Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sports Mode ON at startup Mod (2024 update)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
IAmOrion

Sports Mode ON at startup Mod (2024 update)

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:39 am

2024 Update

NOW ALL SOLD! MANY THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO REVIVED THIS THREAD AND NEW INTEREST. THANKS AGAIN TO ALL THOSE WHO SUPPORTED AND PURCHASED BEFORE!

The brief revival of this post has sparked some new PMs - so to update anyone else reading this thread:

I currently have 8 sets of plugs left meaning I can make 8 of these to sell if anyone is interested.

A few have enquired requesting one (some gone awol ha) - but until payment is received & confirmed then they're still available.

Below members have paid, so there are currently 0 still up for grabs. I will update this post accordingly as payments are received :thumbsup:

1 - e85van :thumbsup: - POSTED, Tracking sent via PM
2 - BumpyZ4 :thumbsup: - POSTED, Tracking sent via PM
3 - Mojito :thumbsup: - POSTED, Tracking sent via PM
4 - Scott Naylor :thumbsup: - POSTED, Tracking sent via PM
5 - Sold on FB
6 - Sold on FB
7 - Sold on FB
8 - Sold on FB

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! Another random project I've now completed...

Fed up of turning on Sport Mode every time?? Then this mod is for you 8)

The “marmite/pointless” mod is now finished - PCBs fabricated and delivered (I’ve already made one to photo and test)

The bare PCB is barely bigger than a £0.50 pence piece. Completely plug and play, 5mins (if that) to install 😁

Functions:

a) On at startup -> as it implies, this turns the sports button on with the ignition/engine. Button still operates as normal

b) Forced On -> automatically turns on sports mode with ignition/engine. Button is technically useless - if you turn sports mode off it will instantly turn back on

c) Remember state -> This mode remembers the last state of the button. If sports mode was on when you switch off the car, it will automatically turn it back on next time you turn on ignition/start the car. If sports mode was off when turning off the car, it will remain off next time you start the car.

The options above are user selectable via a slide switch. You can change it to best suit your needs or preference.
See my demo video below for more info

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Installation Video:

Demo Video:

Personally I think (a) or (b) will be the most commonly used options. I don’t see much point in (c) myself however a few people asked if it could be possible

Will make an installation and demo video at the weekend 👍

Price: £55 delivered in the UK
£50 collected from Cambridge.
International postage would need to be calculated per request.

Note:

This is a "marmite" mod - to some, it's awesome (20+ people asked me to look into this), but for the majority it's lazy and pointless (apparently). However, there clearly is some demand for it. Especially useful for Track Z4s

Please lets not get caught up in "what's the point" discussions, I'm already well aware 85% think it's pointless, but the 15% that asked me about it and want is - here it is :)

Early demo video: (Proto-type)

Finished PCB design, easy and quick install - plug and play
IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0094.jpeg (250.81 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
IMG_0095.jpeg
IMG_0095.jpeg (181.82 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
IMG_0096.jpeg
IMG_0096.jpeg (175.13 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
Last edited by IAmOrion on Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:17 am, edited 18 times in total.
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Sports Mode ON at startup Mod

Post by markplant » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:58 am

I like you got the proper connecters to make it plug n play another top project :thumbsup:
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:07 am

markplant wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:58 am I like you got the proper connecters to make it plug n play another top project :thumbsup:

It's not the EXACT same connector since 1) You can ONLY buy as a BMW Dealer for use at BMW and 2) Even with an "insider contact" the minimum order is like £2000 worth of connectors :o

Fortunately I found something that's the closest "publicly purchasable" connectors and they work great :)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:01 pm

Bloody awesome!! Good on you. :thumbsup: great to see a new product. :D
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi OP, never really thought about this before, but it is a really good idea. I very rarely drive without the sport button on so I will have a little think (look at the bank balance). It looks really well thought out and executed. :thumbsup:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:20 pm

