Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Secret Life

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re:

Post by Taz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:54 pm

Mafoo wrote:Loving the pictures. Always fancied taking this up as a way of spending my weekends but strikes me as being a very costly to setup/maintain properly ????
my thoughts exactly

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: My Secret Life

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:00 pm

You can spend as much or as little as you want. I reckon a weekend costs me on average £300 -£400 when I add in B&B for a couple of nights, fuel, blended costs of repairs, etc.

My Jeep actually cost £38,000 to build so yep you can go expensive. I purchased it second hand for a song, no tax, insurance or MOT. Service and repair myself that's usually fluids every 2 events and wheel bearings every year.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Phil that does look like great fun!
A lot of fun!!!!
But unfortunately for you....you are still very much dead to me :wink:
You can still get to 99% of all dogging spots in the Zed anyways!! So why look for the hard to reach ones :roll:
Lotus Exige 350

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Woots wrote:Phil that does look like great fun!
A lot of fun!!!!
But unfortunately for you....you are still very much dead to me :wink:
You can still get to 99% of all dogging spots in the Zed anyways!! So why look for the hard to reach ones :roll:
Woots - LMAO
Actually you should have been there as in the local Manor House there was a hen party where all the women were dressed as police officers. So many double entendre I won't even start.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:06 pm

cj10jeeper, nice pictures... :thumbsup:
I haven't done that for years but of the many Jeeps I've have my favorite was a CJ5 with 30 inch tires and lockers front and rear. It would go damn near anywhere and did. Never went in a cave and that does look like fun... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:58 pm

WLH wrote:cj10jeeper, nice pictures... :thumbsup:
I haven't done that for years but of the many Jeeps I've have my favorite was a CJ5 with 30 inch tires and lockers front and rear. It would go damn near anywhere and did. Never went in a cave and that does look like fun... :thumbsup:
Yep - it would go anywhere with bar tyres and a pair of lockers. imho the civilian direct descendant of the WW2 Willys Jeep. Many of my buddies have been buying thse up around Europe to play with, cherish, restore, etc.. From genuine Willys to ex French Army Hotchkiss.

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:08 am

That is fantastic fun. Went on a weekend with an old mate once in his Bowler doing the same type of thing. I almost bought a Jeep myself after!
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:12 am

What a fantastic way to spend a weekend :thumbsup:

Caves shot looks awesome.

Am now off to write out 1000 times, "I am not buying a Jeep!"
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

EdButler

Post by EdButler » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:53 am

Awesome Phil :thumbsup:

SonnyZ4

Post by SonnyZ4 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Looks like a blast! :driving:

Kinda makes me want to start modding my Wrangler again....
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:24 pm

If you think " Coupe vs Roadster" is bad, try "Jeep vs Landcruiser". :rofl: :rofl: :poke: :poke: :poke:

My '77 FJ45 was indestructible, only got stopped once 'coz the rocks were bigger than the truck and it only fell on its doorhandles once. I did stand it up on its tailgate once, that was fun....ripped the end of the exhaust off driving out.. :D :D

Kidneys can't take the punishment anymore.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:48 pm

mcbeee wrote:If you think " Coupe vs Roadster" is bad, try "Jeep vs Landcruiser". :rofl: :rofl: :poke: :poke: :poke:

My '77 FJ45 was indestructible, only got stopped once 'coz the rocks were bigger than the truck and it only fell on its doorhandles once. I did stand it up on its tailgate once, that was fun....ripped the end of the exhaust off driving out.. :D :D

Kidneys can't take the punishment anymore.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tell me about inter make envy - amazing. Some landie guys cannot even look while a Jeep clears and obstacle. Real strange attitude.

Only stuck once - then you weren't trying. I'd reckon on winching 20 to 30 times front or rear over a weekend and without the rollcage falling on a tree or strop already on it to an anchor, then probably over once every few events.

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Aah but CJ, I was always going somewhere, from A to B, ...and B usually involved loading some poor unfortunate creature into the truck to take to the butchers for processing. ....or searching for the elusive "Big Larry the Deer" (or elk. moose, etc). ( I quit all that in '91)

Besides, someone had to be available to pull out the Powerwagons, Jimmy's and Jeeps when they got stuck... :P

(back in the 70's Jeep was pretty much crap unless heavily modded. They also had a minor problem with transfer cases, they kept falling off. :D :D ) I'd think about buying one today, maybe? I sort of like the 4 door units available now.
8) 8) 8)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Before my time mcbee I only started driving mid 70's

As far as i can see off roaders reached their peak in the mid 80's when they built them solid and over engineered. Since then they have needed major mods just to get out of a car park. Take a look at the late US TJ wranglers. They are about 3" above ground level for roll over safety and on skinny road tyres with nice protective rubber bumper corners

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:18 pm

X 2 Mid 80's was the peak.. :thumbsup: "everyone" had a 4x4 and went tearing around the bush here.

I was into chasing coyotes, hunting, a bit of bush bashing but mostly blazing across the prairie and driving the coulees. My brother in law's dad had a township (36sq. miles) of land and unrestricted access to 3 more townships (neighbours) so weekends were a blast. :thumbsup:

144 square miles of open land, coulees, streams , cliffs and all the critters that lived there. Bit of a change from Bedfordshire........where I lived before coming here. :D
8) 8) 8)