Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heated seats turn to burning seats

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
k.leeming

Heated seats turn to burning seats

Post by k.leeming » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:32 pm

As title says.

It isn't the fact that the seats are getting too hot, they are smelling of burning.

Only passenger side is affected. Only affected when a humans weight is also on the chair.

Is it due to the fact that the weight of the passenger is pushing down and causing something to burn ?

I have M sport heated electric leather seats

Ideas ?

Kane
Heated red Electric M-Sport seats, M-Sport Steering Wheel, 18" M-Sport Alloys, 2.0l Black Sapphire, Full Brake-light Mod.

No stubby, no style!

srhutch

Re: Heated seats turn to burning seats

Post by srhutch » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Iirc they don't actually work if nobody is sitting on the seat, which would explain why they don't smell then.

Dog Biscuit

Post by Dog Biscuit » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:54 pm

k.leeming wrote:It isn't the fact that the seats are getting too hot, they are smelling of burning.
Funny you should mention this as I wondered about the same thing today.

Being new to the Z I took a whiff of my tyres when I got out as I could swear that I could smell something hot and burning inside the cabin (the heated seats had not been on). Tyres were ok, be interested to know if you find anything else that could link to it as I have the M seats too.
3.0i SE Sterling / Black, Go Faster (Sport) Button, M Sport seats, 107s, Xenons, Dice Mediabridge 1500, MFSW, Cruise, Bluetooth, DSP, LEDs etc...

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:26 am

It could be a tiny bit of oil burning itself off on the engine or exhaust. You'll need a ramp or such to get under and look for any slightly oily areas though.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

k.leeming

Post by k.leeming » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:47 pm

srhutch wrote:Iirc they don't actually work if nobody is sitting on the seat, which would explain why they don't smell then.
I have to say that you are incorrect bud. I have tested this, and they heat my passenger seat without weight on the chair.

Maybe this could have an impact on what I'm smelling ? Or does it sound like I have a faulty seat ?

BTW, what's ''lirc'' ?

Kane
Heated red Electric M-Sport seats, M-Sport Steering Wheel, 18" M-Sport Alloys, 2.0l Black Sapphire, Full Brake-light Mod.

No stubby, no style!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

iirc = if i recal correctly.

iPad turned it into Iirc

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

If I recall correctly :)
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

k.leeming

Post by k.leeming » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

ahh I see :D

No stubby, no style!

It's a fair cop...

Post by It's a fair cop... » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Get it checked ASAP. My cousin had her scirocco in to VAG twice for this over the last two months, to be told "nothing wrong, miss".
Seat finally went up two weeks ago, but The fire brigade managed to put it out before it spread to the house.
Ongoing so I can't post pics or give details yet.
...but society is to blame, guv
z4 18i m sport, auto, mineral white, black kansas, 19" style 326, hawaiian tropic in the glovebox
evoque 2.2 sd4 dynamic, manual, firenze red, ebony, 19" style 5, pano roof, wurthers originals in the glovebox

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:02 pm

My e85 heated seats didn't work without the seat being occupied?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:06 pm

Sim_Simma wrote:My e85 heated seats didn't work without the seat being occupied?
Interesting, as I used to press the heated seat button on the passenger side when going to pick up the missus... by the time I got there it was nice and toasty.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:45 pm

sp3ctre wrote:
Sim_Simma wrote:My e85 heated seats didn't work without the seat being occupied?
Interesting, as I used to press the heated seat button on the passenger side when going to pick up the missus... by the time I got there it was nice and toasty.
Thats what I tried to do! :rofl: but it didn't work until she sat on it.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:52 pm

It's a fair cop... wrote:Get it checked ASAP. My cousin had her scirocco in to VAG twice for this over the last two months, to be told "nothing wrong, miss".
Seat finally went up two weeks ago, but The fire brigade managed to put it out before it spread to the house.
Ongoing so I can't post pics or give details yet.
Bloody ell! :cry:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:54 pm

I was going to say the seat may not feel hotter than usual but there may be a hot spot that is burning somewhere

k.leeming

Post by k.leeming » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:25 pm

sp3ctre wrote:
+1

It is real strange. Sounds like its going to have to be checked out. BMW obviously charge a £1,000,000 booking fee plus the labour + vat +++ with a +. Its ridiculous. Im live in Gravesend, would be nice if anyone can recommend a place close to there to get this checked out ?

Thanks,

Kane

No stubby, no style!