Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

How-To articles are in here.
AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:36 am

Braveatom wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:24 am Thanks for this guide and your hard work Dave - just wanted to add another successful install, following these instructions.

I was slightly confused about making sure the stalks were the right model, probably because I'm not too savvy with BMW part selection. Despite ordering the right model number (61319123049), I was sent a superseded one (61316989580) and wasn't sure if that was ok - but it worked fine.

If I now code additional features, will this one stick or need to be added in again? I've heard a few need to be redone every time (5x blinkers, for example). Im not intending on doing anything too crazy - but closing mirrors and 5x indicators would be a nice addition.

Thanks!
Glad you found it useful.
As for it having to be redone this is not the case.

With the likes of Carly then if you do certain codings then when you then do a proper coding with NCSExpert it will wipe over it because you've not actually changed it fully, whereas when you do the cruise retrofit coding you are actually changing parameters properly (if that makes sense).

:thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:19 am

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:36 am
Braveatom wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:24 am Thanks for this guide and your hard work Dave - just wanted to add another successful install, following these instructions.

I was slightly confused about making sure the stalks were the right model, probably because I'm not too savvy with BMW part selection. Despite ordering the right model number (61319123049), I was sent a superseded one (61316989580) and wasn't sure if that was ok - but it worked fine.

If I now code additional features, will this one stick or need to be added in again? I've heard a few need to be redone every time (5x blinkers, for example). Im not intending on doing anything too crazy - but closing mirrors and 5x indicators would be a nice addition.

Thanks!
Glad you found it useful.
As for it having to be redone this is not the case.

With the likes of Carly then if you do certain codings then when you then do a proper coding with NCSExpert it will wipe over it because you've not actually changed it fully, whereas when you do the cruise retrofit coding you are actually changing parameters properly (if that makes sense).

:thumbsup:
Perfect - Thanks Again!

romainh

Post by romainh » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:10 pm

Hi Dave,

I would be keen to have you retrofit a cruise control on my Z4 if this is something you still offer (have sent you a PM).

Either way, great tutorial you've put together - maybe one day I will dare.. :D

Romain
2009 E89 Z4, sDrive23i, automatic, Silver Metallic, non M-Sport (and the right 290 wheels IMO)

olibattman53

Post by olibattman53 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:06 pm

Dave, this is a fantastic combination of previous info and your efforts/docs/videos - thanks!
As brill as the guide is, experience tells me I’ll probably mess something up if I attempt it myself :rofl: I’ll be in touch about trying to come and visit you for a retro-fit if your still able to offer it!
2010 E89 Z4 30i M Sport - Deep Sea Blue / Beige Leather
1991 Golf GTI 16V - getting restored in 2022!

Gone: 2018 Audi RS3, 2016 F-Type V8 SVR, 2014 F-Type V8 R, 2008 Audi S5 V8, 2001 Audi A3 1.8T, 2001 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:19 pm

olibattman53 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:06 pm Dave, this is a fantastic combination of previous info and your efforts/docs/videos - thanks!
As brill as the guide is, experience tells me I’ll probably mess something up if I attempt it myself :rofl: I’ll be in touch about trying to come and visit you for a retro-fit if your still able to offer it!
Yeah send me a PM when you're ready :thumbsup:
Dave

TonyC2.5si

Post by TonyC2.5si » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:58 pm

Hi Dave, I know these posts are old but are you still willing to do the coding part of the retrofit? I’m not too far away from you.

I have a 30i sdrive, December 2009. Manual box. ( NOT M/Sport)

I followed your advice and bought the e90 stalk set up, along with the lower steering column panel, and I’ve also purchased an immaculate m/sport steering wheel. I haven’t fitted this yet, but I’m not too worried about that - it’s the coding that’s scary!! :o :D

Cheers,

Tony.
E89 30i nasp, manual. Titanium silver.

E85 2.5si titanium silver, csl reps, 2 colour black/blue leather, ZHP, stubby - sold

newbie22

Post by newbie22 » Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 pm

Stuartt wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 am
AnubisZed wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm :rofl:

To be fair when you write it all down and include each individual step with a picture then it does start to look very complicated. But in doing it myself with the "part" information that's how I've now managed to put it all together here in one lump, and once you get into it it's relatively straight forward. Obviously you need to read it a few times to make sure you know what's what, and there are a number of YouTube videos on the subject of using NCSExpert and Tool32 although not specific to this coding but do run you through the basics of using the programs.

