Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85/E86 Steering Problems (Solved)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Joycey

Post by Joycey » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:35 pm

@zag

zag

Post by zag » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:29 pm

Joycey wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:35 pm@zag
Thanks, gotta love a good breakdown of how it all works ;)

Rldee007

Post by Rldee007 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:21 pm

Hi,

I had a play with this fix.

My issues is above 50mph my steering felt vague and a slight mind of its own.

So I adjusted to tightening it up and the steering feels much more direct and heavier in a sensible way. I moved it about 8/10mm from where it was.

Though I find I feeling and hear slight knocking through the wheel. Any idea why?
Am I going wrong?? In the mean time I have backed it off slightly, approximately 3/4mm.

Also looking to check the tyre pressures.

It passed it MOT with no advisories but did say the front ARB was starting to wear. So I am looking to replace this with new powerflex bushes and new drop links. I plan to evaluate is the possibly get the wheel alignment and wheel balanced check. Any other suggestions?

nscherr1

Post by nscherr1 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:34 am

This sticky steering post is outstanding! It took many hours to break free the 6mm allen screws but once the ring adjustment was made...I adjusted 7 mm...It worked like a charm! I think my wife will actually drive it again!

Thank you!

greggy50

Post by greggy50 » Mon May 03, 2021 1:15 pm

Reamesy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:56 am
Racer_dude wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:34 pm Hi Folks,
New here. Recently bought a Z4 Coupe 3.0Si 56 plate in stunning montego blue in July 2020. Have had the twichy heavy steering issue since purchasing the car. I am based in the Midlands and would appreciate it if someone with experience in fixing the issue would fix my steering problem. Or if any suggestions what to do next or where to get it done. I would be happy to travel to get it sorted and can pay. Thanks
Im in Chester and would happily do this for you. shouldn't take more than an hour or so as it needs to be adjusted then tested with further refinement to achieve the right amount. SY14 7BJ
Hi,

Would you be able to take a look at mine? I am based in Chester and would be happy to pay.

It just feels a bit vague at higher speeds to me...

Thanks,
Greg
29 - Chester
2006 - BMW Z4 2.5 SI Sport Roadster
2021 - Polestar 2 Duel Motor

Callums Dad

Post by Callums Dad » Thu May 06, 2021 8:52 pm

First post, please be gentle - I have owned by 2007 E86 3.0Si for nearly 6 years now, I'm afraid it's not a first or 2nd car merely an occasional fun weekend car only so I have taken sometime to work through this issue.

Anyway, I have suffered from the stiff/woolly steering for sometime now and had already changed many parts in the search for a cure including.

Steering column joint - Genuine BMW
Bottom arms - Delphi
Anti roll bar bushes and connecting rods and - OEM
Shocks and springs all round - Bilstein OE shocks and quality replacement springs
Switched wheels and moved to non run flat tyres - moved from MV2's to BBS split rims and Nexen Nfera SU-1 tyres
Four wheel alignment.

And the problem still persisted - Anyway, I stumbled across this forum and specifically this thread, so being mechanically competent I have today moved the collar on the column 5-6mm clockwise as detailed in the instructions at the start of this thread. Early indications are that it has, at the very least, significantly improved the stiff/woolly steering issue that I have been experiencing above 50mph in a straight line if not eradicated it completely - only time will tell, but thanks to you all for the very informative thread and detailed instructions.

Fwiw, I found that if I removed the spring blocking the view of the front bolt using a pair of.mole.grips on the lower ring (for tensioning the reach and height of the wheel) I was able to get better access to the fastener with a fixed 8mm ratchet spanner which allowed me to apply more torque - I used a Halfords professional ratchet spanner as I have found them to be longer than a standard spanner and easier to get into the restricted space. I simply refitted the spring using a hook for fitting exhaust rubbers that I have (I guess even a metal coat hanger or similar with a hook on the end would do the same job).

Spriteracer

Post by Spriteracer » Fri May 07, 2021 9:25 am

Can I just ask, as I am about to do this shortly, what is the most likely type of bolt ? I have seen both male torx and female socket heads in photos that have been put up. When people refer to an 8mm spanner I assume they are referring to a torx spanner not a flats type but can someone please confirm. I want to make sure I have the correct one before I take it to bits.

My car is a December 2006 build (reg 2007) E86 3.0si. UK spec.

Many thanks.
2007 E86 "work in progress"

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Fri May 07, 2021 9:37 am

Spriteracer The only way to be 100% sure is to go and look at your car. It only takes 30 seconds to open the door, climb in and shine a torch up there :thumbsup: The rest of us would be guessing.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Spriteracer

Post by Spriteracer » Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 am

OK thanks for that. I probably have most tool options but if it is that uncertain I'll check as you suggest.

