Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Idle Engine Issue (Shutdown or Drops Hard)

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:17 am

As you have the N52, the first thing to check for would be oil contamination on the eccentric shaft sensor (if you search for that on here you will see plenty of helpful posts). Unplugging the MAF causes the ECU to run on a default map so it may disregard some other sensors also - which can certainly cause confusion!!

I would suspect either a problem with the eccentric shaft sensor or the valvetronic motor.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

JockinJD

Post by JockinJD » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm what the fix was should anyone stumble on this when suffereing from a similar issue.

Issue was: Test for air mass and manifold pressure sensor found pressure to have no signal to DME, so it required a new pressure sensor which now reports and the idle issues have gone.

Thanks for points that lead to the fix chaps.

It can be placed for sale and I feel good it's all working :D

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:52 pm

Thanks for updating and thats the first time I have ever heard of the MAP sensor failing so rare indeed. At least it very easy to get to and change :thumbsup:
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Naylz

Post by Naylz » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:40 pm

Resurrecting this post…so my 2.3i 2010 E89 decided to cutout when sat stationary in traffic, it starts again no bother. There are two codes 2D2A differential pressure sensor, intake manifold adaption and 2D06 air mass system. Upon reset the 2D06 clears and 2D2A remains, when left idling for a few minutes it just cuts out and 2D06 comes back.

I am planning to check the cleanliness of the throttle body and obviously check for any leaks, splits on my way to the body. I am also going to pull the MAP sensor, does anyone know if this is a cleanable sensor or not?

I know unplugging the MAF sensor means it won’t cut out but also doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the MAF sensor, I have tried and confirmed this.

I have an AUTOPHIX 7910, does anyone know if that can that test the MAP sensor?…ie what would I need to look for on the data stream??

I will also check the DISA and most likely give Vanos solenoids a clean too but don’t think they are the issue here.

Any tips or pointers will be very much appreciated 😎🥃

….ooo just remembered an issue I had on my 2.5i E85 where the wiring looms were loose where they plugged into that big black box thing at the back Righthand side of the engine bay…I will check that too

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:25 pm

JockinJD wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:19 pm Oh whoops good point, updated original post regarding.

Its the 2009 BMW e89 Sdrive 23i
Its in your original post bud
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather