Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

How-To articles are in here.
AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:36 pm

DISCLAIMER:- OK, this is VERY important. Read the How-To, then read it again and then read it a third time. Make sure you perform EVERY step as it is written down, do not miss a step, and do not think you know better!!
If you do something wrong at best you'll receive an error message, at worst you could screw up the coding of your car. I cannot stress this enough this is serious stuff, only attempt this if you think it is something you can do.

Edit** A BRAND NEW (updated and more informative) how-to full walk through video for parts, install, coding and demo is now available..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjbddx24aqE&t=

If anyone is interested in this retro-fit I've managed to collate all the information in two Word documents (1st is the physical installation and the 2nd is the coding stages). They are mainly other peoples work but just all together with some additional information especially for the e89.

They are on my DropBox account ....

Part 1 >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qj1ty50rgpjf ... 1.pdf?dl=0

Part 2 >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/u20zvkfwc91bw ... 2.pdf?dl=0
(Part 2 now includes links to new profiles and SPDaten files as well as instructions on how to load them and a new final process step)

I hope that is of help to someone.

Just as a heads-up for purchasing your Cruise stalk assembly.....

DON'T just search for one that is labelled as e89 as sellers seem to increase the price of these just because it's a Z4.
Instead put in your search e90 as this should bring up the exact same stalk as for the e81, 82, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 and 93. These are all the same fitment with the only other item to watch out for is the "A" symbol on the wiper stalk if you have auto wipers, if not then you just have the windscreen with the 3 dashers underneath symbol (if you have trouble here you CAN buy any stalk assembly but then have the wrong symbol and no LED)
Hope that helps.

EDIT - Attached photos showing the Standard cruise Stalks (Right side stalk with the 3 dashes) and the Auto Wiper stalks (Right stalk with the "A" on it and an LED)
You CAN actually run auto wipers with a standard stalk if that is all that you can find.
Screenshot_20190611-232614_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20190611-232614_Firefox.jpg (132.58 KiB) Viewed 12851 times
Screenshot_20190611-232603_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20190611-232603_Firefox.jpg (72.99 KiB) Viewed 12851 times
Last edited by AnubisZed on Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 am, edited 13 times in total.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:23 pm

Great write up well done, it was all going so well till part 2 :o

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:26 pm

Stuartt wrote: ↑Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:23 pm Great write up well done, it was all going so well till part 2 :o

Stuart

Sounds as easy as falling off a bike, hang on a minute! :roll:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

scott202

Post by scott202 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks, that’s excellent, was thinking of doing this next!
A far cry from the simple 5 min job it was to retrofit to my e85 :P
2004 E85 Z4 3.0i / Stirling Grey / Xenons / M-Sport Suspension / New England Leather / Carver DSP / Navigation / Intravee II

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm

:rofl:

To be fair when you write it all down and include each individual step with a picture then it does start to look very complicated. But in doing it myself with the "part" information that's how I've now managed to put it all together here in one lump, and once you get into it it's relatively straight forward. Obviously you need to read it a few times to make sure you know what's what, and there are a number of YouTube videos on the subject of using NCSExpert and Tool32 although not specific to this coding but do run you through the basics of using the programs.

I do have to admit though it's not for everyone and even I'm still learning each time I do something new in the coding line, but that's the OEM stereo, the memory seats and now the Cruise all done, probably may not do anything else now anyway, just enjoy it 8) :driving:
Dave

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 am

AnubisZed wrote: ↑Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm :rofl:

To be fair when you write it all down and include each individual step with a picture then it does start to look very complicated. But in doing it myself with the "part" information that's how I've now managed to put it all together here in one lump, and once you get into it it's relatively straight forward. Obviously you need to read it a few times to make sure you know what's what, and there are a number of YouTube videos on the subject of using NCSExpert and Tool32 although not specific to this coding but do run you through the basics of using the programs.

I do have to admit though it's not for everyone and even I'm still learning each time I do something new in the coding line, but that's the OEM stereo, the memory seats and now the Cruise all done, probably may not do anything else now anyway, just enjoy it 8) :driving:

Have you thought of putting a package together for supply and fit ?

