Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How-To: E86 CD changer cables for BlueMusic Bluetooth

Benderloch

How-To: E86 CD changer cables for bluetooth

Post by Benderloch » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:46 pm

Hi All
I’ve just fitted this Bluetooth unit to my coupe and thanks to this excellent thread it was very straightforward. Once it was connected I sat in the car and connected to my phone. The problem started when I tried to select CD on the radio. It would stay on CD for a few second ( no sound) then switch to Aux. I knew I had a iPod cable in the glove compartment and thought this may be the problem so I removed the radio with in intention of removing this iPod cable. Once the radio came out I discovered a xcarlink box tucked in there. I assume I will need to remove the wiring for the xcarlink and return the CD changer wiring. Any suggestions and direction would be great.

Thanks
E86 Silver Grey Red leather, Piano Black trim.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 am

Benderloch wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:46 pm Hi All
I’ve just fitted this Bluetooth unit to my coupe and thanks to this excellent thread it was very straightforward. Once it was connected I sat in the car and connected to my phone. The problem started when I tried to select CD on the radio. It would stay on CD for a few second ( no sound) then switch to Aux. I knew I had a iPod cable in the glove compartment and thought this may be the problem so I removed the radio with in intention of removing this iPod cable. Once the radio came out I discovered a xcarlink box tucked in there. I assume I will need to remove the wiring for the xcarlink and return the CD changer wiring. Any suggestions and direction would be great.

Thanks
Does sound as though you need to return the CD player wiring to stock and remove the xcarlink. The selection of CD should hopefully then default to your new BT cable rather than switching over.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Benderloch

Post by Benderloch » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:24 pm

inkey$ wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 am
Benderloch wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:46 pm Hi All

Thanks
Does sound as though you need to return the CD player wiring to stock and remove the xcarlink. The selection of CD should hopefully then default to your new BT cable rather than switching over.
Hi
Removed the xcarlink unit, still not connecting.
55BD61F4-6A67-402E-B7D9-F313FABC49B7.jpeg
55BD61F4-6A67-402E-B7D9-F313FABC49B7.jpeg (85.62 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
This is the head unit plug with the plug that was connected to the xcarlink box. Not sure if there should be an other cable somewhere for this to connect to.
I also have a CK 3100 parrot fitted which works perfectly, however could this be an issue with what I’m trying to do.
Attachments
229729A0-93D2-4FF2-B6FF-87165197DC0B.jpeg
229729A0-93D2-4FF2-B6FF-87165197DC0B.jpeg (123.09 KiB) Viewed 2680 times

Benderloch

Post by Benderloch » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm

I replaced the cable harness from the head unit to the junction block and all is working properly. It appears that when the xcarlink unit was fitted this harness was also changed to accommodate the new unit. Result :D :D

Mau

Post by Mau » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:36 pm

inkey$ wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:26 pm
Weston Matt wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:57 pm Hi inkey$ What hifi have you got? I notice on Amazon it says not with DSP. I don’t know if that’s just with Mini though?.
I have the 10 speaker non-dsp hifi. Literally two cable blocks to attach. I *think* there's a DSP version of this dongle with additional plug, but may have imagined that.
Brilliant bit of kit for the money these Bluemusic modules. I have them both in my '03 - DSP-equipped - roadster, as well as my '08 - non-DSP - coupe.

The rumor has it (but admittedly the rationale for the rumor is not entirely clear) that DSP issues could arise only with the trunk-installed Bluemusic modules, as inkey$ has just installed.

These modules however also come as a direct plug for behind the head unit (with different connectors than the trunk ones). DSP issues do not exist with the ones mounted directly on the head unit. My '03 roadster is the living proof of that, so are many examples on the German forum (www.zroadster.com).

Also, these modules come as versions with a mic attached, as well as without. So if you do not have an OEM mic, you could order a Bluemusic module with a mic (albeit that the phone buttons on your MSFW button will not work; the Bluemusic module with a mic only transfers in- and outcoming sound via Bluetooth, no more than that). If you are considering a Bluemusic module WITH a mic, I would definitely recommend the module installed directly behind the head unit, as this makes the wiring of the mic easier.

Should you decide to pursue the head unit route, do not forget that you need to pull the fuse from the CD changer.
Image More on the '03 roadster and '08 coupe:click me.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:25 pm

The original DSP was optical which is why there is an issue and adapter is required at changer end. At some point (pre facelift) this was changed to analogue DSP which then does not require an adapter.

sharif

Post by sharif » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 am

I purchased a GROM USB3 with the BT attachment (Which looks identical to the blue music one - except the wiring goes into an auxiliary cable as opposed to the cd changer cables).

The GROM worked great and recently appears to have packed in. The USB function doesn't work nor the bluetooth. From reading other reports online, a number of people have said their GROM units have failed after about 2 years of use.

