Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Minor Audio Upgrade (updated 12/7/2020)

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Colin_E

Post by Colin_E » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:31 pm

LOL my assumption that it had a moisture barrier job to do came from an earlier post on this thread :D
Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:34 pm It is...just gone issue left which I forgot to mention..the Eton door mounted speakers’ magnet is too large to sit in the plastic backing shield that prevents water ingress from the door to the back of the speaker.
It's probably time I got one of the panels off and took a look for myself. Z4C_ers suggestion of a homemade weathershield pocket is something I'll explore further. I guess the key issue here is making sure it doesn't create a source of resonance.

BTW the Z3 never had water sloshing around in the doors, but there were signs of minor corrosion that looked to have resulted from moisture. Strange really as the window seals looked fine and the car was garaged overnight anyway.

@PBondar did you consider the Audison K4M as an alternative to the Eton? It also claims to be a plug & play solution and I suspect from looking at photos it might have a more tapered backside(!) On the other hand its a bit more expensive and I can't find anything online that reviews or compares them against each other

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:31 pm

Colin_E wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:31 pm LOL my assumption that it had a moisture barrier job to do came from an earlier post on this thread :D
Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:34 pm It is...just gone issue left which I forgot to mention..the Eton door mounted speakers’ magnet is too large to sit in the plastic backing shield that prevents water ingress from the door to the back of the speaker.
It's probably time I got one of the panels off and took a look for myself. Z4C_ers suggestion of a homemade weathershield pocket is something I'll explore further. I guess the key issue here is making sure it doesn't create a source of resonance.

BTW the Z3 never had water sloshing around in the doors, but there were signs of minor corrosion that looked to have resulted from moisture. Strange really as the window seals looked fine and the car was garaged overnight anyway.

@PBondar did you consider the Audison K4M as an alternative to the Eton? It also claims to be a plug & play solution and I suspect from looking at photos it might have a more tapered backside(!) On the other hand its a bit more expensive and I can't find anything online that reviews or compares them against each other
I stumbled across the Eton's first..they had both the co-axial and seperate tweeter 100mm units and they looked like serious BMW replacement players..the magnet issue of course I didn't realise till I popped off the door cards..a BIG magnet is always a healthy sign!

The E89 is so many ways is just enough different to be a pain in so many areas as its similar but not quite an E90 3 Series

Maybe the Audison is slimmer?

I have used Audison for the sub woofers as they had an extended frequency response but in the end only used a part of that when I set up the Match 7 DSP stuff which took about 3 seperate go's to get fully tweaked!