Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

adaptive suspension busted

marioz4

Post by marioz4 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 pm

GDeth wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:33 pm Any update on this?

I just found out today that my front struts are bad (leaking) and checking out the bmw adaptive m struts - about $720 each. As far as I can see, there are no non-bmw struts available. I am seriously considering going the standard strut route (although when I contacted Bilstein, they said they do not recommend it as they have not tested it and it is not supported).
i changed to standard and all ok. I got Sachs for all 4 of them + 4 new springs all for 1400 ( in UK)

Epinephrine

Post by Epinephrine » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 pm

What did you do about the alarm light?

marioz4

Post by marioz4 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:57 am

Epinephrine wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 pm What did you do about the alarm light?

guy did recording so that error dos not show, now no warning light that adaptive suspension is not working. All good except that with new suspension i have front of the car sitting higher than what it should, so investigating this...

keving1

Post by keving1 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:06 am

marioz4 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:57 am
Epinephrine wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 pm What did you do about the alarm light?

guy did recording so that error dos not show, now no warning light that adaptive suspension is not working. All good except that with new suspension i have front of the car sitting higher than what it should, so investigating this...
Have you fitted standard springs as the M Sport which are fitted with the adaptive suspension are 10mm lower?

If you have fitted M Sport springs then it could be settlement and bedding in, otherwise have they been fitted correctly?

marioz4

Post by marioz4 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:43 am

keving1 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:06 am
marioz4 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:57 am

Have you fitted standard springs as the M Sport which are fitted with the adaptive suspension are 10mm lower?

If you have fitted M Sport springs then it could be settlement and bedding in, otherwise have they been fitted correctly?

Its a long story, but they fitted M sprig rear and standard at front... so took few weeks to realize that garage did mistake, so i got M springs ( and yes u r correct they r 10mm lower) and had them installed yesterday in another garage, to my horror car sit again to high, it needs to be 621mm and driver side front is 631 and passenger side 635. I have no clue have they been fitted correct, garage did the work...i read somewhere that lower arms should not be tightened while car in in air...

I also had bit of problem with the rear, M spring installed, driver side sit at 600mm - and it needs to be at 609 and passenger side rear sit at 610 - i am happy with 610 as i know this 1mm dos not chnage anything... so yesterday garage inserted 10mm spring pad rear driver side ( it had 5mm pad) so this should put the car at 605mm, will measure latter on today, i am so focused at front being to high at the moment.

Orlandovjc1

Post by Orlandovjc1 » Mon May 22, 2023 11:58 pm

I have a 2011 z4 30i with adaptive M chassis... seems as though some are saying that you can get away with regular shocks (but that you have to purge the code)... is that correct and if so what is the trade off if I have adaptive in the back (they're good) but replacing the front with regular (regulars are going for $298, adaptive $677)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue May 23, 2023 10:24 am

Orlandovjc1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:58 pm I have a 2011 z4 30i with adaptive M chassis... seems as though some are saying that you can get away with regular shocks (but that you have to purge the code)... is that correct and if so what is the trade off if I have adaptive in the back (they're good) but replacing the front with regular (regulars are going for $298, adaptive $677)
If you are going to replace them you need to do the full set..better of with Bilstein B8s all round!
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Orlandovjc1

Post by Orlandovjc1 » Tue May 23, 2023 1:17 pm

I looked at bilstein b8s but they (bilstein site) says they aren't compatible with my z4 because it was before 9/10 not after 9/10). Thanks... gonna just go with adaptive and pay the extra. Thanks.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue May 23, 2023 1:37 pm

That’s cause it’s not like for like replacement

You are replacing adaptive with non adaptive and need to remove / code out the adaptive ECU system
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed May 24, 2023 8:07 am

marioz4 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:38 pm ***UPDATE: Changed all springs + shocks with standard Sachs suspension, now car sit 10mm higher than with my M suspension, ride is much better even if i have 19" and run flat. M active suspension + 19' + run flat is simply to hard ride, now happy with my "new car" standard suspension
So, broken adaptive suspension + 19" wheels + run flats = too hard.
And unbroken adaptive suspension + 19" wheels + run flats + 10mm = OK.

Quite where does the improvement lie, I wonder?
Vidi, vici, veni