Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85/E86 Steering Problems (Solved)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:48 pm

perttu wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:16 am
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for having me :)
Not sure it would have been so easy with allen key bolts?
Based on my limited experience, there is so little space up there, that if you have to do anything more complex than loosening the bolts, rotating the ring and then tightening the bolts again, it's probably easier to remove the whole steering column from the car. Then again, maybe some magician with right tools and small hands could it :).
Hey! It's official! I'm a magician. :thumbsup:
Couple of hours to remove, including the mandatory wait after disconnecting the battery, then removing the steering wheel and seat.
One 8mm ratchet ring spanner and a torch. Apart from the foot-well trim panel and the lower steering column shroud that was all I disturbed.
Refitting took around an hour as by then I knew what I as doing. Only issue was not being able to reach to put the bolts into the holes. As previously stated, put them in the ratchet ring spanner, offer them up, apply pressure on the bolt head with a screwdriver blade and ratchet them in. 5 minutes to do both. Aided by the fact that I indelibly marked the motor, ring and column before I took it apart, so it was all lined up.

To be fair though, I was the guy with small hands who used to be stood on a gearbox jack, holding the required tools over my head, and jacked up into the access panels of a Tornado to change stuff, so I guess I have had practice.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

davros

Post by davros » Fri May 20, 2022 2:29 pm

Hi guys, hope someone can help.

I’m about to tackle this sticky steering fix, but after reading through this thread several times I’m still confused which way to rotate the ring to loosen it…. :?

If I’m on the right hand side of the steering column looking towards the centre console, do I need to rotate the eccentric ring clock wise so the guide line Ive marked on it would move upwards against the adjacent line I’ve marked on the servo motor? (Hope this makes sense - I’m suddenly feeling my age :( )
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Fri May 20, 2022 3:18 pm

davros To be completely honest, a) I can't remember and b) I can't be bothered going through all the pages of this thread again to find out! But it doesn't really matter.

1. Mark the eccentric ring and adjacent housing with a marker pen before you begin (as advised in this thread) so that you can always return it to the way it was before you started making adjustments.

2. Raise and support the front end of the car with the wheels off the ground. Spin the steering wheel left and right 180 degrees or so a few times to get a feel for the steering feel.

3. Loosen the pinch bolts so that the eccentric ring is free to move.

4. Rotate the eccentric ring 45 degrees or so in one direction, now test the feel of the steering.

5. Rotate the eccentric ring back to the start point, and then beyond the start point by 45 degrees or so. Now test the feel of the steering.

6. You should now be aware of which directions make the steering looser and tighter.

7. Based on your learning above, tweak the ring round to a point that makes the steering feel the way you think it should (i.e. Not tight, not sloppy), nip up the pinch bolts and take it for a drive. Don't feel as though you "shouldn't" require more than 10 mm of rotation on the ring. Some of them do need more than that.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

davros

Post by davros » Fri May 20, 2022 3:53 pm

Cheers James :thumbsup:
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Fri May 20, 2022 4:09 pm

davros wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:53 pm Cheers James :thumbsup:
No problem. Feel free to PM me if you're stuck in the heat of the moment, and I'll reply if I get it!
Previous:

<My name is James>

davros

Post by davros » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:39 pm

Just want to thank James and all the contributors on this post. Its incredible a small adjustment to the centric ring can make such a huge difference to the driving feel of the car :thumbsup:

For anyone planning to tackle this job I can confirm the ring needs to be rotated clockwise (if you are looking from the right side of the steering column / motor towards the centre console) to loosen the steering.

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:36 pm

davros wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:39 pm Just want to thank James and all the contributors on this post. Its incredible a small adjustment to the centric ring can make such a huge difference to the driving feel of the car :thumbsup:
You're welcome, and congrats on the improvement. Happy Zedding! :driving:
Previous:

<My name is James>

D742

Post by D742 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:48 pm

I have done the tension ring adjustment with good results using 5 mm movement, and am going to go back in and do another 5 mm.

