Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Washing / swirl marks

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
wills

Washing / swirl marks

Post by wills » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:42 am

I know this subject has been done to death, and that to get rid of swirl marks there are methods out there.

However, washing my black car atleast once per week and only having 20-30 mins to do so there seems to be no way of avoiding swirl marks?

I know there are ways if you have 1-2 hours, but with a quick wash & chamois dry it seems impossible?

Half Colin

Re: Washing / swirl marks

Post by Half Colin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:11 am

I obviously don't know your commitments but I would have thought you could find more than 20 mins a week to look after your pride and joy.

Anyway, having a black car as well I sympathise and there are lots of things you can do to mitigate swirl marks even with a 30 min wash.

1. Use the 2 bucket method with a grit bucket in the rinse bucket. After using on the car the wash mitt goes straight in the rinse bucket never back in the shampoo bucket.
2. Wash 1 panel at a time and if possible rinse immediately with a hose.
3. Use quality wash mitts. I have 2, one for bodywork above wheels and one for below.
4. Use a good drying towel and never use a chamois.
5. Use a good car shampoo.

I wash my car every week and that process takes about 30 mins. :thumbsup:

Washing is also easier if you have a good grounding of wax. I try and wax mine every 4-6 weeks.
Now E92 330D M Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers and carbon badges soon
Sold E86 3.0si Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers, carbon badges, ZHP, stubby and NO RUNFLATS!

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:59 am

As well as the above, also find time every other week to apply polish to the car too....Poorboys Black Hole or AG SRP, this will mask the swirling and a good wax as above will seal it in

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:10 am

Give mine a final rinse using an inline water purifier just to make sure nothing remains on the surface and nothing in te water to cause the dreaded swirl marks - seems to work for me.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Banbury

Post by Banbury » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:12 pm

I agree with other posts re: grit guard in bucket and using decent wash mitt etc. The biggest change I made was moving from Chamois to MIcroFibre cloth for drying off etc. Would also say it may be better to spend 1-hour every 2-weeks than rushing it every week with a 30min clean.

wills

Washing / swirl marks

Post by wills » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:58 pm

AlanJ wrote:Give mine a final rinse using an inline water purifier just to make sure nothing remains on the surface and nothing in te water to cause the dreaded swirl marks - seems to work for me.
Thanks all - if you ever fancy doing mine sometime you're more than welcome!

Inline water purifier sounds like a great way to go. Where did you get yours from?

michael5155

Post by michael5155 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:04 pm

My guess is most of your swirls are happening when you are drying. Have you thought of using a strong leaf blower to dry the car? I also think there are blowers out there designed especially for blowing the car dry rather than wiping it with a towel, but I understand they are quite expensive.

michael5155

Post by michael5155 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:04 pm

My guess is most of your swirls are happening when you are drying. Have you thought of using a strong leaf blower to dry the car? I also think there are blowers out there designed especially for blowing the car dry rather than wiping it with a towel, but I understand they are quite expensive.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Guys guys guys... have you not tried the microfibre cloths - the yellow packets from Costco are fab.

Most of my neighbours have acquired one from me after seeing how effective they are... just suck the water off & far better than any chamois - will never go back to one of these now, ever...

Know black coloured cars r a killer to clean properly, though even on these get good results

J

PS pickie below in signature was washed just with a bucket of cold water & wiped over with one in the morning...
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:23 am

I use a leaf blower. 10 mins on a warmish day.

Less contact with the paint the better.

If you do dry with a towel don't wipe but blot. Then use last touch or some other quick detailer as this acts as a lube and gives a great shine.

Snowfoaming a car for a wash is another way of reducing swirls and a good wax makes washing and drying so much quicker.

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:23 am

I use a leaf blower. 10 mins on a warmish day.

Less contact with the paint the better.

If you do dry with a towel don't wipe but blot. Then use last touch or some other quick detailer as this acts as a lube and gives a great shine.

Snowfoaming a car for a wash is another way of reducing swirls and a good wax makes washing and drying so much quicker.

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:26 am

Jembo, the cloths are fine, but a drying towel will just do it one go with one cloth.....I use the yellow ones, but only for glass, the interior and wheels etc....never on the paintwork....there are better cloths, albeit more expensive ones, but I do whatever I can to avoid the swirls...

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:43 am

I find the best way to avoid so many swirls is to is to wash the car every 4 months :oops:

bheiss

Post by bheiss » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi guys.
All your tips are great and I can add a couple more as I had a black Van years ago and found that a real challenge.
Remember, the initial gentle rinse goes a long way to taking off the worst offending dirt. Surprisingly, the finest dust comes off easy and it is the one that will give you those horrifying spider swirls. Always use a gentle touch along with a gentle rinse; kind of "float" the soapy water off the paint surface.
Use the standard top to bottom wash techniques along with straight lines. Two buckets, is the only way to go.
As to the drying methods, all the tips already provided are right on the mark.

Love the forum, lots of great tips for all aspects of owning a Z4.

Bob - B.C., Canada - 2003 Z4 3.0i.