Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2009 Z4 s35i metallic clunk in rear end

bigendbob

Re: 2009 Z4 s35i metallic clunk in rear end

Post by bigendbob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:44 am

I've noticed the clunk starting to come back again. When i turn 90 left or right, but not yet as previous when going over speed humps or reversing.
Greasing the anti roll bar bushes cured the problem previously. But might need a more long term solution. Wonder if this is a situation requiring some polyurethane bushes? The rubber bushes just might be gripping the bar too much.
When reversing at full lock my front wheel on the outside of the turn jumps or kicks as if i have driven over a small branch or stone.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 am

Oddly enough I had a nice BOING from the back going over a speed hump last night (at 15mph). I've checked my suspension when having tyres replaced, having heard this once before, and all looks ok. I'm guessing its the anti-roll bar sticking too. Its rare I hear it though.

bigendbob

Post by bigendbob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Well definitly back today, every turn seemed to give a clunk. I almost wait in anticipation. Drives me nuts. I assume the grease has probably migrated away from the rubber bushes.
When i first investigated the problem i resorted to climbing into the boot whilst a friend drove the car. Theres a definite bump noise on the lower boot floor right hand side. I have even recorded the noise on a camera left in the boot! Almost sounds like someone hitting the underside with a soft hammer.
Best way to replicate the probelm is to drive the nearside wheels up the curb stones on the slopping bit of a dropped pavement to a drive way. As the one side is lifted and the rear lifts the clunk occurs.This is what i used when showing the BMW tech guy the last time i visited.
Problem was they spent all day on it till they finally greased the anti roll bar bushes. Seems to be a sticking plaster cure and not solving the real problem.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:53 pm

New bushes, or louder HiFi I'd say...

bigendbob

Post by bigendbob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Looking at these might give'm a go;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-E89-Re ... m35c466840
Interestingly it says they come with grease, yet i'm sure the originals are rubber, one assumes normally they wouldn't need grease.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Cheap enough to have a go...

soundboy10

Post by soundboy10 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:13 pm

I'm also having the same problem. Had the car just over a week, didn't notice at first, unless I was still like a boy in a sweet shop. It really sounds like its coming from within the car/boot, as opposed to under the car.

The luggage cover in the back was loose on one side which I clipped back in, but still the same problem. Although one side is not as stiff as the other. Think the noise is too loud to be this when it is all clicked in, but you never know.

bigendbob

Post by bigendbob » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Well fitted the poly bushes, took me about an hour using a car lift. Quick drive around the block and seems to have done the trick. No clunking when reverse turning. All seems nice and tight! Will have to see how long it lasts.

Well, have now driven home....no noises whatsoever, even rear end feels slightly tighter.
So anyone with clunking rear, i would highly recommend this mod. for what it costs.....happy motoring :thumbsup:

Would be nice to get some for the front.

Fozzstar

Post by Fozzstar » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:45 am

I am new to the forum and have just had the same problem. A BMW main dealer test drove the car, heard the clunk, and then inspected the rear suspension, but couldn't find anything (they had suspected a broken spring). They contacted BMW who told them to use a special tool to 'listen' to various suspension components. This tool was called a 'chassis ear', and is attached at various points on the suspension whilst test driving the car. The tool has headphones so the tester can hear any unusual noises, or compare noises from the left with the right (eg, dampers, springs, etc).

The car went back in a few days ago and they used the 'chassis ear' tool. They narrowed the clunk down to the driver's side rear suspension damper (the car has the adaptive suspension option). A new damper is on order from Germany. Let's hope that sorts it!
E89 Z4 sDrive 35i Roadster (Sep 2009). Automatic 7-speed double clutch. Adaptive M Sport suspension. Multi-spoke 18" alloys style 293. Comfort access. Heated seats & steering wheel. Deep Sea Blue metallic with Canberra Beige extended leather

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:51 am

That's interesting, I used to have the same noise and never raised it with BMW. I too have the adaptive suspension. The noise is gone now. In fact I've spent so much time on this car its almost silent lol

Fozzstar

Post by Fozzstar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Maniac wrote:That's interesting, I used to have the same noise and never raised it with BMW. I too have the adaptive suspension. The noise is gone now. In fact I've spent so much time on this car its almost silent lol
Maniac wrote:That's interesting, I used to have the same noise and never raised it with BMW. I too have the adaptive suspension. The noise is gone now. In fact I've spent so much time on this car its almost silent lol
My car went into the main BMW dealer in Bath today for fitment of a new adaptive rear offside shock absorber.

I just collected it and the 'clunk' has gone! They also checked the ride height (not sure if anything was altered).

Problem sorted :D

Having read your other posts about fixing rattles and squeaks from the roof, I have greased everything in sight and things have improved - thanks!
E89 Z4 sDrive 35i Roadster (Sep 2009). Automatic 7-speed double clutch. Adaptive M Sport suspension. Multi-spoke 18" alloys style 293. Comfort access. Heated seats & steering wheel. Deep Sea Blue metallic with Canberra Beige extended leather

grizzly

Post by grizzly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:39 pm

I had the metallic clunk sound on reversing at an angle out and in of my driveway. We bent the rear brake shield back for more clearance and so far it hasn't come back!!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:15 pm

Time has moved on and over the winter there was still a bumping noise from the suspension on bumpy roads. Even a passenger commented they thought a damper had failed.
So i replaced the dampers with Bilsteins and that firmed the rear somewhat. But there is still an underlying bump felt under the drivers seat.

My original bumping was quite noticable like someone hitting the bottom of the boot with a rubber mallet before i replaced the anti roll bar bushes.

Having now looked through a 2007 BMW TIS, which doesn't cover the E89, it was interesting to note on a earlier model of a BMW, that a knocking noise was reported and a cure was to talcum powder the rubber mounts either end of the rear barrel springs.

Apparently it suggests the springs on compression are gripping the rubber and pulling it away from the body and rebounds with a bump.
The knock i hear certainly would sound like rubber hitting the bodywork.

Having recently removed a spring i washed the rubbers and noted that the end of the spring was starting to cut through the rubber.

I will try the talc and might even try some replacement rubbers as they are cheap enough.