Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New to me Deep Sea Blue Z4 35i DCT

First port of call for new members
mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:49 pm

h :cry: never seen or heard anything like that happening before :o freak or defective tyre ?
I know its possible to tear the wall if you drive with low pressure & hit a hard ridge , the rim can cut through the sidewall but never seen a vertical split from the rim like that :(
Very lucky you weren't traveling any speed
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:18 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:49 pm h :cry: never seen or heard anything like that happening before :o freak or defective tyre ?
I know its possible to tear the wall if you drive with low pressure & hit a hard ridge , the rim can cut through the sidewall but never seen a vertical split from the rim like that :(
Very lucky you weren't traveling any speed
As I was just getting onto the sliproad I was still doing 70mph and was just about to start braking when it went pop. Very lucky I wasn't on the brakes or accelerating!
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:40 pm

Well it has been a very eventful month for the 35i! Car has had a good few things tweaked and sorted over the past few weeks and everything is go!

The exploding tyre was replaced on the drive with a new Pilot Alpin 4 tyre and during the replacement the tyre fitter noticed that the rear driver's side coil spring had snapped near the bottom. :headbang: The spring was quite rusted so it looks like it has been broken for quite a while and must have been compensated for by the adaptive suspension (no idea how it wasn't spotted by MOTs and BMW investigating my wheels).

I took the car to get its new Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tyres put onto the new style 313M wheels and took the TPMS sensors from the old wheels and put them into the new ones (simple click in system and just left the old valves in the old wheels). I then swapped the car from its winter rubber onto the new summers, taking the opportunity to check around the car for any other broken springs or elements (just the one spring thankfully).

Below you can compare the replicas (on the car) to the genuine style 313M wheels. Only real difference is a BMW Performance sticker near the valve and a space for an //M sticker under the hubcap.

Car was in need of a brake fluid service so picked up some ATE DOT 4 TYP 200 fluid for £15 from EuroCarParts, got a pair of new LESJÖFORS rear coil springs Part No: 33536785087 & 33536785088 (M-adaptive suspension) for the rear as they should be replaced in pairs and got a wheel alignment while I was at it. Springs have maintained the ride height and are as OEM as I could get.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE- ... 2749.l2649

The car has completely transformed! the new springs have made a massive difference to the handling of the car, the tyres stick like s**t to a blanket and the brake fluid is doing it job (don't think I'll ever test it up to boiling point).

One of the seals at the bottom of the driver's sill had dried up, cracked and started irritating me so I replaced it with no issues.

Oh and I got the engine strut brace powder coated in black for £20 because the white was annoying me after I spent a few hours cleaning it up.

All in all a very productive few weeks ready for a sunny summer ahead. Bring on the National Meet!

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Been a long time since I've updated but figured I'd get the post caught up to current events.

Had a fantastic time at the National Meet and enjoyed meeting everyone.

My water pump failed on the way to a meeting in September, and had the AA tow me to my indy in Wigan. I sourced the new parts individually (pump, thermostat, and don't forget the screws). The indy runs a 135i about a year older than mine and had just replaced his a few months prior so was easy to sort.

Literally 10 miles after the pump was replaced the coilpack nearest to the front of the block went. A new £35 coilpack later and the car has been running smooth since. Apparently the two coilpacks at the front of the engine undergo the most hot and cold cycling, and so are first to go. Just have to keep a spare in the boot for when the other one near the front goes.

6 new spark plugs at its service and MOT in Jan with no advisories, but with the indy telling me that the rear pads will need replacing in the next 6k miles.

After reading about the salmon roof relays in the boot I've replaced them according to the thread below (at £15 each its cheap insurance to prevent having to buy a stupidly expensive roof motor in the future).

Scorch marks on inside of relay case:

Still getting some lovely beading after 18 months with the ceramic coating on too :)

Cermaic coating holding up:

Things to do this year:
1. Clean offside rear lamp gasket and prevent water getting in (tiny bit of misting this winter).
2. Maybe get some new exhaust tips.
3. Maybe get some new pedals and footrest.
4. Find some rear brake pads and maybe some street performance front pads.

Things not to do this year no matter how cool and fantastic they may be:
1. Don't add M3/M4/340i/440i brake calipers to the front with 370mm discs.
2. Definitely don't add H&R sway bar to front and M3 upper control arm and lower control arms. :?

Bring on the summer sun! :driving:

Salmon roof relay thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=119167

Haggisman

Post by Haggisman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Really good update, will look forward to how you resist the “not to do “ list haha
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 pm

Beeacon how many miles has your car done?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:25 pm

Silverstar wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 pm Beeacon how many miles has your car done?
Just about to hit 70k mark now, pulls like a dream still!
Haggisman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 pm Really good update, will look forward to how you resist the “not to do “ list haha
I'm gonna try my best but its a slippery slope!

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:18 pm

While being quarantined and cooped up at home, I have taken the time to sort out a little niggle that was annoying me. Whenever the ambient temperature starts to rise, I was finding that my wingmirrors would squeak whenever the fold. This was caused by a buildup of grime over its life. Easy way to fix this was to follow these two guides:

1) Remove the wingmirror glass as follows:
viewtopic.php?t=71535

2) Remove the cover plate that is squeaking:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e89- ... s/8IsFPGk7

3) Baby wipe it all down, particularly in the seal!

4) Job done. Next week, swap my wheel back over to summers and then look at maybe getting some pedal covers!

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:15 pm

Beeacon wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:18 pm While being quarantined and cooped up at home, I have taken the time to sort out a little niggle that was annoying me. Whenever the ambient temperature starts to rise, I was finding that my wingmirrors would squeak whenever the fold. This was caused by a buildup of grime over its life. Easy way to fix this was to follow these two guides:
I just was finding the same thing. very squeaky! Very useful thanks! :thumbsup:
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:30 pm

Beeacon wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:18 pm Remove the cover plate that is squeaking:
what sort of thing did you use to pop off the cover?
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:55 am

clarker63 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:30 pm what sort of thing did you use to pop off the cover?
Hi Clarker,

I used a thin plastic spatula that I have for 3D printing. If you use a thin, narrow, plastic scraper of some form it should work wonderfully (avoid metal to avoid scraping the paint).

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:28 pm

Well it has been a long time since I have posted an update here but after nearly 5 fantastic years of ownership, the car is ready for it's next owner.

Do I want to sell it? Absolutely not.
Do I need to sell it? Begrudgingly, yes.
I recently welcomed my wonderful daughter into our family and had to come up with ways to keep the car. I came up with two options:
1) Cut the car in half, add two seats, turn it into a stretch limo Z4 because I don't want to sell it; or
2) Sell the car.

While I may have the gumption for option 1, my wallet doesn't. So it is with sorrow that I will be putting it up for sale. The car has been pampered and well looked after, and is still sitting shiny at 80k miles. Pulls like a truck, too...

I'm gonna miss this machine.
Beeacon.