I do have to admit though it's not for everyone and even I'm still learning each time I do something new in the coding line, but that's the OEM stereo, the memory seats and now the Cruise all done, probably may not do anything else now anyway, just enjoy it 8) :driving:

Have you thought of putting a package together for supply and fit ?

Stuart
i followed the excellent instructions and all works fine! the only thing that doesn't work is that the factory speedo has a green light over the speed set by the cruise control. maybe i coded something wrong. anyway i love my new cruise control! :D

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 11, 2022 4:44 pm

newbie22 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 pm i followed the excellent instructions and all works fine! the only thing that doesn't work is that the factory speedo has a green light over the speed set by the cruise control. maybe i coded something wrong. anyway i love my new cruise control! :D
To have the LED's on the speedo you need a replacement cluster, and that's a whole new ballgame entirely to encode the eprom within the cluster.
Dave

newbie22

Post by newbie22 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:32 am

i've done the install with the factory parts. only difference the green light doesn't show up in the speedo.
installing the parts and coding are much simpler than actually learning to use it! lol
it is the most complex to learn cruise control of any car. its taken me 6 months of use before it becomes second nature to use. (sorta like the turn signals and wipers)

newbie22

Post by newbie22 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:34 am

newbie22 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 pm
Stuartt wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 am
AnubisZed wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm :rofl:

To be fair when you write it all down and include each individual step with a picture then it does start to look very complicated. But in doing it myself with the "part" information that's how I've now managed to put it all together here in one lump, and once you get into it it's relatively straight forward. Obviously you need to read it a few times to make sure you know what's what, and there are a number of YouTube videos on the subject of using NCSExpert and Tool32 although not specific to this coding but do run you through the basics of using the programs.

I do have to admit though it's not for everyone and even I'm still learning each time I do something new in the coding line, but that's the OEM stereo, the memory seats and now the Cruise all done, probably may not do anything else now anyway, just enjoy it 8) :driving:

Have you thought of putting a package together for supply and fit ?

Stuart
i followed the excellent instructions and all works fine! the only thing that doesn't work is that the factory speedo has a green light over the speed set by the cruise control. maybe i coded something wrong. anyway i love my new cruise control! :D
according to the dealer the green light won't show unless you install the instrument cluster with the green light.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun May 29, 2022 4:23 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:44 pm
To have the LED's on the speedo you need a replacement cluster, and that's a whole new ballgame entirely to encode the eprom within the cluster.
newbie22 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 pm i followed the excellent instructions and all works fine! the only thing that doesn't work is that the factory speedo has a green light over the speed set by the cruise control. maybe i coded something wrong. anyway i love my new cruise control! :D
according to the dealer the green light won't show unless you install the instrument cluster with the green light.
As per the reply I'd already given you :thumbsup:
Dave

Snowii

Post by Snowii » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:01 pm

Dave,

going through forums and youtube planning what to upgrade and retrofit on my Z4 2009 I've seen somewhere you had kits ready for this cruise control retrofit, is that still the case?

I tried to find a contact info to PM you directly but w/o success (still cannot PM on these forums)

Thanks!
2009 E89 SDrive35i

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:11 pm

Snowii wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:01 pm Dave,
I tried to find a contact info to PM you directly but w/o success (still cannot PM on these forums)

Thanks!
You will need to make 2 more post's and the PM'ing will be enabled :wink:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

smokyb3

Post by smokyb3 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:14 am

Hi,

I’ve just joined. I have an Arctic White/Red leather 2010 E89 3.0 M-Sport which I have had for 5 years now.
I would love to have cruise control fitted but it worries me a lot about getting a quality item.
I would get my garage to fit it. Which is the best to get? I have Auto Wipers which I think makes a difference.
How long would it take a professional to fit and do they come with very clear instructions?
I can see that there is a lot on here but I’m even more confused! So apologies!!

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:34 am

Its relatively straightforward but i would not expect your average garage to know what to do. Especially around coding... yes you need the right replacement part for your stalks. Check out realoem for the right one then use ebay to find a second hand one.. then just follow the guide !
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.