Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Bluetooth adaptor for CD Changer install ...where?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Frag

Post by Frag » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Hi guys,

I heard that few of you installed this bluetooth adaptor that connect in the CD changer plug.
bt.jpg
bt.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 4475 times

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... ag=z4fo-21

I was not able to figure out exactly where that connector is. Anyone would have had the good idea of taking pictures of where I should find it?

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:45 pm

The connections are accessed by lifting the bulkhead carpet in the boot. There's a hole where the cd changer fits. Plugs straight in. Great piece of kit :thumbsup: . Take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=121551
Zedless :(

Wookster78

Post by Wookster78 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:58 pm

There is also another version of this module but currently out of stock that has a mic with it that allows you to make and receive calls, if you have the connections and are going to install might be worth waiting for this one. Link below to it on eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254073161800
2004 E85 3.0i, LCI xenons, red sports interior, backbox delete, twin pipe conversion, diff ratio upgrade, coilovers, clear rear lights, cup holders, Sapphire black
2014 F31 M Performance Pack, Avin headunit, LED headlights

Mau

Post by Mau » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:44 am

^There are actually four versions of the module, suitable for our E85/86s. Unfortunately, it seems that least some varieties are currently out of stock. Anyway, the four versions are:

- the above connecting to the CD-changer wiring behind the vertical boot carpet;
- the above + mic for taking calls;
- the same module, with a wiring harness to attach directly to your headunit: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0773Q ... UTF8&psc=1; and
- the one with wiring harness connecting directly to your headunit + mic for taking calls. Apparently also sold out currently.

I actually have both of the ones connecting directly to the headunit (with mic for my roadster that does not have an OEM microphone, without mic for my coupe that does have the OEM microphone). Reason for ordering these instead of the ones attaching to the CD wiring is that I considered the installation (just pulling out center vents and the radio) more easy that for the ones connected in the boot. Admittedly, there is some fiddling involved in ditching the additional wiring harness in the available space behind the headunit.

Furthermore, rumor has it that if you have DSP, the one in the boot needs a separate DSP converter, roughly doubling costs.

Last of all, 2,5 meters of microphone cable is not that much if it has to be routed from the boot to the steering wheel column or the light unit above your rear view mirror.

Just took out the one without mic from the roadster and replaced that by the one with mic. Routed the microphone to the top steering wheel column, which I replaced with one having the cutout for the OEM microphone. Some pictures:

The one with wiring harness, but without mic:

Bluemusic mic fit into steering wheel column with OEM mic cutout:

Image More on the '03 roadster and '08 coupe:click me.

Wookster78

Post by Wookster78 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:49 am

Interesting, thanks for that update, can you confirm if you are able to still use your multifunction steering wheel controls to adjust the volume and skip tracks with the one with the wiring harness direct to the back of the head unit? Do you loose any functionality with the head unit or is all working fine I.e. radio, sat nav, cd changer etc?

Also noticed you have changed your volume buttons on the head unit are those from a 2008 onwards X3 and where did you get them from?

Thanks
2004 E85 3.0i, LCI xenons, red sports interior, backbox delete, twin pipe conversion, diff ratio upgrade, coilovers, clear rear lights, cup holders, Sapphire black

Mau

Post by Mau » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:40 am

Functionality of the module with wiring harness is 100% alike the functionality of the module mounted in the boot. Meaning, MFSW works fine for skipping tracks and changing volume, sat. nav continues to work (if you reattach the C-plug properly :wink: ), etc. However, the telephone functionality (taking calls, etc.) will not be working for taking calls via the module , as the module is only wired into the CD changer connections. You thus simply have to do that on your phone (but if you do not have OEM telephone functionality, that will not be different from your current situation and - other than now - you will be able to continue any call you started or accepted on your phone handsfree, without seeking your headset, etc.)

Furthermore, as already mentioned above, rumor has it that in terms of DSP compatibility, the one directly behind the headunit is better than the one in the boot (if your German allows you, you could do some background reading on this on the German forum).

