Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Quad Exhaust Conversion

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Quad Exhaust Conversion

Post by ranski » Tue May 03, 2011 8:22 pm

I think the coupe has the battery in another location? -you really need to relocate the battery to have the additional exhaust on the roadster - just have a peek under the car to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Quad Exhaust Conversion

Post by gannet » Tue May 03, 2011 8:30 pm

ranski wrote:I think the coupe has the battery in another location? -you really need to relocate the battery to have the additional exhaust on the roadster - just have a peek under the car to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
only the M's have the battery moved into the boot rather than underneath it.. for the exhaust box :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

koolchris99

Post by koolchris99 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:43 pm

JDM wrote:
koolchris99 wrote:The bumper i believe has a cutting guide on it already so it would be a simple job for them..

The Eisenmann system is 1300 IRIC
A Cutting guide? Is this true? I was contemplating a quad conversion bur thought I would have to go down the M rear bumper route to do it?
Well your only cuttin the rear valance, not exactly much,.
Esienmann Race Exhaust, Gruppe M, Carbon Leather interior, Hardtop, CSL's, Eibach Pro springs, EBC discs, EBC greenstuff pads, Tarox Brake lines, Motul 5.1 fluids, powerflex bushs, rogue engineering mounts, Stubby, Aux, Cruise Control, Sound Generator mod

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Tue May 03, 2011 8:53 pm

Yes as pawn didnt relocate his (image below) - anyway, ill give longlife exhausts in Birmingham a call and see what they have to say as MIJ Performance in Walsall said the battery had to be relocated

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue May 03, 2011 9:09 pm

There are 2 basic ways to do a quad system:

1) Move the battey box and the petrol fume filter and then work new pipes in from somewhere behind the cats. Fit a crossover if you really want one. Probably the purest way to do it, but a lot of work.

2) take a T from the LHS backbox, or from one of the pipes feeding the single backbox. Run that pipework inside the rear bumper cover and with either a bend or collector box exit it to the RHS with a twin tip.

Most pre made systems like the one pictured above do the latter.

Ranski - email sent to you this afternoon, but looks like you skipped work :poke:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Tue May 03, 2011 9:19 pm

just picked it up Phil, thanks for this, ill have a think on what to do :thumbsup:

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Tue May 03, 2011 11:30 pm

So what would be the disadvantages of just having a T off the left hand side back box? I don't mind the bumper being cut to accommodate the new pipes (just gives me an excuse to save up and buy an M rear bumper).

What would be really good is if someone can recommend a company based nearish London. Recommendations are always better than just ringing some company up...
2004 BMW Z4 2.2i SE - Bright Red - Black Leather - Clear Brake Lights - Xenon Lights - Black Kidney Grills - Red Brake Calipers - Front Parking Sensors - 19" Redline LM Wheels - BMW Aero Spoiler - Eibach Pro Kit - Longlife Quad Exhaust System

koolchris99

Post by koolchris99 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:47 am

with a T it's pretty much pure cosmetics, you can see it's not exactly the easiest path for gasses to escape, I'd be inclined to say that increases pressure.

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re:

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed May 04, 2011 10:14 pm

koolchris99 wrote:with a T it's pretty much pure cosmetics, you can see it's not exactly the easiest path for gasses to escape, I'd be inclined to say that increases pressure.
I doubt it - has had zero affect on the performance of my car.

The main concern with the t-pipe is the condensation in cold weather. At start up it favours the left, evens out and then favours the right side (as the left reaches temp and stops condensation). There is a clip on my YouTube channel. Frankly though, I love the sound of my system so much I couldn't care less. In fact, if cost were an issue I'd take the twin box over another quad system. It may not be to everyone's taste, but I absolutely frickin' love it! As ga41 told me, 2.5l cars just don't sound like that :)

ranski, not sure where you got that image from, but later in the thread I originally posted it in there are details of the bumper modification. The company fitting it made a real mess of the job so I decided to do it myself. The cut out is easy really - just measure and measure again. The rolled under section requires a little more work, but nothing drastic - and again the key is to check your measurements time and time again until you're completely sure. Here's the link:
Pre-facelift rear bumper quad exhaust conversion
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

JOE90

Post by JOE90 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:03 am

Hmm I wanna get one now , question.I have though, having the quad fitted, will it attract more buyers when I sell it or will it put buyers off ? This place is only round the corner from me , so I might just do it. :D

http://www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/BMW_Z_ ... Style.html

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Fri May 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Thats the system that I quite fancy - I just need to find someone that has a soundclip of the system as I can't really remember how it sounds.... Any help anyone?
2004 BMW Z4 2.2i SE - Bright Red - Black Leather - Clear Brake Lights - Xenon Lights - Black Kidney Grills - Red Brake Calipers - Front Parking Sensors - 19" Redline LM Wheels - BMW Aero Spoiler - Eibach Pro Kit - Longlife Quad Exhaust System

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat May 07, 2011 10:18 am

Exactmax wrote:Thats the system that I quite fancy - I just need to find someone that has a soundclip of the system as I can't really remember how it sounds.... Any help anyone?
Interesting to see that the picture in the mstyle advert shows the same cf diffuser as I fitted and converted to dual exit. Must have been a good idea I had :)

Shame that part is no longer a BMW stock part as it really finishes the conversion with style :thumbsdown:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Sat May 07, 2011 10:54 am

Exactmax, not seen or found anyone on here with the M-Style setup - not come up in any of the discussions or in any of my searches - you'll need to Google this one. Otherwise, give M-Style a call, tell them you're interested and see if they'll contact a previous customer and see if they'll be a reference for you. No harm in asking.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Sat May 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Very true PawnScarifice - thanks for the tipoff!!! Its tricky though as Msytle are helpful one day and then just don't want to know another. I will try giving them a call and asking

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Wed May 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Well i've got mine booked in for the 24th to get the conversion done -

Im using http://www.roarpower.co.uk (birmingham) I popped down there the other day and spoke to Steve Barby about the options available, obviously he pointed out straight away that the battery would be the main problem. any how he said he would do some research and get back to me, which he did today.

Quite funny he mentionedthat they have recieved 3 other requests from Z4 owners in the past few weeks (this forum?) Once its fitted ill get some pictures up, although i wont get it back until the 26th as they said as its the first one they have done they want to spend more time on it, which is ok with me

PS they are going to work around the battery - Can anyone confirm if the inside of the standard Z4 bumper has etchings where the 2nd exhaust cut out should be?