Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project Spa - baton passed on. Keep reading

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:42 pm

Got someone needing an airbag module coded, so temporary work stop.
Next plan of action is take out the solenoids, double check they are clean and operate with 12v on them.
I have also read it is possible to juxtapose the plugs, but not sure I'll know if they are on wrongly now?

Then there is talk of filters on the side??
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

j3nks79

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by j3nks79 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:47 pm

If there is a fault logged on that sensor it won’t advance or retard the cam.
I’d pull them out to firstly see if they are gummed up and clean them out.
Then get a battery and add 12v on it and see if it actuates.
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:56 pm

j3nks79 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:47 pm If there is a fault logged on that sensor it won’t advance or retard the cam.
I’d pull them out to firstly see if they are gummed up and clean them out.
Then get a battery and add 12v on it and see if it actuates.
Will do. Thanks.
But when I clear the fault it still doesn't move.

I also just read an article saying if the cage in the oil filter housing is damaged or missing it allows unfiltered oil through which could gum up even new solenoids pretty quickly.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

j3nks79

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by j3nks79 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:59 pm

When did it last have an oil change? Normally the filter collapses and it starves the oil going through. But I’d expect to see an oil pressure code for that maybe?!
Start with the clean and test on solenoids. Might also be worth pulling our the valve tronic motors. Re fitting so it can relearn its position.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:42 pm

j3nks79 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:59 pm When did it last have an oil change? Normally the filter collapses and it starves the oil going through. But I’d expect to see an oil pressure code for that maybe?!
Start with the clean and test on solenoids. Might also be worth pulling our the valve tronic motors. Re fitting so it can relearn its position.
Two years ago, but not many miles.
I have done a valvetronic reset too.
Solenoids first.

j3nks79

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by j3nks79 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:07 pm

Well oil change and solenoids out clean and test then would be a good place to start.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:09 pm

Couple more minor things picked up.
The oil cooler to filter housing gasket is leaking - new one on order.
The boot rams are weak and the ball joints worn so they nearly fall off - to be replaced by a good secondhand pair from my box'o'bits. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:57 pm

A little more progress this afternoon.
Removed the vanos solenoids just as a belt'n'braces check. Apologies to Janis if he feels I didn't trust him, I just wanted to start from the logical beginning.
As I should have known, both solenoids were shiny and new, no blockages and operated perfectly. so they are back in place.
Then I popped the top cover off!
As I half expected, the seal has failed around the eccentric cam sensor, oil everywhere, including down inside the plug. I sprayed it liberally with contact cleaner while I whipped out the coils. These all turned out to be nice and dry with no evidence of any oil seeping into the plug wells.

Started it up and no engine light, but the engine revved momentarily to 2k then straight back to a smooth idle.
Turned it off, left it ten minutes then started it again. Back to square one! Hunting for a few seconds, enough for the Engine light to come on, then settles into a perfect idle and performs flawlessly. But with that light on!
Code is, once again, '2A82 VANOS intake'.
I swapped the solenoids when I put them back in as well.

Any ideas you N52 experts?

I am thinking I am going to have to fit a new eccentric cam sensor anyway, as with that much oil around I cannot rule it out as the problem somehow.
Prices of new ones seem to vary a lot, any recommendations on a good quality one at a decent price?
Vanos solenoid.JPG
Vanos solenoid.JPG (76.56 KiB) Viewed 300 times
ECS Plug 1.JPG
ECS Plug 1.JPG (60.95 KiB) Viewed 300 times
ECS Seal.JPG
ECS Seal.JPG (57.05 KiB) Viewed 300 times
ECS Plug.JPG
ECS Plug.JPG (44.45 KiB) Viewed 300 times

axelleveau

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by axelleveau » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:39 pm

I think it makes sense that a messed up eccentric shaft sensor would lead the ECU to get valve lift out of wack on start-up and then adjust to bring the idle back down. As you said, if it is full of oil it will probably fail eventually so despite the removal of valve cover being quite involved and probably having to be replacing the gasket at the same time, I would just go for it. I used a fairly cheap one from Autodoc, being my own car I don't mind doing it again if it fails, maybe not the same for you... :driving:
Gone - Ford Ka MK2 Petrol - Black
Will hang around to carry materials/people and in emergency - Ford Fiesta MK7 1.0 Ecoboost - Black, white rally rims, white decals, remapped
Now - Z4 Coupe - Montego Blue: Here

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:38 pm

axelleveau wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:39 pm I think it makes sense that a messed up eccentric shaft sensor would lead the ECU to get valve lift out of wack on start-up and then adjust to bring the idle back down. As you said, if it is full of oil it will probably fail eventually so despite the removal of valve cover being quite involved and probably having to be replacing the gasket at the same time, I would just go for it. I used a fairly cheap one from Autodoc, being my own car I don't mind doing it again if it fails, maybe not the same for you... :driving:
The price point will be guided byWayo11 as the whole point is to keep to a budget.
I was already planning to change the top cover gaskets as it's leaking quite a bit at the back lower corner. This would involve replacing the servo motor and cam sensor seals as well.
Did the same gasket on an E89 last week. Needs an extra pair of hands to wriggle it back in under the loom that crosses it, but apart from that not too bad.

1536Z4

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:56 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:57 pm new eccentric cam sensor anyway,
Looking at the amount of oil in there it will probably need changing plus the seal .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:03 pm

Well the plan now is that the sensor will need changing regardless, so oil, filter, sensor and all top cover gaskets ordered.
There is also some interesting info on line regarding the check valves to the solenoids. These have fine filters which can block, meaning oil doesn’t get to the solenoids quite quick enough on start up.
These are screwed into the front right of the engine and pretty inaccessible from above or below.
I think I can get at them by removing the wheel and arch liner. Be great if it’s the problem but those other bits need doing regardless.

1536Z4

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:30 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:03 pm I think I can get at them by removing the wheel and arch liner.
Yes much easier if you go through wheel arch . There is a video on you tube by George Austers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQweif8dHFg&t=533s
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:36 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:30 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:03 pm I think I can get at them by removing the wheel and arch liner.
Yes much easier if you go through wheel arch . There is a video on you tube by George Austers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQweif8dHFg&t=533s
Thank you

x_rays

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by x_rays » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:21 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:03 pm These have fine filters which can block, meaning oil doesn’t get to the solenoids quite quick enough on start up.
Microfilter has been replaced with last oil change, according to invoice by Gilberts.
Janis.