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:56 am

Stuartt wrote: ↑Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 am
AnubisZed wrote: ↑Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm :rofl:

Have you thought of putting a package together for supply and fit ?

Stuart
There are places out there that will do this mod for you, one of which is Redish Automotive in Bristol (video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMRGevLKMMI )

Personally I'd happily do it if someone wanted me to but it's not something I'd set up purposely
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 am

Just as a heads-up for purchasing your Cruise stalk assembly.....

DON'T just search for one that is labelled as e89 as sellers seem to increase the price of these just because it's a Z4.
Instead put in your search e90 as this should bring up the exact same stalk as for the e81, 82, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 and 93. These are all the same fitment with the only other item to watch out for is the "A" symbol on the wiper stalk if you have auto wipers, if not then you just have the windscreen with the 3 dashers underneath symbol (if you have trouble here you CAN buy any stalk assembly but then swap the wiper stalk over, 2 screws and a small plug EDIT - NO YOU CAN'T!!!!! This is not possible) You can use a non-auto lights stalk on an auto lights car, it WILL work just the same!!
Hope that helps.

EDIT - Attached photos showing the Standard cruise Stalks (Right side stalk with the 3 dashes) and the Auto Wiper stalks (Right stalk with the "A" on it)
You CAN actually run auto wipers with a standard stalk if that is all that you can find, but like I say I'd swap it over with the old one.

Additional edits in RED BOLD
Attachments
Standard wipers.jpg
Standard wipers.jpg (88.08 KiB) Viewed 14116 times
Auto wipers.jpg
Auto wipers.jpg (164.4 KiB) Viewed 14116 times
Last edited by AnubisZed on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave

Barneybee

Post by Barneybee » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Could you also just remove the Cruise stalk from the purchased assembly and fit it to the existing setup?
Just interested as I have the bits to do this, now just need to find some time.
Never drive faster than your angels can fly

2016 E89 SDrive 2.0i MSport Auto Valencia Orange

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 am

Barneybee wrote: ↑Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:45 pm Could you also just remove the Cruise stalk from the purchased assembly and fit it to the existing setup?
Yes that should work just the same. EDIT - Sorry wrong, you can't do this.
Obviousley you'd still need the lower steering cowl and the piece of plastic that clips on between the Cruise stalk and the BC stalk
Last edited by AnubisZed on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:59 am

I thought the slip ring on the E89 was different between cruise and non cruise versions.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:52 am

srhutch wrote: ↑Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:59 am I thought the slip ring on the E89 was different between cruise and non cruise versions.
It may be, but I can't see why it should be though :|
My reasoning for that is that it sits between the stalk assembly and the steering wheel, whereas the loom plugs into the stalk assembly prior to the slip ring, thus I can't see.........

I'll check.......

UPDATE**
I've checked and there are two slip rings, 1 for the multi-function steering wheel and one for the non multi-function wheel, that's it.
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 pm

When undertaking a retrofit I noticed that there is an error in the coding how-to, for this it has been removed. I'll replace it as soon as I rectify the problem.
Sorry about that.
Dave

Barneybee

Post by Barneybee » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 am

AnubisZed wrote: ↑Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 am
Barneybee wrote: ↑Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:45 pm Could you also just remove the Cruise stalk from the purchased assembly and fit it to the existing setup?
Yes that should work just the same.
Obviousley you'd still need the lower steering cowl and the piece of plastic that clips on between the Cruise stalk and the BC stalk
Thanks for the info.
I do have the other bits too, so ready to go when time allows.
Never drive faster than your angels can fly

2016 E89 SDrive 2.0i MSport Auto Valencia Orange

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Barneybee wrote: ↑Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 am
AnubisZed wrote: ↑Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 am
Yes that should work just the same.
Thanks for the info.
I do have the other bits too, so ready to go when time allows.
Sorry bud, this info is incorect, you do need the three stalk set-up, it can't be altered
Dave