Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

cdkbsd bsd fault bsd generator signal code 00281d

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:19 pm

got a fault code.. cdkbsd bsd fault bsd generator signal
code 00281d

thoughts gentlemen ?? whatever has gone wrong it flattened the battery in mins, i moved the car this morning without a problem, went back to it an hour later to and click click click click ..... diag says
cdkbsd bsd fault bsd generator signal
code 00281d

i charged it up and the drain has disappeared, but the fault remains

thoughts ?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:24 pm

My guess this has to do with the alternator.
BSD stands for Bit Serial Data, which is the data protocol bus between alternator and ECU.

My guess is either the alternator or the rectifier on the alternator is at fault.

Or you have a broken bsd wire (or a defective ecu). But if its not the alternator, diagnosing BSD errors is very difficult as it is a proprietary standard (NXP) and not a general obd or can standard.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:53 pm

thank you, so if i replaced the alternator ? can you fix a rectifier ? the alternator IS charging i know, who could find/change the bsd wire ?
my obvious worry is driviing to get it fixed/diagnosed and breaking down on the way
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:01 pm

double check battery terminal is tight as we did unplug it when doing the airbag module, it might be just your alternator is giving up and needs replacing.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:06 pm

I think it is something to do with communication between ECU and alternator, never had it but did a search. Not seen anyone whos fixed it yet so when you do ................ please share :D
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:11 pm

oh where did those days go when you knew it was an alternator cus thr battery was flat or a light came on ..

suddenly hankers for a dynamo and voltage regulator that you tuned with a screwdriver :rofl:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:32 pm

road warrior wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:53 pm thank you, so if i replaced the alternator ? can you fix a rectifier ? the alternator IS charging i know, who could find/change the bsd wire ?
my obvious worry is driviing to get it fixed/diagnosed and breaking down on the way
The bsd wire is the connector that goes into the alternator (so not the big red wire but the smaller black connector).
You can check if thats still connected or damaged.
Have you measured the battery voltage with the car running? How much was that?
I think you can get the rectifier/voltage regulator as a separate unit (it bolts from the alternator).
From bmw its (obviously) pretty expensive (about 120 quid), but in the aftermarket for about 30 quid.

BMW partnumber for the voltage regulator is 12317515319
Bosch partnumber is F 00M A45 219

If you're not comfortable with dismanteling an alternator (the rectifier is at the back, you dont have to open the complete alternator) you have to buy a new one. (an original bosch is in the aftermarket about 220quid, the bmw price... I'm not gonna list :rofl: )

Whatever you do with your alternator: always detach the battery first!
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm

thank you !
i think i saw about 14 volts when it was working before and after it went silly this morning , as i say.. its not draining like a mad thing now, this afternoon i have charged it up ( its a new battery) and left it disconnected and will look tomorrow morning and see what it does, a strange clue is the car says its +40c outside, dead short/open circuit maybe ?
those part no' s for a 2005 3.0 ?
the previous owner said he had a flat battery and when he replaced it it had christmas tree lights up.. its seems likely whatever this problem is, killed his previous battery too

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:54 pm

" Whatever you do with your alternator: always detach the battery first!"

hey. im only HALF as stupid as i look ! :rofl: erm..

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:54 pm

14 volt is quite high I think? (should be around 13,5V I think).
Measure it in the morning with the engine running. 14 V could mean the voltage regulator is indeed bust. Be sure to change it quickly, otherwise you can also change your battery.

Those numbers are for the pre facelift 3.0 voltage regulator.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:24 pm

more clues are coming in .. thank you chaps . i will report back in the morning with the charging voltage ! change it.. is this the thing that bolted to the alternator ? anybody got one lying around for a 2005 3.0 ? i know i never cease to be amazed at you lot.. :D

and the strange indicated 40c outside temp ? its connected to the ecu somehow cus i know of one fella who had a reading of minus something and his roof refused to open - talk about nanny state :)
might it be -40 indicating a busted faulty connection ? is the external temp sensor in the nearside wheel arch - and where does the lead connect to ?

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:13 am

Assuming the same as an E46 -40 means it is disconnected/open circuit.

Or bloody cold :D
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:30 am

yes i agree, just need to find where it goes now ...

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:09 pm

guess what, found the sensor, its been dragging along on the ground..duh.. ohhhh ebay i will go , ebay i will go eeeiadeo ebay i wlll go..
tha nice leccy man said......alternator to blame, but working ok atm. he thinks... its been sitting around since feb, and might be a bit of surface rust somewhere, and think if i run it it might fix itself - so before i lay out some moolah, try it for a while ... oooooooooo a shopping i will go .. the fastest shopping trolley ever seen at asda's.
It charging at 14.03 and drops when you load it.

mykcorleone

Post by mykcorleone » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:42 am

Did u ever fix this issue. I'm getting a no start with no bsd signal to DME fault. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.