Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to get the best out of your dealer....

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

How to get the best out of your dealer....

Post by AlanJ » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:43 am

I felt inclined to post this as with the majority of issues with dealers posted on this site the complaining member merely states that he/she is dissatisfied with BMW service etc etc. Firstly when using a dealer it’s NOT BMW UK (or any other country) it’s the dealer themselves who hold a BMW franchise you are complaining about. There are good and bad as in any service industry. Yes you can use BMW UK to assist in resolving matters but your complaint if there is one is with the dealer.

So how can you reduce the potential for things to go wrong?

SERVICE
If you are booking a service make sure you as the owner know what service you want, what you should expect from the service and how much you are going to pay. If you are not going to authorise any other work which they may find during the service SAY SO AT THE TIME! If they find anything which needs attention over and above the service get them to call you and give a number (mobile) you have access to all the time. You can then decide if you want it doing or not, agree prices, times etc. Tell them not to wash it if that’s what you want and endorse the paperwork accordingly. Agree an exact time for collection and out of courtesy make sure you are there at the time. If it’s not ready then time to complain.

HANDING OVER YOUR PRIDE AND JOY OVER
DONT JUST HAND OVER THE KEYS. Take the service rep out to your vehicle and do a quick check round for current damage. It takes 5 minutes. Note the mileage and set the trip to zero. Having been at one dealer for several years they now know that’s what I want and do it every time. When you get it back DONT ACCEPT THE KEYS until you do a similar check with the service rep. Note the mileage and trip reading, yes they may do a road test but only a few miles. If they want your return custom (and in this current economic climate they do) they will do it. All too late when you get home and find damage. Put yourself in their position – you collect you car without checking, several days later you notice damage and take it back to the dealer telling them it’s their fault – ‘Wasn’t there when I brought it in..... etc etc.’ Would you accept that – I think not.
Agreeing service costs and spend limits, handing over the vehicle for service as I have outlined above takes only a few minutes more than just taking it in and handing over the keys. Result – generally satisfied customer and dealer. Yes things do go wrong but at least doing the above you mitigate the risk and can quickly identify who is responsible.

REPAIRS
Repairs outside service are exactly the same in terms of handover and agreed cost limits. If they can’t tell you a cost then set a limit after which they should call you. Ask what diagnostics they will carry out and costs. Using this Forum and others gives you a good opportunity to tell them what you think the problem is. I gave my dealer details of the Forum and one relating to the 3 series and they now use this info to help them in their diagnostic process. My 3 series had a problem with the High Pressure Fuel Pump – at first they couldn’t identify the problem – 5 mins search on the E90 forum – problem identified and new pump fitted, problem solved and hours of wasted time (and my money) in diagnostics etc saved. OK so the dealer didn’t make as much money out of it but then again I’m a regular customer and with 2 BMs and a Mini he can’t afford to lose that income.

COMPLAINING
If you have a complaint make it as quickly as possible. Identify who you are speaking to, date, time etc and follow it up in writing to the Dealer Principle straight away! Don’t spend weeks on the telephone with anonymous people. Be calm and polite (yes I’m sure you will be angry) but it’s the best way to start. Keep details of everything, take photographs of damage etc etc. If the incident cannot be resolved and you seek legal redress then your case will be so much stronger if you have retained full details and a documented history of events. Citizens advice are a good place to get quick legal advice and many will give you details of solicitors who will give you a free 30 minute consultation to assess your case. If you intend seeking legal advice then notify the dealer – this sometimes has the desired effect in quickly resolving an issue. County court is a relatively easy process and plenty of websites to advise you how to go about civil litigation.