Unforuntatly I have the allen bolt heads. I am going to change these to something that i can put a wrench on, and would like to have them on hand when I do the job.

Does anyone know the bolt size/length that I need to go hunting for? RealOEM does not show them.

Thanks,

Southwestz4

Post by Southwestz4 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:47 pm

davros wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:29 pm Hi guys, hope someone can help.

I’m about to tackle this sticky steering fix, but after reading through this thread several times I’m still confused which way to rotate the ring to loosen it…. :?

If I’m on the right hand side of the steering column looking towards the centre console, do I need to rotate the eccentric ring clock wise so the guide line Ive marked on it would move upwards against the adjacent line I’ve marked on the servo motor? (Hope this makes sense - I’m suddenly feeling my age :( )
Looking at the eps ring from the seat ( ie looking in the forward direction ) tap the bottom of the ring towards the engine bulkhead to loosen the steering :thumbsup:
2004 z4 3.0i Sterling silver
x5 40d m sport black sapphire metallic
Transit custom

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:04 pm

davros wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:39 pm For anyone planning to tackle this job I can confirm the ring needs to be rotated clockwise (if you are looking from the right side of the steering column / motor towards the centre console) to loosen the steering.
Southwestz4 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:47 pm Looking at the eps ring from the seat ( ie looking in the forward direction ) tap the bottom of the ring towards the engine bulkhead to loosen the steering :thumbsup:
These two statements are saying the exact opposite???
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Southwestz4

Post by Southwestz4 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:11 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:04 pm
davros wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:39 pm For anyone planning to tackle this job I can confirm the ring needs to be rotated clockwise (if you are looking from the right side of the steering column / motor towards the centre console) to loosen the steering.
Southwestz4 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:47 pm Looking at the eps ring from the seat ( ie looking in the forward direction ) tap the bottom of the ring towards the engine bulkhead to loosen the steering :thumbsup:
These two statements are saying the exact opposite???
Well thats what worked for me :thumbsup: :D
2004 z4 3.0i Sterling silver
x5 40d m sport black sapphire metallic
Transit custom

Special Kay

Post by Special Kay » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:12 pm

Hey Joycey, I've just been reading through your handy work. Having recently bought a coupe, my journey home was dampened by the travel/play I was experiencing in the steering wheel around 60mph. I was thinking worse case scenario or replacing or reconditioned steering rack, but this thread has restored some confidence in BMW. Once I've got it on the road (probably next spring to summer) this will be one of the first things I will be addressing. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to you and all other contributors for all your analytical and problem solving skills. I'll be eternally thankful. :thumbsup:

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:15 pm

Special Kay wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:12 pm Hey Joycey, I've just been reading through your handy work. Having recently bought a coupe, my journey home was dampened by the travel/play I was experiencing in the steering wheel around 60mph. I was thinking worse case scenario or replacing or reconditioned steering rack, but this thread has restored some confidence in BMW. Once I've got it on the road (probably next spring to summer) this will be one of the first things I will be addressing. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to you and all other contributors for all your analytical and problem solving skills. I'll be eternally thankful. :thumbsup:
Your welcome, if your local more than happy to make the adjustment for you. Plenty of space now to help out.
8EF4B633-2C71-4D8A-9C00-2E3DB99F32C0.jpeg
8EF4B633-2C71-4D8A-9C00-2E3DB99F32C0.jpeg (177.78 KiB) Viewed 705 times

Special Kay

Post by Special Kay » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:24 pm

wow man that's an awesome collection of z3's. My eye's seem fixated on the silver one. It definitely brings back some happy memories of mine. The cb750 looks pretty smart too :thumbsup:

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:34 pm

Good spot on the CB, The silver Z3 is actually up for sale its a 1 owner 2.8 straight 6 :D
Last edited by Joycey on Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.