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Fri May 07, 2021 10:34 am

Spriteracer It is possible to use an 8 mm ringkey spanner (unless your car has the less-common socket cap screws), though the correct tool would be the appropriate E Torx spanner (E11 I think, from memory?).
Previous:

<My name is James>

Spriteracer

Post by Spriteracer » Fri May 07, 2021 10:59 am

Many thanks, I have 8mm 12 point ratchet in stock and E11 arriving tomorrow. Just my luck it will be the socket type....

Mihai Aurelian

Post by Mihai Aurelian » Wed May 12, 2021 11:18 pm

Hello guys,
Great thread, lots of useful info here.
I've been enjoying my '04 2.5 Z4 for a few years now. A few weeks ago after filled at a gas station, started the car and had no power steering. Only the steering light came on. Stopped and started, got power steering back, no light. After that the problem keeps showing up almost every
time I start the car. It usually goes away after I stop and start it a few times. If it starts without power steering, this never comes back while driving. Also if it starts with ps, it works perfectly and never shuts down while driving. Scanned it with bmw scanner 1.4 and no fault codes show up. No DSC lights, everything else works ok.
Any of you guys had this problem? Is there an easy fix or do I need a rebuilt steering column?
Thank you.

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Thu May 13, 2021 7:53 am

Mihai Aurelian wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:18 pm Hello guys,
Great thread, lots of useful info here.
I've been enjoying my '04 2.5 Z4 for a few years now. A few weeks ago after filled at a gas station, started the car and had no power steering. Only the steering light came on. Stopped and started, got power steering back, no light. After that the problem keeps showing up almost every
time I start the car. It usually goes away after I stop and start it a few times. If it starts without power steering, this never comes back while driving. Also if it starts with ps, it works perfectly and never shuts down while driving. Scanned it with bmw scanner 1.4 and no fault codes show up. No DSC lights, everything else works ok.
Any of you guys had this problem? Is there an easy fix or do I need a rebuilt steering column?
Thank you.
I'm sorry to hear about your steering woes, but what you are describing is not a sticky steering problem. In the interests of not confusing this particular thread, I'd recommend using the search function to find one of the threads about people who have had the EPS light and a loss of power steering. Failing that, you could always start a new thread about your particular problem and others will chip in :)
Previous:

<My name is James>

Reamesy

Post by Reamesy » Thu May 13, 2021 8:19 am

greggy50 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:15 pm
Reamesy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:56 am
Racer_dude wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:34 pm Hi Folks,
New here. Recently bought a Z4 Coupe 3.0Si 56 plate in stunning montego blue in July 2020. Have had the twichy heavy steering issue since purchasing the car. I am based in the Midlands and would appreciate it if someone with experience in fixing the issue would fix my steering problem. Or if any suggestions what to do next or where to get it done. I would be happy to travel to get it sorted and can pay. Thanks
Im in Chester and would happily do this for you. shouldn't take more than an hour or so as it needs to be adjusted then tested with further refinement to achieve the right amount. SY14 7BJ
Hi,

Would you be able to take a look at mine? I am based in Chester and would be happy to pay.

It just feels a bit vague at higher speeds to me...

Thanks,
Greg
Happy to have a look Greg but no payment needed :thumbsup: pm me
Currently; 2011 E89 23i SDrive M Sport Highline Titan Silver
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2012 E89 SDrive 2.0 M Sport. White
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9

Cliic

Post by Cliic » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:07 pm

Hello Guys! Hope you doing all very good.

I am enjoying my z4 e85 3.0 se lately since the weather start to be good! Unfortunately I saw quite quickly than the steering was sticky. Yesterday after being cook under the sun I took my car and the sticky steering appear. And I was not to bother but yesterday it just kill my happiness. You can drive fast, can drive with one hand. I literally had to repute the steering in direction many time because if I was turning and not holding the steering it would stay in the same position not coming back.

I read thread about ikt but I sick your help. The numbers of thread are enormous the timescale also the number of forum also.

I think I understand 3 kinds of solutions.

1- Do a Tension ring adjustment.
2- Drill a hole in the column and grease it
3- Change the all column.

So as I read my understanding is the tension ring adjustment repair a lot of problem coming later 2015/16 by the German forum and seem working for many. I also read about repositioning the engine or column cant tell.

Anyway I did my research but I am a noob in that. I dont want to do anything stupid. I am leaving in the midland and I would like if someone did the repair can help me. I can also pay a garage to do if you know one near when they dont still your money haha.

Thank you guys