended) and my best traditional quote is coming up at £361 + £30 Legal

Two experiences of black boxes,

First one, my mate who owns a garage had to write a letter (I know!!) to a charge per the miles insurance company to stop the customers insurance being cancelled.

Car broke down, couldn’t be fixed locally and he had to be relayed to a main dealer 85 miles away. Car flagged up several breach of speed limits on the journey, including 56 in a 30. The company got in touch saying they were going to cancel in xx hrs it was explained the car was on a transporter and not being driven by their client. They requested written proof from my mate and the dealer that the car had arrived on a transporter.

Insurance remained in place but guy queried with insurance company as he had also told they didn’t monitor speed. They said they don’t “police” it but if over a certain % of any limit it’s flagged up and classed as an excessive risk and can therefore cancel the policy.

Second, my daughter had a pay per miles policy, got a traffic light system for speed, time of day etc. Three months consecutive red breaches above a tolerable limit for one category then insurance would have been cancelled. I queried this out of curiosity after hearing about the first one, same answer, if an excessive risk can be established insurance can be cancelled.

They can establish the excessive risk because the black box is fitted.

You can imagine my answer when Aviva offered me a £10 discount on the Zed if I was prepared to install their driving monitoring system :rofl:
    Thanks for the advice, naturally bymiles claim not to look at anything except the number of miles covered. Hence not a true black box..

Been on the phone with Diamond and got them down in price but theres still a divide:

Diamond:
    BMW X4 £375.20 (was £450)
    Golf £228.30 (was £300)

Other offers:
    BMW X4 £165 + 3.2ppm with Bymiles (+£50 referral credit)
    Golf £238 with Hastings/Swinton

So if we do the maths. The bymiles offer will allow me to do 8093 miles in the year before I reach a total of £375. Compare this to the Diamond quote which covers me for 6k but is unchecked as its traditional insurance.

So both are roughly equivalent just need to guess how many miles im going to cover this year as if its similar to last year (around 3000 miles) then I could save £163 if bymiles are ok..
    Woodrow wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:10 am Morning all. Hope everything is good.
    How about nominating a maximum mileage. I do this and it works out cheaper on the premium. They can track the mileage through the MOT and on my car that doesn’t have an MOT I have to send a photo of the mileage. Might be worth a try. :D
    who do you insure with? Ive not come across a traditional insurer who actually check miles covered before..

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

ByMiles Insurance

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:25 pm

Don’t know if it’ll work for you depending on location, NCD driving record etc but both my cars are insured by Aviva.

If you have any policy with them you get a 10% discount on any subsequent policy. They offer a worthless life insurance policy for £1.99 p/m. That will give you the 10% off both cars if you don’t already have a policy with them. It was the agent on the phone that told me about this.

I just renewed my 3 series last week with them. I asked about lowering the mileage to save on premium as I’m working from home. Reduced the mileage from 12k - 3k including business use made not one penny difference so just left it at 12k

325i £209 12k including 3k business
    35iS £246 8k including 2k business

Both have the discount applied.

Re the mileage check by insurance companies, when discussing a valuation on my daughter’s car when it was written off last summer they mentioned how little use it’d had since she’d bought it, about 800 miles in 6 months, and I said pandemic etc etc. Asked them if they checked the mileage when a claim was made and they said they spot checked MOT history on every 10th-15th claim to see if it tied in with declared mileage. That was Admiral so don’t know about others.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

bluestreak56
      Lifer
      Lifer

ByMiles Insurance

Post by bluestreak56 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:32 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:25 pm Don’t know if it’ll work for you depending on location, NCD driving record etc but both my cars are insured by Aviva.
      Thanks for the feedback. I did try Aviva but I think age was an issue. If anyone's interested I did come to a conclusion on this matter.

I rang Diamond and told them to cancel, they wanted to try and keep me (again after the first best offer of £150 less than renewal) so I let them try.

After making a few adjustments and trying a few tests like reducing mileage it turns out that removing my wife (33 years old with 12 years NCB and no points/accidents) actually reduced the premium on my car by a further £102.

All of which mean the Golf was £228. and the BMW £273 for a total £501 for the pair. Which is virtually what I paid for the BMW alone last year!

Very pleased. I'm guessing my wife's age was the big issue. However with virtually every other insurer I tried adding her reduced the policy.. not this time I guess!

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

ByMiles Insurance

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:46 am

bluestreak56 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:32 am
      Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:25 pm Don’t know if it’ll work for you depending on location, NCD driving record etc but both my cars are insured by Aviva.
      Thanks for the feedback. I did try Aviva but I think age was an issue. If anyone's interested I did come to a conclusion on this matter.

I rang Diamond and told them to cancel, they wanted to try and keep me (again after the first best offer of £150 less than renewal) so I let them try.

After making a few adjustments and trying a few tests like reducing mileage it turns out that removing my wife (33 years old with 12 years NCB and no points/accidents) actually reduced the premium on my car by a further £102.

All of which mean the Golf was £228. and the BMW £273 for a total £501 for the pair. Which is virtually what I paid for the BMW alone last year!

Very pleased. I'm guessing my wife's age was the big issue. However with virtually every other insurer I tried adding her reduced the policy.. not this time I guess!
      So it only works if you’re an old fecker like me then :rofl: :rofl:

Glad you got sorted :thumbsup:

Funny what you’re saying about taking the wife off.

We were told by any insurance company that we spoke too to put me on my daughter’s policy and it brought the price down by at least a couple of hundred each time even though I never really drove her car. This year with Admiral she phoned to query/negotiate her renewal, they suggested taking me off but she said that had always made it go down, including with them last year. They said there had been a change at their end and it would be cheaper to take me off. She told them to try it, nothing changed apart from removing me and her premium went down £174 :thumbsup:

bluestreak56
        Lifer
        Lifer

ByMiles Insurance

Post by bluestreak56 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:49 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:46 am
        bluestreak56 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:32 am

So it only works if you’re an old fecker like me then :rofl: :rofl:

Glad you got sorted :thumbsup:

Funny what you’re saying about taking the wife off.

We were told by any insurance company that we spoke too to put me on my daughter’s policy and it brought the price down by at least a couple of hundred each time even though I never really drove her car. This year with Admiral she phoned to query/negotiate her renewal, they suggested taking me off but she said that had always made it go down, including with them last year. They said there had been a change at their end and it would be cheaper to take me off. She told them to try it, nothing changed apart from removing me and her premium went down £174 :thumbsup:
        Im 36, but feeling old these days lol

Very interesting, sounds like Admiral have made another change (as they did by charging more for parking in the garage than on the drive years ago - that seems to have evened out now).

Good news all round then! :thumbsup: