Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MMI installation - question for the master

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Roddy

Post by Roddy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:10 am

I've decided Youtube isn't necessary after all, too much faff and I won't watch video while driving anyway, my wife reckons Google maps satellite is dangerous enough!
So it's been a while since installation, I haven't really used it much, but finally after a few MMI and Android auto updates I can say it's working well. I played with the sound earlier, and improved it a lot, but there seems to be one remaining issue which isn't really a big problem, coding gizmos can not see the head unit as the MMI is interrupting. I've read a lot about it on another forum, a thread relating to MMI boxes of all flavours currently at 439 pages :lol:

I tested today with Bimmercode: (apologies for big pics)
Screenshot_20220121-121517351.jpg
Screenshot_20220121-121517351.jpg (72.79 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Screenshot_20220121-121452923.jpg
Screenshot_20220121-121452923.jpg (28.73 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Then Bimmerlink:
Screenshot_20220121-121900386.jpg
Screenshot_20220121-121900386.jpg (76.24 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Codes 21Jan.jpg
Codes 21Jan.jpg (29.66 KiB) Viewed 634 times
There isn't much to be coded on the head unit, so not a big deal, but I have read that an updated MCU may fix it, others have had success.
Anyone else tested for codes after MMI install?

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:15 am

Roddy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:10 am I've decided Youtube isn't necessary after all, too much faff and I won't watch video while driving anyway, my wife reckons Google maps satellite is dangerous enough!
So it's been a while since installation, I haven't really used it much, but finally after a few MMI and Android auto updates I can say it's working well. I played with the sound earlier, and improved it a lot, but there seems to be one remaining issue which isn't really a big problem, coding gizmos can not see the head unit as the MMI is interrupting. I've read a lot about it on another forum, a thread relating to MMI boxes of all flavours currently at 439 pages :lol:

I tested today with Bimmercode: (apologies for big pics)

Screenshot_20220121-121517351.jpg Screenshot_20220121-121452923.jpg

Then Bimmerlink:
Screenshot_20220121-121900386.jpg Codes 21Jan.jpg

There isn't much to be coded on the head unit, so not a big deal, but I have read that an updated MCU may fix it, others have had success.
Anyone else tested for codes after MMI install?
I remember reading somewhere that it maybe necessary to disconnect the MMI box when coding. It obviously must interfere with the signal.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 pm

This is very true, I've found that if I need to access the CIC then I need to disconnect the MMI first. No biggy really, takes around 5 minutes, but like you say it's not like you need to regularly, so not really a problem.

Alas I can't see there being many more, if any, further updates for the older MMI boxes now :thumbsdown:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:03 am

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 pm This is very true, I've found that if I need to access the CIC then I need to disconnect the MMI first. No biggy really, takes around 5 minutes, but like you say it's not like you need to regularly, so not really a problem.

Alas I can't see there being many more, if any, further updates for the older MMI boxes now :thumbsdown:
Not much to code on the head unit, I did code something pre-MMI installation, can't remember what.
Any idea what this is? It's in the head unit, but I already see service info on my display.
Screenshot_20220121-210102132.jpg
Screenshot_20220121-210102132.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 591 times
In the unlikely event I need to code, is it just a case of unplugging the MMI above the glove box? Removing the head unit again is not going to happen in 5 minutes!

There seems to be an outstanding MCU update for my Andream, I'll hold off until I know what that will achieve.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:41 pm

Roddy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:03 am ....
In the unlikely event I need to code, is it just a case of unplugging the MMI above the glove box? Removing the head unit again is not going to happen in 5 minutes!

There seems to be an outstanding MCU update for my Andream, I'll hold off until I know what that will achieve.
Unplugging the MMI box will give you a red screen only, it will not allow anything to work. You'd need to unplug the T loom and plug the original quadlock connector back into the rear of the headunit.
5 minutes!! Yes, using the plastic trim tool release and remove the surround trim for the headunit, then unscrew the 4 screws holding the headunit in, pull forward and remember to protect your trim with a cloth. For a bit more room, for a manual release the gear surround trim and then "yank" upwards on the gear knob. For an auto, again release the gear surround trim, for the later cars with the 8 speed auto, release the electrical plug to the right of the lever (under the trim) and then yank upwards on the knob.

On the quadlock connector don't forget to replace the MOST fibre optic lines back to the original quadlock.

And yes this is genuinly a 5 minute job, no need to remove anything else at all. :thumbsup:
Dave

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Tue May 31, 2022 8:43 am

Roddy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:48 am Quick question... again to AnubisZed.
Got my set up ready to go, just finding time..... The people at Andream suggest the following A# to B#, but I know your setting is with L# to B#, which works. What's the difference?
I've seen several versions of their manual, all different :) and none of them suggest L# to B#. Not doubting your video info at all, just curious.
Closer inspection shows A# labelled "Low Can", B# is high Can :? ?

Connector A B.jpg

Choices choices.......

3 methods.jpg
I'm going to drag this up again, I know I settled the connection as A# to B# (Andream advice), and Dave had another connection, but I stumbled on a comment somewhere with this, F30 thread.
In order to be able to read/code CIC, use "connect 1" method in the image below. I was able to read/code the CIC unit once I connected it that way (this is the default method, it should come pre-attached in this configuration I believe)

Couple things to bear in mind.

