Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just Fitted My Intravee

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
n1k_85

Just Fitted My Intravee

Post by n1k_85 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi All,

I Have just fitted my intravee to the Z4 (While parked up in my work car-park :lol: ) The whole install & Laptop Setup took around 20 minutes.

I decided that since i will probably be removing the Intravee when i sell the car i decided to leave the CD Changer in situe. I also may install a TV Module in the future so I can always remove it then if need be :)

I just used a Stanley knife to cut an 'X' around the pull string on the rear wall boot carpet and flicked it out like a big button. With this done the carpet can be easily lifted with a full view of the rear of the CD Changer. I Whipped out the wires to that and plugged them into the Intravee, then the intravee into the Alpine Unit. I fed the iPod lead through the gap between the Nav DVD Unit and the CD Changer. From inside the cabin i could see the end connection of the iPod lead but couldn't quite reach it to pull it through, so I (very carefully) inserted a large flathead screwdriver (covered in a rag) into the gap and turned it slightly to open the gap a little more. It only needed about 1mm of space and using another small screwdriver I was able to extract the end of the cable.

After i had used a Laptop to change the UI settings on the Intravee (I bought it used with a different setup that mine) I temporarily secured both units using velcro to the rear wall and replaced the carpet.

I have just ordered some of this on eBay to secure it fully:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0365687850

I used the same stuff on various parts of my VX220 and was very impressed with the strength of it. Its like velcro but there is only one side (no male/female) and it is so strong that you have to really give it a good pull to get it apart. :thumbsup:

I have only had a quick play with the iPod in the car while parked up, but i will add to this thread later on when i've used it a little more.

From what i've seen so far it seems great! I had an Alpine iPod H/U in my old car and i missed it like hell when i moved to the Z4! I hate having to burn stuff to CD every time i want to change the music in my car :thumbsdown:

The only problem is that I left my 16GB iPod with the buyer of my old car :roll: so now i'm left with a 2GB until he sends it back in the post :)

Here are a couple of extra pics i took today showing how I accessed the rear of the CD changer, the BMW owners manual folder came in handy to allow easy access :D I have since cable tied and tidied up the wiring.

Last edited by n1k_85 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Z4 3.0 Auto Roadster, 18" Ellipsoids, BMW Bluetooth Phone Kit, Heated Seats, Intravee iPod Unit, Professional Sat Nav (updated with 7 Digit Postcode, Speed Cameras and 2009 Maps)

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Just Fitted My Intravee

Post by gannet » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:43 pm

Great job and sounds easier than pulling the center console out... :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:29 pm

Excellent :thumbsup: I'm about to order the intravee2 for my car and was gonna get someone tofit it but having read your 'how to' I'll save the money and do it the same way.. :D
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

wasupdu

Post by wasupdu » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Can you display the navigation map AND also the select a track on your ipod? In other words, does the does the navigation map go away when you select a track on your ipod? I have NAV and DSP, and it's really a deal breaker for me since I like to always have the map visible...even if I'm shuffling through tracks on my ipod. For this reason, I opted to install an AUX input, even though the sounds quality isn't *perfect*.
2005 BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0 - Black with Red Extended Lthr / M6 wheels / Premium Pkg / Sport Pkg / Htd Seats / Xenon / 6-disc / AUX / NAV
2005 BMW 525i / Premium Pkg / Cold Wthr Pkg / M5 wheels

GlenTheEd

Post by GlenTheEd » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Just used this guide, fantastic! Made the job so easy for a nervous DIYer. Many thanks.

pungo

Post by pungo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:59 pm

wasupdu wrote:Can you display the navigation map AND also the select a track on your ipod? In other words, does the does the navigation map go away when you select a track on your ipod? I have NAV and DSP, and it's really a deal breaker for me since I like to always have the map visible...even if I'm shuffling through tracks on my ipod. For this reason, I opted to install an AUX input, even though the sounds quality isn't *perfect*.
The NAV has a split screen mode that allows map and music at the same time.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:47 pm

:thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.