Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

(Relatively) Low cost Big Brake Kit (BBK) for the non 35i E89s

How-To articles are in here.
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:45 pm

Are you going to try the fronts without the vibration blocks just to see if you can run without them...? Prob just me but they really spoil the looks of a superb caliper.

I’m rather vain don’t you know..... :roll: :hairdryer:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:47 pm

Vibration blocks ? Que?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:52 pm

Those square blocks at each end of the caliper, they’re held on with two Allen bolts. They counter act any vibration that may be caused. I have seen them run without them but wouldn’t be able to find it again... :roll:

Very easy to take off and back on.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:01 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:52 pm Those square blocks at each end of the caliper, they’re held on with two Allen bolts. They counter act any vibration that may be caused. I have seen them run without them but wouldn’t be able to find it again... :roll:

Ahhhhh...very interesting ..I didn’t realise / perceive that they were possibly removable,,,

I’ll ponder that before doing something...if they went to the trouble of doing that for those reasons I’d be reticent to do a mod without further research..thank you..

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:08 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:01 pm
john-e89 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:52 pm Those square blocks at each end of the caliper, they’re held on with two Allen bolts. They counter act any vibration that may be caused. I have seen them run without them but wouldn’t be able to find it again... :roll:

Ahhhhh...very interesting ..I didn’t realise / perceive that they were possibly removable,,,

I’ll ponder that before doing something...if they went to the trouble of doing that for those reasons I’d be reticent to do a mod without further research..thank you..
I can’t for the life of me remember where I read about them. I’m pretty sure they’re a kind of sonic vibration block, I know that’s noise but the two are related from what I can remember in this instance. It was an interesting article. If I find it I’ll ping you.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:47 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:08 pm

I can’t for the life of me remember where I read about them. I’m pretty sure they’re a kind of sonic vibration block, I know that’s noise but the two are related from what I can remember in this instance. It was an interesting article. If I find it I’ll ping you.
Always wondered about the shape of the calipers as I thought those parts ruined the look of them.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 am

Thank you...if you find it that would be good :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:50 am

Nictrix wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:47 pm

Always wondered about the shape of the calipers as I thought those parts ruined the look of them.
Yes it’s not a style I like but the fact it just bolts on , it’s cheap relatively and works very well overrode this issues..

I’ll have a look into this..

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:54 am

Pbondar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:50 am

Yes it’s not a style I like but the fact it just bolts on , it’s cheap relatively and works very well overrode this issues..

Simple test and see, try it, it won’t harm anything, all you’ll get is a vibration like warped discs. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:56 am

john-e89 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:54 am

Simple test and see, try it, it won’t harm anything, all you’ll get is a vibration like warped discs. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

I'll look at it when I get ready to change wheels/tyres this winter..

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:01 am

Pbondar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:56 am

If it doesn’t bother you then keep them on, they’re there for a reason but I was always intrigued to see how much difference they really make in everyday use as I’ve 100% seen them on a car without them. Good upgrade, might be cheap-ish but they’re a solid good caliper tried and tested.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:23 am

john-e89 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:01 am

If it doesn’t bother you then keep them on, they’re there for a reason but I was always intrigued to see how much difference they really make in everyday use as I’ve 100% seen them on a car without them. Good upgrade, might be cheap-ish but they’re a solid good caliper tried and tested.
I was a bit underwhelmed initially, but once the pads had bedded in they then really performed extremely well...

There is a slight almost grab as they bite but it does mean you get on to speed reduction sooner than later and its a very linear fade resistant effect.. although they are quirky with the 'knobs' on I've got used to them..most E89 brakes are less pretty than them anyway..

I spent quite a bit buying 2nd used rear 35is calipers / refurbishing them and new discs etc so the price was a 'bargain' I thought..

Its going to be a quiet winter so I'll see what I can find on the internet about those blocks!

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:35 am

Pbondar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:23 am

I was a bit underwhelmed initially, but once the pads had bedded in they then really performed extremely well...

There is a slight almost grab as they bite but it does mean you get on to speed reduction sooner than later and its a very linear fade resistant effect.. although they are quirky with the 'knobs' on I've got used to them..most E89 brakes are less pretty than them anyway..

I spent quite a bit buying 2nd used rear 35is calipers / refurbishing them and new discs etc so the price was a 'bargain' I thought..

Its going to be a quiet winter so I'll see what I can find on the internet about those blocks!
The M135i 4 pot calipers on my 35i are very very good, better than the stock 35i/s items, due to the increased pad area and pistons on each side so I imagine your 6 pots will be even better once really bedded in.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:45 am

john-e89 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:35 am
Pbondar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:23 am

The M135i 4 pot calipers on my 35i are very very good, better than the stock 35i/s items, due to the increased pad area and pistons on each side so I imagine your 6 pots will be even better once really bedded in.
Yes discussed it with Player1..I went down this route as I have my obession with 17" winter wheels / tyres and his mod only works on 18" + wheels I think..

With the extra confidence of all my handling / powertrain mods and the extra speed its now definitely moved from a nice to have to really required..interesting to note that even with the much bigger 35i calipers on the front you notice the difference! :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:52 pm

Reference the 'blocks' on the end of the BBK..

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213914