If your disc drive is DVD compatible (I checked my VIN and it had a S697A code AREA-CODE 1 FOR DVD, Area Code 1 means North America), you can connect via method 3 (connect #A to #B). In essence you won't need to use the idrive harness that comes with the andream unit, however you will lose the ability to read cic module. you method 1 if you do want to read cic unit still
unknown.png
unknown.png (370.61 KiB) Viewed 456 times
So other models had the same coding CIC issues, this was one solution, i.e connection 1, on F30 models anyway.

Also I recently watched a Bimmertech video of an install of their MMI unit into an E89, and they DO connect to the iDrive harness. This begs the question, if these units are all more of less the same, why didn't we need to connect to C#? If I've forgotten what the answer was, apologies. :oops:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue May 31, 2022 9:33 am

Go with whichever works for the Z4. I've seen E9x (3 series) that have the iDrive controller cable connected and it's the same system as in the E89, but I've never seen a successful E89 installation with the same cable, so it's trial and error :thumbsup:
Dave

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:28 pm

Hi Dave

Just upgrading my speakers and was also checking my MMI box as I have been having problems receiving phone calls. If a call comes in I can accept them using the dial/ok but cannot hear anything (via phone or WhatsApp). I had a look at the settings in the original BMW Dashboard and Bluetooth is not connected.
S there a particular setting in either the original dash or MMI settings I can check please?

Also, should the MMI box be able to display any texts sent as they don’t come up on the screen, just an option to cancel or reply.

Many thanks
E89 3.0i, Deep sea blue, stubby!

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:23 am

Yoghurt wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:28 pm Hi Dave

Just upgrading my speakers and was also checking my MMI box as I have been having problems receiving phone calls. If a call comes in I can accept them using the dial/ok but cannot hear anything (via phone or WhatsApp). I had a look at the settings in the original BMW Dashboard and Bluetooth is not connected.
S there a particular setting in either the original dash or MMI settings I can check please?

Also, should the MMI box be able to display any texts sent as they don’t come up on the screen, just an option to cancel or reply.

Many thanks
There should be a setting in the box settings page (NOT the on screen phone settings) that gives you the option to answer via Android Auto/CarPlay or via the original Bluetooth. To use the Android Auto/CarPlay option then you need the Bluetooth connection between your phone and the mmi. If you use the original Bluetooth option then when you receive a call the mmi "should" switch over to the BMW iDrive Bluetooth calls screen to answer, and then the call will be heard. If it's not switching over then I'd suggest this setting is set to the mmi answer option, but without a Bluetooth connection for either being established.

As for messages, yes these should display. On Android Auto they can be found by going to the Bell icon, and they can be displayed and read or read out via Google Text to Speach*. And on CarPlay you'll find messages in the Messages app icon.
* Facebook Messenger messages no longer are recognised by Android Auto, this is a worldwide issue with all mmi boxes and all phones and has been ongoing for quite a while now with no inclination as to whether there will ever be a resolution to it!
Dave

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:46 am

Many thanks Dave, will take a look
E89 3.0i, Deep sea blue, stubby!

simnew

Post by simnew » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:32 pm

Having read through this whole thread, I was left wondering if all this applied to the Mr12volt product which seems to have a really good spec and features OEM microphone integration as well as fibre optic audio…? Dave, I thought you had swapped over to this box these days ?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:59 pm

simnew wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:32 pm Having read through this whole thread, I was left wondering if all this applied to the Mr12volt product which seems to have a really good spec and features OEM microphone integration as well as fibre optic audio…? Dave, I thought you had swapped over to this box these days ?
I do indeed now have the 1st gen Mr12volt mmi installed :thumbsup: this post was originally started 3 years ago :driving:
Dave

DonDon

Post by DonDon » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:45 am

I am trying to summon up the courage to install the new mr12volt box with OEM mic support and I have a few questions before I dive in.

Where does the cable from the car's microphone go so I can plug in the mic Y cable?

If I mount the MMI box behind the air vents, do I still need to drop the glove box for access?

I am thinking of getting one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/LANMU-Extensio ... 135&sr=8-6 SD slot extender so that if there is a firmware update, I don't need to get at the box.
2013 E89 28i auto

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:45 pm

DonDon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:45 am SD slot extender so that if there is a firmware update, I don't need to get at the box.
Speaking of firmware updates, since I installed my older style MMI box some four years ago I have not updated it once. Everything seems to work fine apart from the odd red screen on shut down but that corrects itself in a few seconds. So another question for the master, is there any real need to update the firmware?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:01 pm

Not all of the updates make any real difference. I've not updated mine for over a year, and it works perfectly fine :thumbsup:

And yes I bought one of those memory card extenders, but I never used it. One as I couldn't find a suitable place, but more importantly is that you need to unplug the box for the update process to work, so you still need to get at the box.

As for the position of the microphone, at 20:40 on this video I show the microphone position and how to access it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY-pSPUz0IU&t=1240s
Dave