I don't want to keep changing this every 2 years. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best bluetooth kit available purely for streaming music?

I was thinking to just get the bluemusic one but have also read a lot of reviews stating they have stopped working after a short while.
Current - Edition 30 Golf GTi

Previous - Z4MC

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:37 pm

Bluemusic one is cheap enough to buy two or three in reserve. So far, so good with mine although its relatively young still. Cant understand why it would pack in though, as it's a simple enough powered attachment.

Cant recommend it enough actually. I have OEM mic in the car and when a call comes in or goes out, the music stops, the nav screen flips up and I can answer from the wheel.
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

sharif

Post by sharif » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:52 pm

inkey$ wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:37 pm Bluemusic one is cheap enough to buy two or three in reserve. So far, so good with mine although its relatively young still. Cant understand why it would pack in though, as it's a simple enough powered attachment.

Cant recommend it enough actually. I have OEM mic in the car and when a call comes in or goes out, the music stops, the nav screen flips up and I can answer from the wheel.
Thanks for your feedback! I'm trying to explore if GROM will repair or replace the existing unit. Failing that, I may go for a bluemusic one!
Current - Edition 30 Golf GTi

Previous - Z4MC

Major Mojo

Post by Major Mojo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:03 pm

inkey$ wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:59 pm 1) Remove battery cover floor panel.
2) Remove the two plastic retaining screws holding in the carpet where the boot ‘steps’ up.
3) Pull back carpet to bulkhead.
4) Lift out right side trim panel enough from the bottom and place something sturdy underneath to keep it held up (this requires a little force once you’ve push-released the trim tabs that fold into the rear bulkhead section)
5) Repeat this step on the left side, being careful not to damage the trim. Wedge this side too.
6) You should now have a gap almost the back bulkhead of around 10cms to root around in.
7) Cables should be somewhere in the centre. Get your hand up and into the recess behind the rear centre console. For me, thats where they were.

My entire attempt at this has been a balls up. I got to step 6, but cannot see how you managed the bottom half of that photo? After pulling out the carpet screws on the bottom piece (15 minutes of "unscrewing" got now where so I ripped the out) I propped up the two side panels with cups this is what mine looks like:
IMG_0228.jpg
IMG_0228.jpg (238.94 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
But the problem is my bulkhead carpet piece is rigid just like the floor piece covering the battery! I manage to pull it out a bit but only enough to get a finger in. I can feel the bundle but cannot see or get at anything. What did you do to actually get the bulkhead carpet up?!?!? :headbang:

AnthonyK

Post by AnthonyK » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:24 pm

inkey$ wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:47 pm Failing that then other options are things like AUX with powered BT dongle
Hi all, this is a great write up, I have tried the AUX BT dongle but the sound are not coming out on all speakers. Once I switch back to radio or CD it works fine. Is this normal?

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:03 pm

Major Mojo: man that sucks. Step 6 is the really difficult part. Feels counterintuitive to pull the edges of that rear bulkhead trim up (the rigid horizontal bit behind your mugs in the picture you posted), but it does go and you need to wedge something under it very quickly.

Just needs some force in one corner then the other. Helps also if you can pull up and away those side panel trim bits you currently have the mugs holding up. Just the one side works to get things moving.

AnthonyK: Have you checked the volume of the phone? Sometimes it needs to be turned up. Think is also depends on if you have DSP or not (‘not’ is easier).

Major Mojo

Post by Major Mojo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:44 pm

inkey$ wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:03 pm Major Mojo: man that sucks. Step 6 is the really difficult part. Feels counterintuitive to pull the edges of that rear bulkhead trim up (the rigid horizontal bit behind your mugs in the picture you posted), but it does go and you need to wedge something under it very quickly.

Just needs some force in one corner then the other. Helps also if you can pull up and away those side panel trim bits you currently have the mugs holding up. Just the one side works to get things moving.
Thanks Inkey. I sliced the crap out of a couple of knuckles last weekend but I am driving back to London from Ireland on Monday so will give it a go again this weekend...fingers crossed!

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:23 am

Major Mojo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:44 pm
inkey$ wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:03 pm Major Mojo: man that sucks. Step 6 is the really difficult part. Feels counterintuitive to pull the edges of that rear bulkhead trim up (the rigid horizontal bit behind your mugs in the picture you posted), but it does go and you need to wedge something under it very quickly.

Thanks Inkey. I sliced the crap out of a couple of knuckles last weekend but I am driving back to London from Ireland on Monday so will give it a go again this weekend...fingers crossed!
My hands only just recovered too :lol: Keep going and keep us posted.

BobbyBoucher

Post by BobbyBoucher » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:28 pm

Anyone in S Wales area want to show me how to fit this (lockdown permitting lol).