PURCHASING NEW OR PRE OWNED
I have already created a thread regarding pre purchase checks but am still amazed at how many people buy without doing the proper checks. Buying a car is perhaps the second largest financial purchase most of us will make – house is first. When you buy a house you get an independent surveyor in to confirm its condition but some when they buy a Zed get so taken over by the moment they just hand over the dosh and get home to be totally disillusioned and disappointed when the faults mount up. Yes and for a new car to. Take time to check it. Try everything to make sure it works. If there is a fault with the car and the dealer agrees to fix it DO NOT TAKE OWNERSHIP OR HAND OVER MONEY, SIGN AGREEMENTS until it’s fixed to your satisfaction. One guy on here recently had problems after purchase and contacted the finance agent (BMW finance) and was surprised at their lack of interest – they just lend you money! If you borrowed money from your bank to buy a car would you expect them to assist if there was a fault? Second-hand car sales are a dealer responsibility not BMW UK although they may assist in sorting out problems.

It’s not difficult to reduce the potential for problems to develop. Just a few simple precautions, checks etc will ensure you get good service to agreed prices, your car purchase new or second-hand goes smoothly and you get enjoyment from you purchase as soon as you turn the ignition key for the first time.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How to get the best out of your dealer....

Post by flimper » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:22 am

Well said :thumbsup:
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Dev

Post by Dev » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:34 am

Quite possibly one of the most common-sense posts regarding attitudes towards dealers I've read in a while. The sceptic in me says that if it's read by those that need it most, it will be noted but forgotten when the time comes - but at least you've made the effort to post a good rational way of treating the process of buying a car and getting it serviced. :thumbsup:

Would it be too harsh to link to this in response to a 'whinge' post? Not wishing to make light of anyones misfortune, but it does serve quite well to put things in perspective, even if it's not what the person concerned wants to hear...
2003 E85 Z4 3.0 Titanium Silver

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:14 am

As per usual Alan an excellent post. Has got me thinking about my first inspection, hmmmm
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:25 am

excellent and a contender for another link in your signature AlanJ :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:04 pm

gannet wrote:excellent and a contender for another link in your signature AlanJ :thumbsup:
Thanks for the comments ...... and the link done! :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:51 pm

Good sound advice! :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

johnlondonw3

Post by johnlondonw3 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:19 pm

that's all very well in Southern Sudan but here in UK he might have a few problems ...do you get much trouble with the sand ?

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:14 pm

johnlondonw3 wrote:that's all very well in Southern Sudan but here in UK he might have a few problems ...do you get much trouble with the sand ?
North Sudan - desert and sand, Southern Sudan forrest and jungle (and bloody huge insects....!) :cry:

Woke up the other morning with a preying mantis on my bed (no not Mrs J) :P

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:34 pm

AlanJ is like your dad, always gives great advise :thumbsup:

I took my car for a service at weekend, as I have already ready many of AlanJ's post I requested the service gut to inspect the car with me, he did it without any question - BMW Rochdale

Z4 Fetish

Post by Z4 Fetish » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Great Post! I must say I have purchased three cars sight unseen and have been very fortunate to find honest sellers which were more than willing to fix small details which were an issue IMO.

My Z was purchased sight unseen and I loved her at first sight! A few days after the purchase Hubby saw some slight hail dents on the hood . I called the dealership and explained that I shouldn't expect hail damage on a BMW which I had paid a sizeable amount of money for. The salesman agreed readily and the hail dents were removed ASAP.

I have come to realize Anger will usually get a negative response but when I stay calm,cool and collected I receive good service. :wink:
2008 Z4 3.Osi
Monaco Blue Metalic
Dream Red interior
License plate FETISH
WindRestrictor Windscreen

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:07 pm

andysat wrote:Good sound advice! :thumbsup:
X2... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Good solid advice.

Only thing to add would be if you have a complaint, explain politely & clearly what you want done to resolve your issue... As those who whinge just for the sake of whinging will only annoy & not get anywhere
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:31 pm

So as we approach a new car purchasing season and getting our Zeds ready for 'summer fun" I thought I would just resurrect this post and which may be of interest.

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:39 pm

A great post they only thing I would add is it really pays to build up a relationship with the service desk and after sales manager - I ve found time spent doing this has been beneficial in every newish car I've bought . if your into cars and show a keen interest in their side of the business they tend to go that extra mile . If done correctly you never get to the stage if the complaint it's been sorted before you've even been aware.

Just noticed Jembo has posted similar :oops:
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix