Battery Problems

mcbutler
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm
Location: Plymouth

Battery Problems

Post by mcbutler » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm

My nextbase 522 GW dashcam did this to my brand new battery in about 72 hours.
The camera needed a software update and the movement sensor was turning it on as soon as it turned itself off!!

Check your camera has the latest software, failing that disable the parking function and turn it off whenever you leave the car in the garage or other safe place.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Silverstar
Member
Member
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 am
Location: Costa Del Sol

Battery Problems

Post by Silverstar » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 pm

mcbutler wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm
My nextbase 522 GW dashcam did this to my brand new battery in about 72 hours.
The camera needed a software update and the movement sensor was turning it on as soon as it turned itself off!!

Check your camera has the latest software, failing that disable the parking function and turn it off whenever you leave the car in the garage or other safe place.
Mine is wired up via a battery saver which I set to switch off power to the camera if the car battery gets to 12V, which it did but the battery has continued draining. Yesterday it was at 11.67V and today it read 11.6V and the camera has been completely disconnected since yesterday.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

mcbutler
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm
Location: Plymouth

Battery Problems

Post by mcbutler » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:10 am

Silverstar wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 pm
mcbutler wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm
My nextbase 522 GW dashcam did this to my brand new battery in about 72 hours.
The camera needed a software update and the movement sensor was turning it on as soon as it turned itself off!!

Check your camera has the latest software, failing that disable the parking function and turn it off whenever you leave the car in the garage or other safe place.
Mine is wired up via a battery saver which I set to switch off power to the camera if the car battery gets to 12V, which it did but the battery has continued draining. Yesterday it was at 11.67V and today it read 11.6V and the camera has been completely disconnected since yesterday.
The Nextbase cameras have the drain protect circuit integrated, not sure if its in the cable or camera but either way before the software update it was a problem, afterwards it was fixed!
What make/model camera do you have and do you have that manufacturers hard wire kit?
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm
Location: Plymouth

Battery Problems

Post by mcbutler » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 am

mcbutler wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:10 am
Silverstar wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 pm
mcbutler wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm
My nextbase 522 GW dashcam did this to my brand new battery in about 72 hours.
The camera needed a software update and the movement sensor was turning it on as soon as it turned itself off!!

Check your camera has the latest software, failing that disable the parking function and turn it off whenever you leave the car in the garage or other safe place.
Mine is wired up via a battery saver which I set to switch off power to the camera if the car battery gets to 12V, which it did but the battery has continued draining. Yesterday it was at 11.67V and today it read 11.6V and the camera has been completely disconnected since yesterday.
The Nextbase cameras have the drain protect circuit integrated, not sure if its in the cable or camera but either way before the software update it was a problem, afterwards it was fixed!
What make/model camera do you have and do you have that manufacturers hard wire kit?
When you say completely disconnected do you mean at the fuse or you just pulled the plug on the camera?
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Silverstar
Member
Member
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 am
Location: Costa Del Sol

Battery Problems

Post by Silverstar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22 am

mcbutler wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 am
mcbutler wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:10 am
Silverstar wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 pm


Mine is wired up via a battery saver which I set to switch off power to the camera if the car battery gets to 12V, which it did but the battery has continued draining. Yesterday it was at 11.67V and today it read 11.6V and the camera has been completely disconnected since yesterday.
The Nextbase cameras have the drain protect circuit integrated, not sure if its in the cable or camera but either way before the software update it was a problem, afterwards it was fixed!
What make/model camera do you have and do you have that manufacturers hard wire kit?
When you say completely disconnected do you mean at the fuse or you just pulled the plug on the camera?
I have a Viofo A119 connected via their hardwire kit which has a battery saver built in and I switched the saver to switch off power to the camera at 12V (it's selectable between 11.8V and 12.2V) I know it works because after two or three days the camera was off. However just to be sure yesterday I disconnected the camera by unplugging it.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Silverstar
Member
Member
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 am
Location: Costa Del Sol

Battery Problems

Post by Silverstar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 am

Silverstar wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22 am
mcbutler wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 am
mcbutler wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:10 am

The Nextbase cameras have the drain protect circuit integrated, not sure if its in the cable or camera but either way before the software update it was a problem, afterwards it was fixed!
What make/model camera do you have and do you have that manufacturers hard wire kit?
When you say completely disconnected do you mean at the fuse or you just pulled the plug on the camera?
I have a Viofo A119 connected via their hardwire kit which has a battery saver built in and I switched the saver to switch off power to the camera at 12V (it's selectable between 11.8V and 12.2V) I know it works because after two or three days with the car being parked up the camera was off. However just to be sure yesterday I disconnected the camera by unplugging it.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 10566
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: In a barn

Battery Problems

Post by Smartbear » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am

Silverstar wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 am
Silverstar wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22 am
mcbutler wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 am
I have a Viofo A119 connected via their hardwire kit which has a battery saver built in and I switched the saver to switch off power to the camera at 12V (it's selectable between 11.8V and 12.2V) I know it works because after two or three days with the car being parked up the camera was off. However just to be sure yesterday I disconnected the camera by unplugging it.
That could still lead to a parasitic battery drain if the transformer is before the plug in the circuit :?
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Post Reply