Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wind Noise

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:43 am

I find that there is wind noise behind me from the roof mechanism only when the side windows are down, BMW obviously know about this as they make a part called a convertible top cover, available in 3 different hood colours, £90 per pair, it basically fills the gap so you see no mech. bits when the roof is down, See it on the bottom of page 17 in the Z4 accessories catalogue

like here http://bmw.autowebaccessories.com/store ... _19077.php
SOLD 2006 Z4 ///M Roadster in Imola Red....As seen below
http://www.pbase.com/elliot_d/bmw_z4_m

zee42

Post by zee42 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:17 am

em2b96p wrote:i have the same problem. wind noise comign from driver side. i think its coming from the big joint right above your ear.

i dont know if there is noise on passenger side since i havent had the opportunity to take someone on the freeway yet with the top up.

ill mention it to the dealer when i go in a week

WOW!!!!! that brings back memories....I haven't had a joint above my ear since the 60's :)

Z4Z4

Re: Wind Noise

Post by Z4Z4 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:22 pm

I had my 05 in the shop 4 times for that very same thing. They (not one) of them heard it. I kept complaining until they said they would have a BMW rep look at it during his next viit, which was 5 months later. He took it on the road and said there was a problem, they replaced the gasket. They put a dollar bill in, closed the door, pulled on it and it came right out, but still insisted nothing was wrong. I went to the dollar store and bought that stuff that you can write in glass with (white), put it on the window, closed the door, and you could see where it wasn't hitting. FOR 1 DOLLAR I FOUNd THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!

Merefield

Post by Merefield » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:21 pm

Z4Z4 wrote:I had my 05 in the shop 4 times for that very same thing. They (not one) of them heard it. I kept complaining until they said they would have a BMW rep look at it during his next viit, which was 5 months later. He took it on the road and said there was a problem, they replaced the gasket. They put a dollar bill in, closed the door, pulled on it and it came right out, but still insisted nothing was wrong. I went to the dollar store and bought that stuff that you can write in glass with (white), put it on the window, closed the door, and you could see where it wasn't hitting. FOR 1 DOLLAR I FOUNd THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!
Well you knew you had the problem. Question is, has it been resolved? Did they fix it and how?
///Merefield

Merefield

Re:

Post by Merefield » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:27 pm

Curtis wrote:I had this problem with my drivers window last year. The window guides had to be adjusted so that there was more pressure between the window and the seal. If the adjustment is wrong it could also be misalignment that's causing your problem ie too much pressure in one area and not enough in another.
Well they replaced the seal once, so next i might ask them to look at the window guides - how does this adjustment work - aren't the window guides just a fixed moulding?
///Merefield

supremeart

Post by supremeart » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:08 pm

I have an issue as well, but a different noise alltogether. Sounds like a rattling noise coming from the point on the driver's side where the top meets the convertible top (with the top up). Unfortunately, right behind my head, next to my ear, so it is all I hear while I drive, not terribly loud, but annoying. When I press on the plastic part of the interior where it sounds like it is coming from, it goes away. My car only has 1100 miles on it (2007 Z4 roadster 3.0i), so I am making my way to the dealer Friday to have looked at. Any similar issues experienced?

Color

Re:

Post by Color » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:59 pm

zee42 wrote:WOW!!!!! that brings back memories....I haven't had a joint above my ear since the 60's :)
You can always count on Zee42 to add some spice to a thread! :D

Z4Z4

Post by Z4Z4 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:14 pm

I had that problem. I had my 05 Z at the dealer every week, they said it was "NORMAL BECAUSE IT'S A CONVERTIBLE" I didn't settle for that, I waited for a BMW rep, he took it for a ride and said to order a new seal, that did fix it a little. They acted like I was nuts. :fuelfire:

Now since my car was in a rearend accident and the driverside door was pushed some, I don't know how it will be.

ThisFearOfGods

Post by ThisFearOfGods » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:54 pm

Usually happens when you wash your Z4 and and open the top, it stretches it while it's wet. Another reason that could be is from driving hard. The car's body tends to twist and that could lose allignment with the window and top.

BrossardZ4

Post by BrossardZ4 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:01 pm

Hello to all I hope this problems works for you, I had the same problem, annoying wind noise on the drivers side at ear level. I needed to re-adjust the door, it is perfect now.

Ok, so you perform this by moving the door adjustment located in the door jamb. First mark the area with masking tape so you know where the current position is then unscrew very little or as little as possible. DO NOT REMOVE SCREWS I REPEAT DO NOT REMOVE SCREWS, ONLY LOOSTEN THEM, otherwise the other end will fall inside the door frame,NIGHTMARE.............................NIGHTMARE......................NIGHTMARE.............
Now move the latch a bit closer to the inside of the car sideways then tighten screws keep adjusting until noise is gone. I moved mine about 3mm and that did it, got it on the first try, be patient and this should do the trick and make sure to make the screws nice and tight but don't over kill the torque.

good luck.

Dustin

dario

Post by dario » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:40 am

i had this on my Z4 after they tried to sort out the window bounce thing!

they let some numpty work on the car and replaced the window channels. the final resting place of the window is totally adjustable in all planes!

if you can shut a piece of paper in the door seal (at the rear of the door/ window glass) and pull it out without resistance then i would argue that teh window is not canted in enough at the top / back face.

BMW do have an adjustment set up that defines this dimension. i however think that a couple of twiddles with the two adjustment screws behind the 2 plastic caps on the lower and side of the door will deal with the problem.

Dario

spokey

Post by spokey » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:16 pm

dario wrote:i however think that a couple of twiddles with the two adjustment screws behind the 2 plastic caps on the lower and side of the door will deal with the problem.
You worry me, you really do! :lol:
Cheers,
Spokey
Aebous wrote:
lacroupade wrote:
Aebous wrote:Does dating your car count?
Only if it involves something unpleasant to do with your tailpipe.... :rofl:
I wouldn't call it unpleasant :?

dario

Post by dario » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 pm

spokey wrote:
dario wrote:i however think that a couple of twiddles with the two adjustment screws behind the 2 plastic caps on the lower and side of the door will deal with the problem.
You worry me, you really do! :lol:
Spokey, just trying to spread my immense knowledge around LOL

Dario