Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Loud 'thunk' when driving over a small elevation in road

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Color

Loud 'thunk' when driving over a small elevation in road

Post by Color » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:44 pm

The other day I was out driving and at an intersection sped up to cross before the light changed to red. What I did not see due to the markings in the road was a small acute elevated ridge just at the entrance followed by a small depression which subsequentely lead to what appears, from the g-forces we felt, to have been a small jump and a hard landing. At what seems like the same time as the hard landing there was a loud thunk from the car.

It was rather loud and got us worried. After an inspection around & under the car as well as the suspension mounts I could not see any visible damage anywhere. My guess is the springs was contrated fast & to it's limit and the thunk was from the springs when they could not contract any more.

Our speed was not very fast, this was a 50 km sone and we were probably going at 10-15 over at the time (sped up to cross before it turned red, remember).

So I'm curious if anybody have had similar experiences, or any one which is more car-wise than me could give me any clues as to what the big metal thunk really was and if I should have the car revised in any way.

Thanks.

zee42

Post by zee42 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:07 pm

sounds to me like the struts compressed completely on landing and made the loud sound you heard.If your car is driving ok now i would not worry about it.should any issues arise in the future have them checked,you might have bent one of them,could also have been the car bottoming out,in any case if you damaged anything you would be able to tell by now.Quit trying to impress the chicks and drive like a normal person from now on :lol: :lol:

Color

Post by Color » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:53 pm

You are asking ME, with that cat/shark avatar, to be . . . NORMAL ? ? ?

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting your opinion on the sound, by the way! :thumbsup:
It had us scared for some seconds until I checked the car and found nothing.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:05 pm

I had the same thing happen to me. Miss judged a railroad grade and got air. Hard landing and an alarming loud thunk. That was about a year ago and no damage has surfaced... :D
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

zee42

Post by zee42 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:37 am

Color wrote:You are asking ME, with that cat/shark avatar, to be . . . NORMAL ? ? ?

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting your opinion on the sound, by the way! :thumbsup:
It had us scared for some seconds until I checked the car and found nothing.

I realize that asking you to be normal is quite a stretch...but I thought "what the hell...I'll give it a shot" :lol: :lol:

zee42

Post by zee42 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:40 am

WLH wrote:I had the same thing happen to me. Miss judged a railroad grade and got air. Hard landing and an alarming loud thunk. That was about a year ago and no damage has surfaced... :D
That's easy for someone who got kicked out of the state of Maryland to say !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:51 am

zee42 wrote:
WLH wrote:I had the same thing happen to me. Miss judged a railroad grade and got air. Hard landing and an alarming loud thunk. That was about a year ago and no damage has surfaced... :D
That's easy for someone who got kicked out of the state of Maryland to say !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey...I been kicked out of bigger states than Maryland... :wink:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:56 am

On topic again ... :wink:

Slightly surprused that a jump would do that though. On my other Z, I had a 4 wheel lift off (by accident) and landed without any noise what so ever (except for my "ohhh shhhhhhhhh*" )
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:24 pm

May have been the differential causing the "thunk'. :idunno:

zee42

Post by zee42 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:09 pm

I think he pushed his wife out :guns:

Ski

Post by Ski » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:44 pm

It was probably your ride bottoming out..
My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
'06 325xi Loaded

ay8306

Post by ay8306 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:18 pm

If you landed hard, you might want to think about an alignment check. Even if you did not do any permanent damage, you cold have buggered your alignment which could cause sevre tire wear.
2006 Z4 3.0si Sapphire Black/Dream Red

dario

Post by dario » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:44 pm

this has happened to me several times and it is generally how you described it. the THUNK is SOOOOO loud that you think the dash is about to detach itself.

IMHO it is the shocks being compressed too fast by the sudden small deviation and not enough time exists to releive the pressure in the strut by the valving system. then the strut is solid and hence the noise..... thats my opinion!

Dario

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:26 pm

dario wrote:this has happened to me several times and it is generally how you described it. the THUNK is SOOOOO loud that you think the dash is about to detach itself.

IMHO it is the shocks being compressed too fast by the sudden small deviation and not enough time exists to releive the pressure in the strut by the valving system. then the strut is solid and hence the noise..... thats my opinion!

Dario
Well it seems every day is an education for me!.... welcome to the forum Dario! :D
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

dario

Post by dario » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:52 pm

sorry forgot to add that when the strut is soid it passes the shock wave directly though the car and thats why it sounds like it does (basically you think that the front of the car has fallen off or the engine is on the floor) its that bad.