Vanne wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:01 pm Bloody awesome!! Good on you. :thumbsup: great to see a new product. :D
AveZ4coop wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:11 pm Hi OP, never really thought about this before, but it is a really good idea. I very rarely drive without the sport button on so I will have a little think (look at the bank balance). It looks really well thought out and executed. :thumbsup:
Thank you both :)

I certainly tried to cover all usage desires in one package as well as making it plug and play.
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:30 pm

Excellent work! I wouldn't know where to start with something like that.
Couple of questions if I may?
1. I assume it's as simple as pull the switch out, plug in, drop the unit through the hole and refit the switch? If so, is there any requirement to protect the PCB in case it contacts metal?
2. Are the a,b,c options something you preset before sale?

Thanks
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:40 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:30 pm Excellent work! I wouldn't know where to start with something like that.
1. I assume it's as simple as pull the switch out, plug in, drop the unit through the hole and refit the switch? If so, is there any requirement to protect the PCB in case it contacts metal?

Thanks
1) I will be making an install video at the weekend ... but essentially, it's easiest to simply pull up the gear surround piece that's just clipped in place, move the foam piece out the way, and pull the plug out downwards (Or push the button up and out and remove the plug that way). But the PCB won't fit through the hole I don't think (I've not tried, I was going to do the install what I thought would be easiest - eg removing gear surround)

The PCB I send out will be protected in a heat-shrunk sleeve, so it will be protected already. I just didn't photograph it like that when showing off the PCB - I will add new pics of the mod in it's "shipped to buyer/completed" state when I make the vid :)
(Hope that makes sense)

2) A simple little slide switch allows you to set its modes. Ideally you would choose before fitting, but even if you wanted to function differently later, it'd only take you a few mins to get to it and change switch position :thumbsup:
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:48 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:40 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:30 pm Excellent work! I wouldn't know where to start with something like that.

Thanks
1) I will be making an install video at the weekend ... but essentially, it's easiest to simply pull up the gear surround piece that's just clipped in place, move the foam piece out the way, and pull the plug out downwards (Or push the button up and out and remove the plug that way). But the PCB won't fit through the hole I don't think (I've not tried, I was going to do the install what I thought would be easiest - eg removing gear surround)

The PCB I send out will be protected in a heat-shrunk sleeve, so it will be protected already. I just didn't photograph it like that when showing off the PCB - I will add new pics of the mod in it's "shipped to buyer/completed" state when I make the vid :)
(Hope that makes sense)

2) A simple little slide switch allows you to set its modes. Ideally you would choose before fitting, but even if you wanted to function differently later, it'd only take you a few mins to get to it and change switch position :thumbsup:
You could always add another switch to let you alter modes after starting, oh hold on a minute! :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:54 pm

Smartbear wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:48 pm You could always add another switch to let you alter modes after starting, oh hold on a minute! :P
Rob
Anyone could wire the switch to a larger switch that could be dash mounted if they really really wanted to lol

Although I designed it to be a "set it and forget it" type mod :rofl:
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:03 pm

Very impressive :thumbsup: . I'm always forgetting to switch it on so I think option 'a' on at startup would be my choice. Will have a think about it & look forward to seeing your installation video.
Zedless :(

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:30 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:40 pm

Thanks

(Hope that makes sense)

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:34 pm

Nice work sir! Not for me personally as it doesn't bother me much, but I can certainly see a desire from others and it looks a very neat solution.

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:28 pm

I have noticed that my 2007 E86 if driven ( sports on ) parked for less than 15 minutes, the next time you start it sport mode is still on. Longer than that and it defaults back to off. I suspect that this is linked to the sytem shutdown timing such as some features will work for so many minutes after turning the ignition off.
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pm

Good job, buddy!

Personally I rarely wanted the throttle map that came with the engagement of Sport mode, but...i think I only drove my 3.0i about three times with the traction control enabled. Every drive started with a long 'press and hold' of the DSC button to get rid of the electronic nanny. Perhaps a future project for you? :D
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>