Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Android Dash Display Screen

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
movan

Post by movan » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:19 pm

vld wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:23 pm Edit: people using similar devices and posting about it on other forums report that they get a considerably better GPS fix once they either replace the GPS antenna with another one, or use the BMW original antenna (if the car has original nav) with a splitter.

For those of us American Z4 E89 owners who did not purchase the in-dash BMW GPS option, my understanding is that US-destined Z4s have a factory-installed GPS receiver antenna behind the center roof reading lights.

...and if that is correct, does anyone know if the Fakra cable for the GPS receiver was also pre-installed? If yes, anyone know where the lead / wire travels to (despite being unused) such that I can find it and connect into it and use it with my new Android head unit?

While the reception of my Android-included aftermarket GPS antenna may be ok, it would be much stronger if I could tap into the factory GPS unit (if it exists). Thanks for any advice.
2012 BMW Z4 28i
2018 Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid
2018 Volvo XC90 Inscription
2011 Kia Optima SX
1994 Ford Cobra Indy Pace Car

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:34 pm

I would assume that the cable would route to the TCU box on the LH side of the boot (trunk) as you look at it from the rear, on the rear mid bulkhead :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

movan

Post by movan » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:34 pm

B21 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:34 pm would assume that the cable would route to the TCU box on the LH side of the boot (trunk) as you look at it from the rear, on the rear mid bulkhead
Thanks for your reply. If that's the case, rather than tearing up the car further to get at that cable, I should just buy a new Fakra cable and run it via the windshield header trim between the factory GPS antenna in the center ceiling lights to the Android head unit.
2012 BMW Z4 28i
2018 Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid
2018 Volvo XC90 Inscription
2011 Kia Optima SX
1994 Ford Cobra Indy Pace Car

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:53 pm

movan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:34 pm
B21 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:34 pm would assume that the cable would route to the TCU box on the LH side of the boot (trunk) as you look at it from the rear, on the rear mid bulkhead
Thanks for your reply. If that's the case, rather than tearing up the car further to get at that cable, I should just buy a new Fakra cable and run it via the windshield header trim between the factory GPS antenna in the center ceiling lights to the Android head unit.
My guess of course as I haven't traced the whole cable route.. :tumbleweed:

But normally with GPS aerial cable they avoid any interim junctions etc..

I'm sure given how small now the GPS aerials are you can do a neat job. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

ultramega

Post by ultramega » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:36 pm

IRD wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:08 pm I also have DAB but Dave is researching aerials for me. The windscreen aerial I currently have fitted in not powered and reception is variable.
What was the outcome of the DAB antenna research? I’m probably going to add it to my android screen, but I was just going to use the stick on windscreen antenna.
2010 35i DCT

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:38 pm

ultramega wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:36 pm
IRD wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:08 pm I also have DAB but Dave is researching aerials for me. The windscreen aerial I currently have fitted in not powered and reception is variable.
What was the outcome of the DAB antenna research? I’m probably going to add it to my android screen, but I was just going to use the stick on windscreen antenna.
The short version is..... don't bother!!
Use one of the Internet based apps like TuneIn on the Android screen instead.
Last edited by AnubisZed on Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

IRD

Post by IRD » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:18 pm

ultramega wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:36 pm
Dave has answered your question. We never found a good screen aerial. I no longer own that car now although it belongs to another Forum member. Hope you find a satisfactory solution. Dave is very helpful and also extremely knowledgeable.👍

ultramega

Post by ultramega » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:16 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:38 pm The short version is..... don't bother!!
Use one of the Internet based apps like TuneIn on the Android screen instead.
Ah, right. I was leaning that way anyway, but wanted a back up.
2010 35i DCT

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:23 pm

Hi Dave,

I was reading another forum on the internet, I think you were on it.

It was saying the oem iDrive controller can’t be used with an android head unit, if the car didnt have idrive to start with.
Has anything changed since then, or can it be coded in etc?

I am more interested in the units with the built in carplay, but would rather use the BMW controller.

I have fitted the tweeters, as per your youtube video. They clip straight in! Thanks!

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:38 pm

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:23 pm Hi Dave,

I was reading another forum on the internet, I think you were on it.

It was saying the oem iDrive controller can’t be used with an android head unit, if the car didnt have idrive to start with.
Has anything changed since then, or can it be coded in etc?

I am more interested in the units with the built in carplay, but would rather use the BMW controller.

I have fitted the tweeters, as per your youtube video. They clip straight in! Thanks!
Alas not that I'm aware of, its either the OE iDrive controller with the iDrive system or the aftermarket controller with the non-iDrive system.
Dave

uz4

Post by uz4 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:12 pm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... DybVL&mp=1
How foolish would it be to take a punt on this unit? Any thoughts?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:17 pm

uz4 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:12 pm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... DybVL&mp=1
How foolish would it be to take a punt on this unit? Any thoughts?
Well I wouldn't trust the reviews as it looks like they have exactly the same workshops in South Korea as they do in France!! :rofl:
Personally I'd find someone who is a bit more reputable myself :thumbsup:
Dave

uz4

Post by uz4 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:51 pm

Dave: is the supplier you used still trading?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:22 am

uz4 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:51 pm Dave: is the supplier you used still trading?
Yes he is, link here >> https://acarmultimedia.com/product/acar ... _HJHihpeIo

And even a discount code of "DAVID@ACARNAVI" :thumbsup:

Now I know he's not the cheapest, and there are some UK based suppliers that will sell for less than that, but I can recommend him whereas I've not dealt with anyone else so I can't say for certain on other sellers.
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:31 am

Just as a note on the E89 Android screens from all sellers.
Some will show nice screenshots that show on the dash screen that you can see the "Doors Open" and "Lights On" indications, well to the best of my knowledge this is not available for the E89 (doors open used to be on the original Android 8.1 version but no longer).
Also as far as DAB is concerned (for those without DAB built-in to the head unit), unless you are in a perfect reception area and intend to stay in one, then I do not recommend having this as an option. Instead I'd use an internet based radio app, something like TuneIn, via CarPlay/AA as this would be a more stable option (phone reception is still a factor here).
Dave