Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Updated buyers check list

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Updated buyers check list

Post by Bing » Sat May 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Agree - I checked the cd player and all the lights when I was buying mine. In fact I pressed every button and checked the operation of everything :?

Didn't do an AA or RAC check though, which I will always do in the future if I buy a 6 year old car. Could've waived me £700, or at least pointed me back in the direction of my search.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Rialas

Post by Rialas » Sat May 19, 2012 9:22 pm

AlanJ wrote:
Rialas wrote:
krusty wrote:E86 Coupe: SELLER's GUIDE

If the buyer asks for a discount, politely laugh .. then explain that there are only a tiny number of coupes in the country, ... that they are buying a modern classic .... and that the chance of finding a better one is frankly so impossibly remote, ... that once yours is gone, it is gone ... smile some more ... then look at your mobile phone txt msgs ...
Agreed.
If someone turned up with a bunch of cd's and wanted to test the function of my multi-cd play or whether both brake lights work, I'd politely ask them to find another car.

Handy guide though.
Why ..... if I buy something I want it to work. No point in making a purchase and then whingeing a month later that the CD player didnt work. Of course if you are happy to turn away a buyer merely because they want to make sure everything works then fine :poke:
Hi Alan.
Hadn't realised this was an older post and as I said great advice and I wish I had the patience to go through all the items you listed.

It's just that, as a buyer, when I viewed my car, I had decided that I wanted it and a faulty cd player or something minor, would not have prevented me from buying the car. For example, since buying it, the pdc has started to work intermitently (was definitely working on purchase), and again I'm not fussed as I'll probably put right out of my own pocket even though my car has six months warranty. I buy an older car expecting a few things to need sorting maybe sooner than later. For me fettling and improving is part of the enjoyment of owning a cool car.

Who knows maybe I'm just strange and not your normal buyer, but I'm not as cautious as most although I probably should be.

Costa.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sun May 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Costa,

Totally agree with you. This risk is always with the buyer and what checks a purchaser chooses to do or not to do. But whatever advice is given on here there is always a steady stream of people who discover problems after purchase just because they chose not to do a few simple and often basic checks, not only when purchasing privately but from dealers - 'Got my new car home and the service book was missing stamps....' etc. Caveat Emptor as they say.

Cheers

AJ
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:19 pm

offer a silly price, thats just not on, right is right and wrong is wrong, we've all been insulted by unrealistic offers by chancers and mickey mouse dealers at some stage of car ownership. people expect a little room for manouvre as vendors often add a few hundred to allow for this to be negotiated down. but a car is worth what it is worth and buyers should be big enough to stump up the right money, because you never know when you might need to sell, and there's nothing worse than some schmuck coming round ,pulling your pride and joy to bits verbally and then insulting your intelligence with a kick in the gonads offer, if you get one of these types , tell them where to go in no uncertain terms. a local trader offered me 5k for my s50 z3m roadster,... t**t ! i sold it 10 days later to a lovely guy from bath for 8100, he was thrilled to bits, that trader would have been asking 9500 for that car,... his loss , not only that car but my possible future custom and anyone else i can advise to go elsewhere. karma took care of that tho as he fell off his harley and shatterd his foot a couple of weeks later :rofl:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:41 pm

i always check the cd system works :oops:
factory fit units are notoriously expensive to sort or replace & i don't like aftermarket so why not try your own discs ?

* great guide BTW :thumbsup: sometimes the obvious can easily be overlooked in the excitement of the car hunt
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

corsaire77

Post by corsaire77 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:58 pm

It's wise to take the electronic paint meter - I used to borrow one from a friend.

Also, examine the engine bay for any moved or unoriginal screws - a tell-tale sign of an impact.

Shamu1982

Post by Shamu1982 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 pm

In the process of looking at a few cars at the moment. Cracking guide, ta :)

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:59 pm

The links alone have been useful for me in the process of looking at Z4's, then the addition of the extensive guide as well is a real bonus, so thanks for taking the time to put it together for newbies like me, it is much appreciated.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 am

AlanJ wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:50 pm ...
You can find out your exact spec here by putting your reg in to generate your VIN:

https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/login/index
That doesn't seem to work any more... have they maybe stopped it for security reasons? It does find the car, and show its basic spec, but no more than that. Or am I doing something wrong?
2007 Stratus Silver E86 Coupe with Amarone interior | 1990 Mini Cooper | 2017 Golf GTi

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed May 15, 2019 7:59 pm

No, it doesn't work any more. They changed it earlier this year - I think it's something to do with GDPR. :(

Same as when you buy a car your new V5 doesn't show the previous keeper any more.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Matty_Z4

Post by Matty_Z4 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 pm

roblightbody wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 am
AlanJ wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:50 pm ...
You can find out your exact spec here by putting your reg in to generate your VIN:

https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/login/index
That doesn't seem to work any more... have they maybe stopped it for security reasons? It does find the car, and show its basic spec, but no more than that. Or am I doing something wrong?
This one works for me and it doesn't even have to be an M car.
https://www.mdecoder.com
2005 E85 3.0i

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Matty_Z4 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 pm This one works for me and it doesn't even have to be an M car.
https://www.mdecoder.com
There are a few VIN decoders, but I think what "roblightbody" is looking for is a way of getting the VIN from the Reg. No.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Wed May 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 pm There are a few VIN decoders, but I think what "roblightbody" is looking for is a way of getting the VIN from the Reg. No.
Yes exactly, it would be very useful while shopping for a car.
2007 Stratus Silver E86 Coupe with Amarone interior | 1990 Mini Cooper | 2017 Golf GTi

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Sat May 01, 2021 10:47 am

Buying guide superb - the dec 2009 3,5i DCT I bouht last November had a printout from the dealers of work done. Don't think it include anything not on list but for any one interest
06.2011 8313 Replace rear vent
10.2012 13104 Shift quality in “D” downshift double clutch DKG too rough
07.2013 15021 Control unit electronic damper control EDC short circuit note unit replaced
05.2016 37461 Wiring harness roof module,(retractable hardtop) interruption
04.2017 51360 E*x(RHD petrol engine)positive battery terminal line repair cable
04.2017 52365 Both front shock absorbers serious fluid leak -note both replaced (EDC)
07.2017 56790 Drive cylinder, rear module RHT(retractable hardtop). Permanent failure
04.2020 68686 (main)electric coolant pump. Permanent malfunction
06.2020 70272 Cylinder head cover gasket leaking
“ “ Fuel injector. Permanent malfunction- note all replaced
“ “ Rear spring broken

Current Faults
05.2021 Cylinder head cover gasket leaking
Leak from oil filter mounting
Whistle on turbo at low speed
Rear damper leaking
Warranty still in place so above should be sorted soon (Styners had forgot to stamp book or update key readings when they sold as as approve used in Sep 2019)
Edit posted in e85/6 will try to find same for e89 and post in that
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

Mr_E85Bim

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:02 am

Totally agree, there is nothing wrong with wanting to make sure everything works!!
Thank you for this guide, it is quite simply amazing for someone like myself. Not all of us buy dozens of cars through our lives and so find sources like this invaluable!! :thumbsup: