Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HELPPP!!!! MEEE!!!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
anhnguyen87

HELPPP!!!! MEEE!!!

Post by anhnguyen87 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi Guys!, so...

I've had my 2005 2.2 z4 for couple months now and I love it...BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM.

BOTH, yes BOTH my headlights seep water, and it has damaged the electrical components inside...I have tried to change the ballast and dry out the headlights, but the water will come back.

ANYWAY...I have decided to replace both headlights but AM NOT willing to pay the mad £800 quoted by BMW.

I have seen these after-market angel-eye headlights around but everyone, especially in the UK seems to be out of stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCFL-Angel-Eye- ... 0628211650

so I have two questions which I'm sure you fantastic people will know...

1. Any ideas on where to buy these?, preferably UK...

2. I understand it will not work on the original factory xenons, but an aftermarket HID kit should work right?

Thanks for reading, and hope you guys can shed some light on what has been a nightmare for me. Many thanks!!! :)

Nova2k7

Re: HELPPP!!!! MEEE!!!

Post by Nova2k7 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Ok firstly the ones on ebay from america are all left hand drive, and so are not legal! i've been doing a lot of research into this as currently my driver side light have been damaged due to water. get in touch with a company called 2xcite, they have some stock coming in at the end of November, i'm already on their list for a pair but i've been told they sell quickly.

I've had confirmation from 2xcite that these are right hand drive lights that work only with Halogen cars, they have also said that their lights work if you have auto leveling.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:01 pm

where is the water coming in, typically its the rear access panel cover, replace both with new seals may solve your problem and cheaper than replacing headlights.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:15 pm

mac27040 wrote:where is the water coming in, typically its the rear access panel cover, replace both with new seals may solve your problem and cheaper than replacing headlights.
What he says!

Take the lights out, and dry them out.. I would have thought the ballasts are water proof?

Dogmatic6

Post by Dogmatic6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:25 pm

aquazi wrote:
mac27040 wrote:where is the water coming in, typically its the rear access panel cover, replace both with new seals may solve your problem and cheaper than replacing headlights.
What he says!

Take the lights out, and dry them out.. I would have thought the ballasts are water proof?
In most cases the water comes in from the rear panel as the rubber seals have perished. The panels are £10 each from bmw.
Water gets into the ballast by seeping through the electrical connection. The water then has no where to go and submerges the circuit board inside the ballast.

I replaced my ballast and rear panel which resolved the issue.
Z4M Silver Grey with Red Leather

anhnguyen87

Post by anhnguyen87 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Excellent!!..Rear panel ordered from bmw £12 each (not bad)...picking them up today, so will give that a go...if ThAT does not work then NOVA2K7, will ne going with your guy for the headlights..

I will let you guys know how it goes..be back soon!

anhnguyen87

Post by anhnguyen87 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:47 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE ADVICE GUYS!!...the seals seem to have done the job. Theres a bit of liquid left but it should burn off after a few more drives with the lights on.

A a happy bunny. Thank you!

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 pm

That's great news :thumbsup:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,