Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Android iDrive Screen Group Buy - NOW CLOSED

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
EHaryanto

E89 Android iDrive Screem Group Buy

Post by EHaryanto » Tue May 21, 2019 12:00 am

[/quote]
In short I didn't get on with Sygic after a few days so I'm still deciding which is the best to use. I have Google Maps (you need an hotspot connection for live maps), Waze and CoPilot. I like Google Maps as it has a lot of features I use like traffic congestion and roadworks. I've used Waze in Malta and really liked it a lot. But I love CoPilot as I've had it years and it's totally built in with onboard mapping, with the option of live traffic (£10 per year and a hotspot connection)
[/quote]

It a shame if Sygic does not work in this type of device because there are many of this similar device out at the market. Anyway, I will try to store the map downloaded from Sygic to TF card and see how it goes, hope will work but if not I may cancel my subscription/purchase.
I just want my wife like "get into the car, turn everything on...and the navigation is there without fiddling and trying to connect the device to the hotspot". That is one of the main reason I install this device.
I may look at CoPilot, iGo, Waze hope one of those services will be compatible with the device and have an offline map.
Did anyone else use one of those navigation services in this device yet? Thanks for sharing

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue May 21, 2019 9:34 am

EHaryanto wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:00 am It a shame if Sygic does not work in this type of device because there are many of this similar device out at the market. Anyway, I will try to store the map downloaded from Sygic to TF card and see how it goes, hope will work but if not I may cancel my subscription/purchase.
I just want my wife like "get into the car, turn everything on...and the navigation is there without fiddling and trying to connect the device to the hotspot". That is one of the main reason I install this device.
I may look at CoPilot, iGo, Waze hope one of those services will be compatible with the device and have an offline map.
Did anyone else use one of those navigation services in this device yet? Thanks for sharing
OK, as it was some time ago that I checked out Sygic I couldn't honestly remember why I didn't get on with it, so I've had a test run with it this morning.
Firstly the offline map download is quite large (for the UK it's over 900mb), so this has to be fully downloaded first.
For day-to-day navigation, speed limits and voice guidance you don't need any subscription and no data connection to your phone.
There are three levels of subscription but you'll need a hotspot connection to your phone to take advantage of these benefits, so if you don't want to be using a hotspot then you don't need the subscription.

As for using offline maps, I've just used it now and it's worked perfectly, I purposely went off-route and it re-routed very quickly. Voice is through the left door speaker only (which is what the specs of the screen say anyway, but Google Maps and CoPilot use both speakers!).

So when you say "is anyone having problem with Sygic i.e. unable to use the offline map?" have you downloaded and set up the map for your area? Can you expand on your problem more? I'll see what I can do to help :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 22, 2019 10:44 am

Edit to the first post.... now all new units come with 4GB of RAM instead of the 2GB at no extra cost. :thumbsup:
Dave

EHaryanto

Post by EHaryanto » Thu May 23, 2019 12:44 am

[/quote]
OK, as it was some time ago that I checked out Sygic I couldn't honestly remember why I didn't get on with it, so I've had a test run with it this morning.
Firstly the offline map download is quite large (for the UK it's over 900mb), so this has to be fully downloaded first.
For day-to-day navigation, speed limits and voice guidance you don't need any subscription and no data connection to your phone.
There are three levels of subscription but you'll need a hotspot connection to your phone to take advantage of these benefits, so if you don't want to be using a hotspot then you don't need the subscription.

As for using offline maps, I've just used it now and it's worked perfectly, I purposely went off-route and it re-routed very quickly. Voice is through the left door speaker only (which is what the specs of the screen say anyway, but Google Maps and CoPilot use both speakers!).

So when you say "is anyone having problem with Sygic i.e. unable to use the offline map?" have you downloaded and set up the map for your area? Can you expand on your problem more? I'll see what I can do to help :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Thanks Dave, you've done a lot already.
Not sure what's happening with mine. Sygic installation went well, it took a while to install including downloading the maps. The app works well immediately after that and also after WIFI disconnected. However, using the app on the next day or for at least on the 3rd trip (without WIFI connected) the device couldn't open the offline map, the app asking the internet connection. Because of that pattern keep happening, the Sygic support asked me to uninstall and reinstalled again with the latest version 18.0.3. So I did, including downloading the maps. The offline map working for 2 days, I thought the problems solved. The 3rd & 4th day did have a chance to drive, on the 5th-day problem repeated again :-(😒

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu May 23, 2019 5:41 am

EHaryanto wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:44 am
Thanks Dave, you've done a lot already.
Not sure what's happening with mine. Sygic installation went well, it took a while to install including downloading the maps. The app works well immediately after that and also after WIFI disconnected. However, using the app on the next day or for at least on the 3rd trip (without WIFI connected) the device couldn't open the offline map, the app asking the internet connection. Because of that pattern keep happening, the Sygic support asked me to uninstall and reinstalled again with the latest version 18.0.3. So I did, including downloading the maps. The offline map working for 2 days, I thought the problems solved. The 3rd & 4th day did have a chance to drive, on the 5th-day problem repeated again :-(😒
Ok, I see what you mean, I'll run it over the next few days then and see what happens then.
I've even looked into a few apps that would turn the hotspot on automatically when you start the car but cannot find one that is stable.
Give me a few days and I'll run Sygic and see.
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat May 25, 2019 10:24 pm

Ok sat-nav results so far.....

