Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ZHP Gear Knob - Illumination Mod - Incomplete

Half Colin

ZHP Gear Knob - Illumination Mod - Incomplete

Post by Half Colin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:28 am

In the words of Top Gear "How hard can it be?"

This is just a 'Try to' at the moment but who knows it might develop into a 'How to' .

So far I've removed the insert with no damage whatsoever so the point of no return hasn't yet been reached and I've got some orange, red and amber 3mm LEDs on the way. What I really need to know is what the inside of an illuminated M gear knob looks like - how many LEDs and where placed etc.

Getting the insert out was quite easy. I used one of my wife's nail thingys as it was sharp but flat and rounded if you know what I mean. Just press the thingy firmly down between the insert and the leather. Then lever out the insert and you'll feel the double side sticky tape start to give.

Once the LEDs arrive I'll see what they look like through the insert and match the colour to the existing lighting but in the meantime if anyone knows what the inside of an illuminated M knob looks like it would be a great help.

Now E92 330D M Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers and carbon badges soon
Sold E86 3.0si Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers, carbon badges, ZHP, stubby and NO RUNFLATS!

srhutch

Re: ZHP Gear Knob - Illumination Mod - Incomplete

Post by srhutch » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:36 pm

I posted you a link on the other thread, have you not read it :poke:

http://www.bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6116

Half Colin

Post by Half Colin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:51 pm

srhutch wrote:I posted you a link on the other thread, have you not read it :poke:

http://www.bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6116
No sorry didn't see that post until you just mentioned it here. If I had I wouldn't have started this one. I'll study it and see if it's worth carrying on. Thanks.
Sold E86 3.0si Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers, carbon badges, ZHP, stubby and NO RUNFLATS!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:01 pm

You'll see you need to remove some of the internal material and also find a 6 speed insert from somewhere that will let the light through but still look silver when not illuminated.

I got as far as you but because I couldn't find the inserts anywhere at a sensible price gave up.

Half Colin

Post by Half Colin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 pm

srhutch wrote:You'll see you need to remove some of the internal material and also find a 6 speed insert from somewhere that will let the light through but still look silver when not illuminated.

I got as far as you but because I couldn't find the inserts anywhere at a sensible price gave up.
I've put the insert in front of a torch and the light does shine through the silver bits but I'll have to wait to see how bright the LEDs are. It might well be that the LEDs are not bright enough in which case I'll probably give up as well. 8)