Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Buying Engagement ring (diamonds) advice

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
saj77

Post by saj77 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:22 pm

Hi all

Just after any advice or recommendations really.

I’ve been looking to buy a diamond engagement ring and saw that the company 77 Diamonds, popped up regularly when doing searches for getting the best value for money.

They get good reviews and are a reputable seller so was pretty much decided on going with them - got a consultation booked next month to view some rings.

However today I came across a website called Rare Carat - which in simple terms is like a search engine for diamonds available.

Out of curiosity I ran a search on the diamond I’ve ‘picked’ with 77 Diamonds, using the GIA number and it found the same diamond elsewhere for 25% less!!

Obviously (a bit like a lot of private plate sellers) no one holds diamonds as stock so you will have the same diamonds listed on numerous sites - they buy them from the dealer once they have a buyer lined up.

So after being confident going with 77 Diamonds, I’m now in doubt! Not sure they’ll give me 25% discount to price match - I’ll be asking though!

Anyone have any experience with 77 Diamonds?

Anyone used Rare Carat website and bought from someone as a result of their search?

Any other recommendations to get the best value ring/diamond?

I know people say diamonds are a con and I understand that point of view but I still need one - just want to get the best quality for my money.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Saj
Last edited by saj77 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
08 3.0 SI Roadster - Space Grey / Dream red, Eibachs & B4s, Z4M alignment

Mavster

Buying Engagement ring advice

Post by Mavster » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:27 pm

Stop being so tight :D :poke:
E89 35iS

greg81

Post by greg81 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Your partner's a very lucky person :D

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:15 pm

Why not a nice watch.... a Cartier Tank or something?

It’s something different and doesn’t show that she belongs to someone.... ?
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:55 pm

Can't believe people buy engagement rings on line. :o

Book two tickets for a weekend in Amsterdam and take your fiance and your wallet with you. :thumbsup:

scootr

Post by scootr » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:09 pm

Get her a Z4 she'll never forget :D
Tell her you were going to buy her a cheesy ring her friends could admire but, you thought it better to buy her something SHE would enjoy :rofl:
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

IRD

Post by IRD » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:13 pm

I am sure you will be, but be ultra careful. There are lots of scams out there. Profits on new diamonds are very big so bargain hard. Good luck with the search for the lucky lady. :D

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:17 pm

1000rr wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:15 pm Why not a nice watch.... a Cartier Tank or something?

It’s something different and doesn’t show that she belongs to someone.... ?
That must have sounded better in your head or looked better written down than it would be in real life.
There may not be another ring needed if you got your fiance a watch instead of a ring that she was expecting.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:19 pm

We went to the local Ratners shop and I bought Mrs FB her ring there. I insisted on her going for the most expensive ring in the shop, but she chose a mid range jobbie instead :wink:

Just pop down to the local high street and do some window shopping :P
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:35 pm

I went into a local ring shop with the missus and let her pick what she wanted (obviously within budget). Done the job and they gave us a decent discount which is always nice.

We visited the usual big name jewellers and gave up with them. They just wanted the cash without giving the service. The local independent jeweller we went with were very good, so I was happy to use them.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:03 pm

Another option is to visit an actual jeweller who makes the rings.
You can pick the exact stone or stones that will be in the ring and also the design.
This way you can stick to a budget and also get something that nobody else has.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:09 pm

I really wouldn't want to buy online!

I took the future Mrs Tidy to a few jewellers and we ended up back at the 1st one, which was an independent firm with just the one shop where they made them on-site. So again, a unique design.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Mavster

Post by Mavster » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:21 pm

Tiffany here, think it was lost on Mrs M however. Still,..enjoyed getting pissed on the Champagne they kept topping up while she was trying on rings lol. :roll:
E89 35iS

saj77

Post by saj77 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks for all your advice and input.

So no one has used either company :(

A few of you mention not buying online - Just to be clear I would NOT buy a ring online either. I have an appointment to view the rings/diamonds next month.

The online aspect relates really to the ‘diamond search engine’ I found and the surprising results that it gave me!

Think I’ll stick with my original plan of 77 Diamonds and see how I get on.

Thanks again :thumbsup:
08 3.0 SI Roadster - Space Grey / Dream red, Eibachs & B4s, Z4M alignment

stewey999

Post by stewey999 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:11 am

I got mine made from the jewellery quarter in Birmingham. I'll never get anything of good quality anywhere else. There are over 100 independent jewellers, with around half of these making their own jewellery on site. The quality and service I have had had from one particular jeweller in particular meant I've since been back several times over the years. As there are so many, they have to compete with each other price wise. I ended up getting a handmade titanium ring with marquise diamond at around 30% less than anywhere else. You obviously get the GIA certificate for the diamond and a valuation for insurance.

I noticed you are in the North East. If you have something similar within driving distance this is definitely the best way to go. Handmade, supporting small business and cheaper - whats not to like?
Imola red E86 Z4M. Genuine CSL's, eventuri intake, supersprint race exhaust, zhp.
E86 3.0si Phoenix Yellow. 19" Veeman VFS23's - Sold
996 turbo x50 - Sold
Noble GTO3R - Sold