Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Can you change the gear selector buttons to paddles?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Tassi

Can you change the gear selector buttons to paddles?

Post by Tassi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 am

I really do not like the gear change selectors on my 35iS, but prefer the normal paddles which just about every other car seems to have, does anyone know if they can be swapped?

thanks
Last edited by Tassi on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4 sDrive 35is
Alpine White, Black V's on 19's
Red Leather
Wing Mirrors back to white
Stubby

Previously - Alpina Roadster S

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Can you change the gear selector buttons to a paddles?

Post by Maniac » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 am

Both the older (silver style) and newer (black style) paddles, are 'paddles' so I'm a bit confused what you mean by selectors. Do you mean rather than push pull you want pull shift-down on left and pull shift-up on the right? In which case yes you can buy the paddles from a dealer and they're a straight swap for the push pull paddles on earlier year cars.

Personally I've only ever driven mine with push pull so I'm used to them. Easy for me to remember, push either left or right and you go faster, pull them to go slower... I think the down on left and down on right is ok if you're on track with your hands glued to the wheel. For me though, on the road, the ability to change gear with either hand, up or down is preferable to me.
Last edited by Maniac on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chasBMW

Re: Can you change the gear selector buttons to a paddles?

Post by chasBMW » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 am

Im with Maniac on this one , I think the older style push/pull is a much better idea
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

Tassi

Re: Can you change the gear selector buttons to paddles?

Post by Tassi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:47 pm

I've got the traditional left paddle for down, right for up on my XF, and I have used it on other cars and I much prefer that to what I have on my Z4, if it can be changed does anyone know where to go besides BMW as every time I go into Sytner's everything seems to cost a grand!!!!
Z4 sDrive 35is
Alpine White, Black V's on 19's
Red Leather
Wing Mirrors back to white
Stubby

Previously - Alpina Roadster S

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:01 pm

This is an OEM part... would you trust a third party set? A dealer is your only option. Perhaps try ringing round a few dealers?

K99

Post by K99 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:36 pm

What I'd really like is a gear lever that is push forward for 1st rather than reverse :cry: I'm sure BMW has a reason or logic for this but I can't for the life of me think what it is.
sDrive 35 M Sport 2012 DCT
Melbourne Red/ Ivory White

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 pm

For that matter a gearbox that wants to go into reverse.. Try a quick 3 point turn with the DCT .. Ain't gonna happen..