As for the CD changer: you will loose that functionality for 100%, as the module pretends to be the CD changer. That is exactly the same for all four varieties if this module. These modules use the CD-changer connections (whether at the headunit, or in the boot), not the AUX connections as some cheaper alternatives (with poorer sound quality) do.

This module really has an extreme rich sound quality compared to AUX alternatives and comes at a fraction of the costs of alternatives with more functionality (such as also displaying tracks in your screen). IMHO thus more than worth giving up CD-changer functionality (I have to encounter the first CD not being available via Spotify and the likes. Moreover, this way you can also listen to whatever is available on your phone, such as internet radio, podcasts, etc.)

I have no financial interest in saying so, I am just massively impressed by the value-to-money these modules offer.

As for the buttons; yes, these are changed to X3 buttons, sourced from the local dealership. By the way, if that would have been the only changes made to the interior, my wife would have been a whole lot happier (You are looking at a very early '03 model. By now roughly 60% of the interior has been changed against OEM FL parts, and there is more to follow :-))

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:33 pm

Dumb question time: I get that Mau said he changed the buttons from an X3, but am I wrong in assuming that the complete 2005>11 X3 head unit is exactly the same? Apart from (perhaps) colours, are they interchangeable?
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Mau

Post by Mau » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:30 pm

I would expect them to be. However, never tested. I changed the head unit to that of an '08 E86 (black facia instead of grey) and changed the buttons to X3 buttons I have been using since purchasing my first Z4 in 2009. :wink:

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:35 pm

I spoke to the eBay guy and he said they should be here in a week. Re the length of the cable, any extension would be OK. F'rinstance, this one is only £3.79 : https://ebay.us/9KbX63

Wookster78

Post by Wookster78 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Which eBay guy is that for the one that plugs in the boot with the mic or for one that plugs into the head unit with a mic as could only find that one on amazon?

Mau

Post by Mau » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:18 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:35 pm ... Re the length of the cable, any extension would be OK. ...
Sure, but why bother paying more, for more work, with a potentially poorer result? Routing a cable from the boot to the front is more work (you will likely end up either at the top of the steering wheel column (as per my pictures above), somewhere on the A-pillar, or near the rear view mirror). Also, extending audio cables never improves the quality of the signal ...

Wookster78

Post by Wookster78 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:56 pm

This one on eBay looks similar and good price, anyone had experience with this model, says all functionality of the stereo is there?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303576130512

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:36 pm

Mau wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:18 pm
Z4C_er wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:35 pm ... Re the length of the cable, any extension would be OK. ...
Sure, but why bother paying more, for more work, with a potentially poorer result? Routing a cable from the boot to the front is more work (you will likely end up either at the top of the steering wheel column (as per my pictures above), somewhere on the A-pillar, or near the rear view mirror). Also, extending audio cables never improves the quality of the signal ...
It's just the mic cable...

I will be removing my console anyway, so the cable routing for the mic may not be too much of an issue. The BT module still plugs into the CD changer plug.

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:36 pm

Wookster78 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:50 pm Which eBay guy is that for the one that plugs in the boot with the mic or for one that plugs into the head unit with a mic as could only find that one on amazon?
Yes, the one for the boot which connects to the CD changer harness.

Frag

Post by Frag » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:12 pm

Hi guys. I was able to remove the necessary carpet in the boot (the horizontal one right behind the CD changer. There is 2 plugs on that adaptor as shown in the initial post. I was able to find the connector for the smallest one. But I was not able to figure out where to plug the big connector. I did not find anything that was looking like it.

The short step by step sheet that was provided with the adaptor says that it should connect directly at the cd changer. But it seems the changer has a wire coming out (no plug). But those doc are generic for many kind of BMW so I guess I could not take that doc for really precise.

Question: Can I only connect the small one? Maybe the big one is for another type of car. Or both need to be plugged?

I have a 2007 M Roadster wit the Navigation package. Any hint?