Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Symptoms of a faulty DISA flap?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Symptoms of a faulty DISA flap?

Post by Aebous » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:07 am

I didn't notice a difference after the DISA was replaced. Of course I was really tired so probably not paying attention.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:39 pm

Hey Shipkiller - no suprise - I found that one of the flexis after the airbox had not seated properly. Redid it correclty and the whistle vanished.

Teach me not to do things quickly in fading light (or at least put the floodlights on in the garage)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:22 pm

I think I'm off to buy this part tomorrow, or at least order it.

In the name of testing (because I think it will make some difference), I'll do an acceleration test in 3rd through the revs side by side with old vs new (swap during test)

Lets see how more filled in the torque becomes :)

Before fyi:
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Ooof, £114 for a new DISA flap thingy from BMW.

Picking it up on Wednesday along with my new brake vacuum pipe (£21), the old one had collapsed... so a few little jobs to do :)

Really looking forward to seeing how secure it is. The parts guy went "ahh (knowingly), one of those" when I told him I wanted a new DISA flap actuator, so clearly they get a few with issues!

Dave

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:33 pm

Just got my new one today.

Solid as a rock in every way my old one wasn't.

No give in the door in the open or closed positions when holding the crank arm in place, no lateral or longitudinal movement about the pin. I'll have to see what it is like after it's first month in place.

Will try do the before/after test this evening :)

Cheers

Dave

EdButler

Post by EdButler » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:30 pm

Bump!

Any developments on this Mr. Whippy??

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:56 am

I haven't undertaken any empirical testing, but purely on perception the engine feels less confused at part throttle openings. The solidness of instant output that is clear at higher throttle inputs seems to be more apparent now at smaller ones, quicker.
The rattle is totally gone now too, much quieter inside and out at idle and when on the move (was surprising how loud it was!)

If it's rattling I'd say it's due a swap, and it's easy to tell at idle if it's rattling by simply unplugging it. It can't be good to have it rattling around as much as it does inside there. Fatigue will finally catch up with components and do damage, and fatigue wear must be off the scale with it rattling around as much and as fast as it clearly was!

Dave

nadaclue

Post by nadaclue » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This rattling/clicking noise has been progressively getting worse and noisier over the past 2 weeks and has started to make me paranoid. Today I did an oil change followed by an Italian tune-up but it was still there. Seemed to be located closer to the intake manifold than the head, almost sounded like extremely loud and poorly timed injectors so I started searching for common injector issues on the M54 but couldn't find much. So I started going through the "problems" forum hear, and found this thread. The part that made me really suspicious it was the DISA was the fact that the noise went away at higher RPM's. I just figured at the time it was being drowned out by the increased engine noise.

I went out to the garage, started the Z4 and was greeted by the incessant "ticking". Unplugged the DISA and holy crap it went away!

So again, thank you everybody. Saved me a trip to the shop and I can rest in peace knowing is a relatively inexpensive item and not my head or injectors.

Now the question is, can I drive it with the DISA unplugged for the next couple of days until I get a new one?

For the record, 2003 Z4 w/ 42k miles.

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:47 pm

Can anyone post the part number for the replacement flap assembly?

I note on RealOEM.com that there are two entries for this item, one (part number 11617502275) ended 04/2004 and another still current (11617544805). Maybe a part redesign on the sly?
Andrew

Current: 2015 F33 435i Auto M Sport - Estoril Blue
Former: 2008 E88 125i Auto M Sport - Titanium Silver
Former: 2004 E85 3.0i SMG SE - Maldives Blue