Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Do not comment on spam posts please!

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Liam-O

Re: Do not comment on spam posts please!

Post by Liam-O » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:04 am

is there no forum add on that could auto ban people trying to post the kitchens URL, or at least stop them posting?

Whilst they are not too frequent, and the mods pick them up very quickly, why not put something in place so that the mods are wasting their time, repeatedly removing this crap?
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:45 am

Liam-O wrote:is there no forum add on that could auto ban people trying to post the kitchens URL, or at least stop them posting?

Whilst they are not too frequent, and the mods pick them up very quickly, why not put something in place so that the mods are wasting their time, repeatedly removing this crap?
If you can suggest something that'd be great, but I don't know of anything at present.

... and thanks for those who reported the spam this morning, made it easy to get rid of it in a few seconds rather than having to weed out the replies too :thumbsup:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 am

You're welcome - woke up stupid early, couldn't get back to sleep, got on the forum and did some spam-busting. Job done, public service for the day complete. Now going back to bed :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:12 am

Maybe new joiners are not allowed to post until their account has been manually activated by the admins?

I guess (if they have time) they can better assess if the account is genuine or not by email address and profile detail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:34 am

On some other forums your account has to be ok'd before you can post. While you may not be able to tell sometimes it might put them off if they see it as a bit more hassle to ply their wares on the forum.

Liam-O

Post by Liam-O » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:01 am

For the low number of spam posts, I don't think it's right to restrict all new members.
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16 am

Once they mention the word 'kitchen' we're all over them like a rash. :D
2015 Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe 25th Anniversary Limited Edition (#0195), personal number plate
2005 Series 1 116i Sport, Titan silver, personal number plate

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:56 am

Lillywhite wrote:Once they mention the word 'kitchen' we're all over them like a rash. :D
Why would anyone post an ad on kitchens on a car forum?? I'm not looking for new cupboards in my Zed. :thumbsdown:

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:32 am

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:34 am

Damn it... one more :x
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 41#p730756

You should file a complaint with that company

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 am

Bad_Pritt wrote:
Lillywhite wrote:Once they mention the word 'kitchen' we're all over them like a rash. :D
Why would anyone post an ad on kitchens on a car forum?? I'm not looking for new cupboards in my Zed. :thumbsdown:
I guess it is bots - pretty simple to can the net for forums, register a name and password and an email address, then post away - all automatically.

Perhaps including a simple Turing Test on email verification would work for members signing up - those funny wavy letters and numbers a lot of sites use ? Or are they easy for computers to understand now ? Can't remember if I had to do one when I signed up...
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:01 am

Bing wrote:
Bad_Pritt wrote:
I guess it is bots - pretty simple to can the net for forums, register a name and password and an email address, then post away - all automatically.

Perhaps including a simple Turing Test on email verification would work for members signing up - those funny wavy letters and numbers a lot of sites use ? Or are they easy for computers to understand now ? Can't remember if I had to do one when I signed up...
Might not be a bad idea to get rid of those a-holes...

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 am

TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:56 am

I built and ran a forum for a number of years and spam was a constant problem. Most forum software has mods available to help but it is pretty much impossible to get rid completely. The main problem is a lot of the time these are real people based in the Far East so sign up countermeasures aren't much use. :-(
E46 M3 SMG. Photo (c) Bing :-)
Previously E85 3.0 SE

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:01 am

There's loads of them this morning. :(