Sygic - work ok with a hotspot connection, but keeps asking for a connection everytime without one even with the maps already downloaded.
Navmii - works great if you don't want voice as that part crashes everytime it needs to say anything.
CoPilot - works perfectly, but you do have to pay for it.
iGo - worked fine on my phone but haven't got around to trying it on the screen yet. You get a very short free trial then you have to pay for the maps.

Google Maps - works fine but you need a connection to download off-line maps. Or just have a hotspot and run it live as it doesn't use very much data.
Waze - you need a hotspot for this one.

If you have an Android phone then you can download an app called Headunit Reloaded (there is a trial version to try first then it's a one off payment of £5.49) and it emulates Android Auto without the need for a dongle (at around £30) you just plug your phone into one of the USB ports with your phones normal cable and it gives you access to you phones music streaming services like Apple Music, Spotify etc as well as your on phone chosen nav app like Google Maps etc without the need to set up a hotspot. You also have text-to-speak access for incoming messages.
Dave

EHaryanto

Post by EHaryanto » Tue May 28, 2019 12:48 pm

I got good news for you if you are using Sygic Navigation Map (off-line).
After a few unsuccessful attempts of trying to use offline map from Sygic now my last effort is successful.
It seems Sygic (or maybe for other navigation apps too) having problems in trying accessing the maps data stored in the internal storage of the device. So what I did, instead of downloading the map and saved it into internal storage I chose to store the maps in the TF card. It took a while to save it but work.
I tested by using the navigation as much as I can during the day (with no internet/hotspot connected) since Friday last week until today and it works just fine. Not a single pop up saying " can't load the map, please connect to the internet". :thumbsup:
I did ask by email to the supplier about this issue, no response :evil: It would be nice to have a little response from them, anyway I do not need their response now :D :)

vld

Post by vld » Thu May 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Google Maps works great for me in offline mode. Just downloaded a large area, and I can now search any address or point of interest around.

I know I said in an earlier post that I would sell my iDrivey controller. I changed my mind, and not because I started to like it, but because it's so bad somebody might think I sold him a defective one:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/-hP0DInu7bk[/youtube]
(Sweden) E89 2012 20i Melbourne Red, Smart-top, Android display, 2.8i mapped, Retrofitted: cup holder and cruise control

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu May 30, 2019 6:47 pm

vld wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:16 pm Google Maps works great for me in offline mode. Just downloaded a large area, and I can now search any address or point of interest around.

I know I said in an earlier post that I would sell my iDrivey controller. I changed my mind, and not because I started to like it, but because it's so bad somebody might think I sold him a defective one:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/-hP0DInu7bk[/youtube]
You have a PM
Dave

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:58 pm

Is this group buy still open? I would be interested if it is.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:30 pm

Zikim wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:58 pm Is this group buy still open? I would be interested if it is.
It certainly is, send me a PM and I can sort things out for you :thumbsup:
Dave

TheThingIs

Post by TheThingIs » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:31 am

I'll add that Tom Tom Go is my personal fave satnav. Works great on this unit with full stereo sound and house number entry. My second favourite is Waze for the user reports and the spoken destination entry. It does crash on me on occasion and sound is only out of left speaker. Sygic is ok. I do 4 or 5 quotations to private addresses every day so the satnav is the most important to me. I do find it necessary to use multiple satnavs though as they don't all carry the same data. If Tom Tom can't find an address I'll switch to Waze and then Sygic etc but 90% of the time Tom Tom gets it and Waze for the other 9.9%, very rarely do I end up using Sygic.

This unit is very good, everything I could ever wish for in my Z! What I will say is that the default software is not 100% perfect...it needs proper apps loading onto it from the play store. You do need to be careful though with what you load onto it. My tinkering almost killed the unit completely but thankfully Dave came to my rescue and I can't thank him enough for all the work he has done to bring this unit to us and support us with it afterwards.

Also, if it helps relieve the pressure on Dave any, I am happy to help anyone with installation and setup. I'm in Manchester.

PS. The best tethering app I have found so far for android is called "Auto WiFi Tethering". Works well and you can set it to auto enable tethering when it gets a bluetooth connection to the car and disable when no connection

scottp3000

Post by scottp3000 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Has anyone had the problem with google maps where it opens, but doesn’t actually display any visual map data? Is it just not getting a good enough data connection to my phone to download the map? Otherwise works really well 🙂🙂

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:24 pm

scottp3000 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:13 pm Has anyone had the problem with google maps where it opens, but doesn’t actually display any visual map data? Is it just not getting a good enough data connection to my phone to download the map? Otherwise works really well 🙂🙂
OK, two things here....
1) Your hotspot, does your phone have a decent signal?
2) (and more likely!!) Have you set the time zone of the screen to London? By default the time zone is China and if it is not changed your clock will be wrong on certain apps and things like Sat-Nav will default to china but you wont receive a map, thus a blank screen!
To set your time zone, go to "Settings", then down to "More Settings", then down to "System", then to "Date & Time" and set it as "GMT+01:00 British Summer Time". Hopefully your Google Maps will now work properly :thumbsup:
Dave

Jersey

Post by Jersey » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:40 pm

Evening all. I’ve read all 11 pages of this topic and also spoken with the folk at a-carnavi... and will probably be PMing you, Dave, at some stage when I get over the price...
However, I was wondering if anyone who started with an iDrive car and bought this unit had had a good enough look to see if a conversion to maintain the motorised screen would work. Obviously the manufacturer will have tried this but I’m wondering what the show-stopper was. Yes, it has the bulk around the back (but surely this could be in a separate box below where the screen mounts) and yes, it’s a bigger screen... but not wider than the original aperture so why can’t if be done? Too tall perhaps? Anyone had a good enough look to work it out? Regards, James