Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gear Change Issues (SMG)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
scousefly

Gear Change Issues (SMG)

Post by scousefly » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Really starting to hate this car now as I seem to be continually dipping into my pocket for funds to replace/repair something else.

Started car up tonight to come into work and all appeared ok. pump priming for SMG and never seen any issues. Goes down the road and pulls the paddle towards me and no gear change happens, pressed the paddle away from me and it changes up gear WTF :x
Changing gear via the stick is normal and without issue. So I stop, switch off and resume and it appears to be ok, I think. I performed the reset mode(50-60mph, into neutral pull both paddles towards me, back into gear) just in case and played the gearbox symphony into work(up n down the gears) and cant get it to replicate.

To my knowledge during servicing no one has mentioned oil change on the SMG box, however, this sounds more like an electrical issue :headbang: What do You Think??
Life is a bitch which occasionally needs her chain yanking to bring her back into line

bcworkz

Re: Gear Change Issues (SMG)

Post by bcworkz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:57 am

The difference between upshift signal and downshift signal is the amount of resistance in the line, so shifting the wrong direction indicates an electrical issue. As does the stick working perfectly. The problem is likely the paddles themselves or the volute connection to the column, or one of the intervening connectors. You'll have great trouble identifying the exact location until you can reliably replicate the fault.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)