Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Android iDrive Screen Group Buy - NOW CLOSED

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
gadgetJunky72

E89 Android iDrive Screem Group Buy

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi Dave,

Is it the camera or the android unit that puts the guide lines on the reversing camera? Have you had a chance to set yours up yet? I'd like to know if the guide lines move.

Cheers
Pav

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:26 pm

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:39 pm Hi Dave,

Is it the camera or the android unit that puts the guide lines on the reversing camera? Have you had a chance to set yours up yet? I'd like to know if the guide lines move.

Cheers
Pav
Right, somehow, and I'm not sure what I did, but I activated the guide lines last weekend even though I don't have the camera installed yet (this weekends video :thumbsup: ). Yes they turn with the wheel movement and if you already have parking sensors these would display on the same screen. It cuts in instantly and mutes any audio you have going at the time. I'd say that the video picture quality will be down to how good the camera is, so we'll see how good mine is on Sunday :D
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 pm

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:39 pm Hi Dave,

Cheers
Pav
I would think that unless the camera was specifically for the Z4 the lines that show up could be useless if they moved when turning the wheel.
The camera wouldnt know what sort of turning circle the Z had to be able to give accurate lines.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

spiicytuna

Post by spiicytuna » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:43 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:49 pm
Camera-wise all it'll do is feed a video signal to the screen triggered by your reversing lights.
Just to make mine even more complicated I'm adding in parking sensors which will give an indication through the cameras video signal (I don't have OEM sensors)
What parking sensors are you using OEM? Aftermarket? Going to post when you do this... I am very interested in doing this as well.

spiicytuna

Post by spiicytuna » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:49 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 pm I would think that unless the camera was specifically for the Z4 the lines that show up could be useless if they moved when turning the wheel.
The camera wouldnt know what sort of turning circle the Z had to be able to give accurate lines.
Do you mean in the sense when the lines turn and show that at full lock when reversing you will hit the red car when in reality the Z has a tighter radius and would not hit?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:57 pm

I will be fitting aftermarket sensors that look OEM. I could have fitted OEM ones but it wasn't worth the price and hassle.
I'll show everything in the video.
And yes its definitely the headunit that has the canbus signal to tell it the wheel position
Dave

spiicytuna

Post by spiicytuna » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:59 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:57 pm And yes its definitely the headunit that has the canbus signal to tell it the wheel position
Thank makes this even more worth it! I hate on my e39 m5 how the lines (aftermarket rear cam) are static and useless for just about anything to the point I think I would be better off w/o them.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:10 am

spiicytuna wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:59 pm Thank makes this even more worth it! I hate on my e39 m5 how the lines (aftermarket rear cam) are static and useless for just about anything to the point I think I would be better off w/o them.
Everytime I've backed into my drive this week they have come on (obviously without a picture) We have them on our Ford Kuga (Escape)(wifes car) and I love it for lining it up in a parking space perfectly :driving:
Last edited by AnubisZed on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:04 am

spiicytuna wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:49 pm
Nictrix wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 pm I would think that unless the camera was specifically for the Z4 the lines that show up could be useless if they moved when turning the wheel.
Do you mean in the sense when the lines turn and show that at full lock when reversing you will hit the red car when in reality the Z has a tighter radius and would not hit?
Yes, or vice versa. If the camera or software didn't know what length and turning capabilities of the car how could it calculate where to put the lines.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:45 am

OK, just a quick one on the reversing camera and parking sensors.

Both fitted on Saturday, it was a long day and I learnt a lot on the way.
1) The aftermarket sensors must be deeper than OEM ones, so you either have to place them 2 inches to the outer of the OEM position or cut some metal from the crash can (I'd recommend just moving them outwards) but they do look OEM and the colour match (considering it only said "Grey") was spot-on!
2) The reversing lights is not powerful enough to run the camera properly so requires a relay fitting, this I'll now be doing next weekend.
3) No matter what the advert says the number plate lamp camera probably won't fit properly the hole (camera is slightly too small but does hold with a slight packing) But then you don't have to have a number plate lamp camera, there are number plate surrounds and individual cameras available as they all do the same job.

But on the whole I'm very happy with the end result, and when the camera picture does show up (the power issue) then it's a good picture along with the distances for the sensors on the screen.
Photos and video to come once I've finished the job, but a quick screen capture of the camera working. You'll notice my wheelie-bin and the indication of it's position.
Attachments
RevCam.jpg
RevCam.jpg (145.05 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
Dave

spiicytuna

Post by spiicytuna » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:17 am

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:45 am But on the whole I'm very happy with the end result, and when the camera picture does show up (the power issue) then it's a good picture along with the distances for the sensors on the screen.
Photos and video to come once I've finished the job, but a quick screen capture of the camera working. You'll notice my wheelie-bin and the indication of it's position.
Questions:
1. Did you have the standard radio or nav before? I think the standard, but seeing the BMW backup screen made me question that thought.
2. The distance is only overlayed on the screen? No way to use the BMW green/yellow/red (right third of the screen)?
3. Does it have the beeping prompts? Through the car speakers? Somewhere else?
4. Are you gonna do another fancy how-to video?? :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 am

spiicytuna wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:17 am
Questions:
1. Did you have the standard radio or nav before? I think the standard, but seeing the BMW backup screen made me question that thought. - I have the standard Professional headunit.
2. The distance is only overlayed on the screen? No way to use the BMW green/yellow/red (right third of the screen)? - If you currently have PDC then it'll show on the right side of the screen in the OEM style section, it'll also show as a coloured section overlaying the bottom of the video part as well (all of this is settable so you can customise it to a degree)
3. Does it have the beeping prompts? Through the car speakers? Somewhere else? - If you currently have PDC then the beeps will come through the speakers, if not then an aftermarket one will come with a speaker that you place somewhere of your choice
4. Are you gonna do another fancy how-to video?? :thumbsup: - Yes, already in the process, this is partially what made the job take so long last weekend. Due to the distance I was from the cameras I still need to do a voice-over for it and I'll show the additional relay installation when I do it as well, so the video has been delayed for now.
:thumbsup: :driving:
Dave

spiicytuna

Post by spiicytuna » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:27 am

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 am
spiicytuna wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:17 am 4. Are you gonna do another fancy how-to video?? :thumbsup: - Yes, already in the process, this is partially what made the job take so long last weekend. Due to the distance I was from the cameras I still need to do a voice-over for it and I'll show the additional relay installation when I do it as well, so the video has been delayed for now.
:thumbsup: :driving:
Look forward to it... likely will answer all of my questions :D

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:38 am

For anyone on the group buy thinking of getting the reversing camera, it takes a while to get here from China. So if you want it to arrive soon after the Android unit you should order it now.

Saying that, it might be worth waiting for Dave’s video just in case the fit isn’t that great.

spiicytuna

Post by spiicytuna » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:41 am

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:38 am For anyone on the group buy thinking of getting the reversing camera, it takes a while to get here from China. So if you want it to arrive soon after the Android unit you should order it now.

Saying that, it might be worth waiting for Dave’s video just in case the fit isn’t that great.
Not a lot of other options for an OEM-ish look... so it sounds like "slightly packing it" like Dave mentioned will be what is needed for anyone wanting an OEMish fit.